Warhammer Quest: The Sylvan Epic

Oversoul

The Tentacled One
-Ty's Pit Training kicks in. He moves and attacks before the first round of combat starts.
-Ty applies Blade Wash to his Fist Spike. From now on, it is a Magic Fist Spike. Also, for this turn and the next one, the weapon gets +1 to hit.
-Ty charges the goblin big boss across from him, but gets off-balance and his first strike with his fist spike falls short.
-Ty slams into his opponent with a big attack, bringing in his Knuckle Dusters for extra damage (3 damage).
-Ty slices at a goblin big boss, but the monster ducks beneath it.
-Ty springs at a goblin big boss with a knee strike, throwing in his Knuckle Dusters again as well (5 damage).
-Ty lands a second knee strike (2 damage), but these goblins are clearly much tougher than the ones that he's fought before. His opponent remains standing and snarls, preparing a counterattack.
-Dorgath throws a bag of Flash Powder to disorient the enemy. The Warriors get +1 Attacks this turn.
-Goblin Shaman Boss Skodder casts 'Ere We Go. The goblins become flooded with power, gaining +1 Attacks and + Toughness.
-Goblin Shaman Boss Skodder casts Brain Bursta on Dorgath (17/21).
-Tomas casts Freeze! on Goblin Shaman Boss Skodder, but his foe is successfully able to resist the spell.

Tomas sees that the goblins here are wearing some crude trinkets that give them each some potential to resist magic used against them. (Magic Resistance 5+)

Some characters, either through their own abilities or from items, have Magic Resistance, which is what it sounds like. They can, on a high enough roll, resist the effects of hostile magic used against them. Dorgath is wearing an Amulet of Vindication, so he has Magic Resistance 6+. Goblin shamans and goblin big bosses have Magic Resistance 5+. Tomas rolled a 1 for his Freeze! spell, then the shaman rolled 6 to resist it. :(

-Kelgar blesses Carrow and Throg with Vanquish, granting them +1 Attacks this turn.
-Throg hypnotizes a goblin big boss, causing his victim to lose 3 attacks this turn.
-Carrow shoots Goblin Shaman Boss Skodder (1 damage).
-Carrow unleashes a second arrow at the shaman (2 damage).
-Carrow fires another shot, but it flies wide.
-Carrow lands one more arrow, but it isn't a very solid hit and Skodder's spell gave him enough toughness to resist the damage.
-Revaethan charges at one of the goblins, but his foe is armed with a magical sword that afflicts him with its enchantment (Revaethan is now afraid of Goblin Big Boss #4 and his attacks against that foe are at -1 to hit).
-Revaethan slashes wildly and completely misses the goblin, coming closer to hitting himself with his own sword than anything.
-Revaethan readies a more calculated strike, but his Fear causes his aim to falter.
-A goblin big boss slashes at Dorgath, but the dwarf nimbly avoids the attack. Distracted by Throg's glowing eyes, the goblin fails to make further attacks.
-The goblin fighting Tyresius trips up on its first attack.
-A goblin big boss hits Ty with a glancing blow, but its sword is one of those wickedly sharp ones and he still takes 1 damage (14/15).
-A goblin big boss starts swinging again, but Ty steps in and pushes his attacker.
-A goblin big boss makes a big swing, but Ty sidesteps it.
-Another goblin big boss attacks Dorgath. The first strike is deflected by his axe, and the goblin's cursed sword warps itself to try to reach the dwarf, but Dorgath, to his own surprise, somehow isn't hit.
-A goblin big boss throws another attack at Dorgath, but the dwarf, desperately maneuvering to keep his axe between himself and his fast-moving attackers, manages to block it.
-A goblin big boss goes for another attack, but accidentally drops its sword.
-Picking the sword back up, the goblin tries to blindside Dorgath, but trips over nothing and fails to complete the attack.
-A goblin big boss stabs Revaethan (14/18).
-A goblin big boss hacks at Revaethan, but the wardancer dances out of range.
-A goblin big boss makes another slash, but Revaethan parries it.
-A goblin big boss loses its balance and falls, catching itself on the wall.
-Throg lobs his Ice Missile, freezing Skodder, which was kind of what Tomas was going for.
-Throg plants his axe in one of the goblins that is fighting Dorgath (2 damage).
-Throg hacks at a goblin big boss again, but the monster's armor protects it.
-Throg misses his next swing.
-Throg winds up for another swing, but trips and bumps into Dorgath.
-Throg kicks a goblin big boss (1 damage).
-Throg bites a goblin big boss (2 damage).
-Throg swipes a goblin big boss with his razor claws (2 damage).
-Ty wrestles a goblin big boss to the floor and plunges hit fist spike into his foe's throat, finally finishing off one of the goblins.
-Ty's Fist Spike brings him forward into the space occupied by the monster he killed. He lunges at the goblin fighting Revaethan, but trips over a goblin corpse.
-Ty cuts a goblin big boss (2 damage).
-Ty stabs at a goblin big boss, but now that he has the goblin's attention, his attack is parried.
-Ty catches a goblin big boss with a knee strike and his Knuckle Dusters (1 damage).
-Ty lunges for a second knee strike, but is tossed aside.
-Dorgath clobbers a goblin big boss with his axe (7 damage).
-Dorgath hacks into a goblin big boss hard enough that its armor only partially protects it (1 damage).
-Dorgath chops his opponent again (2 damage).
-Dorgath kicks a goblin big boss, but his attack bounces off the goblin's armor.

