D&D: Horror on the Hill: Beginnings

Spiderman

Administrator
Staff member
The cliff is 80' high.

** Sure, I guess you can do that... I'll put a -2 modifier on it because of the distance and the weight of the rope. But with your normal +3 to hit, that shouldn't be a problem... :)

Si'Nat ties his rope to one of his arrows and shoots it up to Cugel. As everyone shades their eyes to watch its progress, the arrow arches up.... up.... up.... and score! It tops the cliff!

As it lands besides Cugel, he has the quick presence of mind to grab it before the weight of the rope drags it back over the cliff.

Tying the ropes together, it becomes long enough for the party to traverse up the cliff from the base. After tying it to a nearby tree, Cugel throws it over the side and it comes flying down to the rest of the party. With the assistance of Cugel shouting directions and the rope, Wilhelm manages to climb up to the cliff to meet him.

T

train

"Cugel, Wilhelm... is there a clear path for us to continue on from there?"

Mooseman

Isengar Tussle
Wilhelm immediately pulls out his parchment and ink to start sketching what can be seen form this vantage point.

B

BigBlue

Patrick

Cugel, you weren't kidding, the view is beautiful... if not for all the nasties...

I think we need to rest a turn before heading on, gather back up the rope and such.

Which direction?

B

BigBlue

Forgive me, I think I misunderstood... If we aren't all going up there, then I'll wait below like a good little mage... But if we are all going up, I'll climb the rope. (And too bad I don't have levitate, spider climb, or rope trick...) :)

T

train

(I read 310 - but there isn't mention of a path... Just the views...)

"Cugel - is there a way for us to travel onward from there???"

D

DarthFerret

I will be one of the last ones up, as it might be handy to have me here if anyone else falls (healing).

Oversoul

The Tentacled One
train said:
(I read 310 - but there isn't mention of a path... Just the views...)

"Cugel - is there a way for us to travel onward from there???"
I pretty much just reworded what Spidey told me, so you know as much as I do...

TomB

Administrator
Staff member
"I aint'a climbin up at all lessen somthin's trying t' eat us," says Rondo.

Spiderman

Administrator
Staff member
** All right, I thought it was fairly clear and you guys could figure things out :), but there is not a path on the top of the cliff. Just what Cugel relayed: the river rushing through from the south-southwest, another 80' cliff to the south, this time with a waterfall from the river, and dense undergrowth to the south-east/east side. Right now, just Cugel and Wilhelm are up at the top.

D

DarthFerret

Well then, I suppose that they should shinny back down here and we should continue on.....

T

train

"Come back down guys - we need to move on if there is no way for us to continue up there..."

Spiderman

Administrator
Staff member
It takes a turn for Cugel and Wilhelm to climb down and the party readies themselves for the long walk back. No sooner had you started when a group of four squat-like humanoids come into view along the trail in the direction of where you are going. They resemble humans, but have ape-like features, including large brows above their eyes. They have a variety of stone weapons in their hands. They stop when they see you and hold their weapons loosely guarded, but don't seem very aggressive.

Oversoul

The Tentacled One
*Will move out of their way (after making sure I'm not backing into something more dangerous looking. If Si'Ko decides to shoot them, I suppose I'll have to back him up.*

T

train

"Ahhh.... Game Time...."

(Nocks and draws the bow and releases it...)

"I go first..."