Next round...

-The Power Phase is 6 for this turn.

R

rokapoke

Tomas, undaunted, attempts to Freeze! the Goblin shaman once again, targeting big bosses as well if the roll permits.

TomB

Administrator
Staff member
Ty will as well, continuing to battle goblin bosses but noting whether the shaman unfreezes and switching over to attacking the shaman if possible if/when he starts to cast a spell to try and interrupt such action.

Spiderman

Administrator
Staff member
Man, I must have had some lucky rolls/they had some unlucky rolls when attacking me... also, I need to increase my speed, since apparently I'm attacking last and thus am on "cleanup" detail. That's no good! :)

Dorgath does the same, attacking the goblin big bosses unless Skodder unfreezes, then attempts to attack/reach him.

TomB

Administrator
Staff member
Ty wonders to himself if Skodder isn't the only thing that's frozen in this scenario...

Oversoul

The Tentacled One
Me too! But yeah, I've just had other stuff occupying the time that I'd ordinarily have used to update this. Soon, though.

Oversoul

The Tentacled One
Man, I must have had some lucky rolls/they had some unlucky rolls when attacking me... also, I need to increase my speed, since apparently I'm attacking last and thus am on "cleanup" detail. That's no good! :)
Short legs get you there slower. :p

Oversoul

The Tentacled One
-Dorgath's Lifestone of Ashraz restores 3 of his Wounds (20/21).
-Tomas waits to cast his Freeze! spell so that he can time it for when Skodder, uh, thaws out. This makes sense. You have to wait for something to thaw out before you can freeze it. Everyone knows that. This is a thing that definitely makes sense.
-Kelgar blesses Carrow and himself with Vanquish, granting them each +1 Attacks this turn.
-Throg fails to hypnotize anything.
-Carrow waits for the shaman boss to thaw out before shooting at him.
-Revaethan uses his Woven Mist technique, trading his normal Move and Attacks for a total of 5 combined Move and Attacks this turn.
-Revaethan swings at a goblin big boss, but the monster sidesteps.
-Revaethan impales a goblin big boss on his sword (4 damage).
-Revaethan completely misses his next attack while struggling to pull his sword free.
-Revaethan's magically induced fear causes his attack to fall short.
-Revaethan slips on goblin blood. Ew.
-A goblin big boss cuts into Dorgath. This goblin's sword seems to pass right through armor, slicing into the flesh beneath it (15/21).
-A goblin big boss outmaneuvers Dorgath and cuts him again (10/21).
-A goblin big boss throws in another powerful cut. Dorgath is reeling from his wounds (5/21).
-A goblin big boss lunges past Dorgath, overshooting the dwarf in its haste. But the goblin's cursed blade warps itself to reach Dorgath.
-The blow is deflected by divine intervention! Looks like praying at that temple back in Middenheim paid off.
-The goblin closes in on Dorgath, but the dwarf employs the greasy Norscan escaping technique that his learned in alehouse sparring.
-A goblin big boss slashes Dorgath and finally lands a bit, but armor absorbs most of it (4/21).
-A goblin big boss thrusts at Revaethan, but the wardancer slips past the attack.
-A goblin big boss stabs Revaethan, but his Toughness is enhanced by his magic swords and belt. He takes no damage.
-A goblin big boss cuts Revaethan (13/18).
-Throg's Ice Missile attack misses.
-Throg winds up and smacks his own helmet with his axe.
-Throg tries again, this time hitting a goblin big boss in the head, instead of himself (3 damage).
-Throg hacks into a goblin big boss, but the blow is absorbed by armor.
-Throg kicks at a goblin big boss, but his victim is narrowly able to avoid his boots.
-Throg attempts to bite a goblin big boss, but gets distracted when he sees the axe that banged on his helmet and find himself attempting to bite his own weapon instead of a goblin. Oops.
-Throg suddenly turns his attention back to his opponent and, with a swipe of his razor claws, severs the goblin's throat and what appear to be some arteries as well.
-Goblin Shaman Boss Skodder thaws out.
-Tomas casts Freeze! Skodder and the two remaining goblin big bosses each take 3 damage. The goblin that dealt a bunch of damage to Dorgath succumbs, collapsing before Dorgath can swing his axe at it. The one fighting Revaethan remains standing, but is clearly in bad shape.
-Goblin Shaman Boss Skodder casts Da Krunch on Tomas. The wizard is stomped on by the mighty foot of Gork (10/19).
-Goblin Shaman Boss Skodder casts 'Eadbutt, directing magical energy at Tomas. The wizard triumphs in the contest and the spell fades away with no effect.
-Carrow attempts to fire a fire arrow, but is distracted by the pretty fire on the fire arrow and fails to fire his fire arrow. Silly Carrow.
-Carrow shoots Skodder with a fire arrow (3 damage).
-Carrow shoots the shaman boss again (6 damage).
-The fire from the fire arrow fired by Carrow burns Skodder (5 damage).
-Kelgar charges in and finishes off the shaman with a hammer blow to the torso.
-Dorgath trips the last remaining goblin to the ground and tears into the struggling greenskin with his axe.
-Kelgar's Ring of Jade restores 3 Wounds each for Dorgath and Revaethan. Praise Sigmar.

Oversoul

The Tentacled One
After the last of the goblins dies, you feel another presence. The phantom images of Coril and Jekaena appear in the room. They seem to be in the middle of an argument...

"I already told you: I can't tell you!"
"If you won't tell me anything, then why are we even discussing this? I have to go. You can stay or you can come with me. But I must do this. There aren't enough of us left as it is."
"Your parents would never allow this, Jekaena."
"Don't even try to throw that at me! Even if it's true, I'm not a child anymore."
"This is nonsense. I can't let you go with them."
"I don't need your permission, cousin. I don't need grandfather's permission. I don't need the council's permission. This is my task."
"No! The time is not yet right. The fullness of time has not been reached. It is summer. It can't be summer."
"What? More of your secrets, Coril? Well, that won't dissuade me."
"I have to get out of here. I have to find—you're making a mistake, you foolish girl. What if you die?"

Coril rushes out of the room with a confused and frustrated look on his face. Jekaena frowns. She strides across the room and the image begins to fade away.

"What happened to you, Coril? What horrors did this to you?"

R

rokapoke

New power phase? Regardless (as I'm pretty sure I still have a good bit of my Power Store remaining)...

Tomas will cast Lifebringer on himself and Dorgath.

TomB

Administrator
Staff member
Did Ty sit that last part out, or what? :rolleyes:

Ty will also join in to the loot search.

Oversoul

The Tentacled One
Did Ty sit that last part out, or what? :rolleyes:
Heh. Kind of. Because you mentioned that he'd be watching for the shaman to unfreeze, and because I knew how hurt the goblins were (been debating whether I should show enemy Wounds totals in combat instead of just damage taken), I had Ty waiting to attack the shaman that would unfreeze, then I forgot that he technically couldn't reach the shaman (didn't have enough Move to get around the other characters). So then he was there to finish off another goblin, but Kelgar got a lucky roll, so Dorgath didn't need to go after the shaman and could instead attack the last standing goblin. Ty could have as well and could have attacked sooner than Dorgath (higher Initiative), but in my head I'd already had Ty going after the shaman by that point. Looking back, he didn't move, so I did mess up a bit. Could be interpreted just as Ty being ready to strike where needed, while Dorgath charged in like a maniac as soon as he wasn't being repeatedly hacked at by the goblin that did 15 damage to him in one round. It sounds plausible and if I were a good DM, I'd probably contrive some explanation like that, but the truth is that I finished updating the combat round while I was on lunch break at work yesterday, and I got my wires crossed on the placement of characters on the board. :oops:

For practical purposes, it doesn't matter. You'll still get the same amount of gold. Once I finally distribute gold from the encounter, I'll do it evenly (with remainders split such that Revaethan collects a bit less than the other party members). There was some convoluted agreed-upon system that I'll remember at some point and possibly get back to, but this adventure is a bit crowded and I don't want people losing out on gold if they choose to provide some support or defensive role or whatever, or fighting over who gets to be frontline melee based on who is greediest instead of actual strategy (not that I think that would really be the dynamic going on with this particular group, but you get the idea).

Eventually, gold probably gets weird, as you guys are all making about the same amount per dungeon, but different characters have varying uses for gold beyond training to level up. Like, Kelgar has accumulated a lot of gold, but from what I remember, there aren't that many things for a priest to be spending money on anyway (although I might be forgetting some things). Whereas with a supply of gold and time to make lots of settlement visits between adventures, a pit fighter could (besides buying class-specific weapons and armor and paying off his debt) attempt to visit lots of fighting schools and hope for good random results that earn him more points to spend when he does level up. The wizard and chaos warrior are probably even worse about this. I'm just speculating, but I vaguely remember that when I did some testing in "solo" campaigns with the default party of Barbarian/Dwarf/Elf/Wizard, generating random boards and encounters and such, I eventually split a wizard off to just take on dungeons on his own, as by Level 6 or so, he had gamed the system enough that he was virtually unstoppable, learning so many spells that he was able to hit on some combinations of spells that between his magic and his equipment (much of which I'd passed to him from the other characters, but whatever), he could keep hitting enemies and making it so that they couldn't hit him back.

Oversoul

The Tentacled One
Loot...

Another Icon of Nurgle: this one and the one Throg is already carrying are the power source for the barrier that blocked the party from getting into the fountain chamber.

Ring of Power: Choose one characteristic the first time this ring is equipped. The ring gives +1 to that characteristic while worn. Worth 500 gold.
Book of Arcane Knowledge: Roll 4D6 when opened. Use the total to select spells as though learning new Wizard spells. Each spell in the book can be cast once for no Power cost, then the page crumbles. Worth 1000 gold.

Enchanted Cane of Tenacious Movement: This cane allows grants a Move characteristic of up to 3 so long as the bearer is capable of reaching an upright standing position. Even if the bearer is encumbered, drunk, bleeding out, hamstrung, and with shoelaces tied together, this can allows forward movement. Presumably worth some amount of money, but Revaethan would strenuously object to attempts to sell Jekaena's property while she might still be alive.

Skodder's Notes: Ugh, more goblin notes. Who taught these guys how to spell?

R

rokapoke

Skodder's Notes: Ugh, more goblin notes. Who taught these guys how to spell?
Skodder can still probably teach writing to some of the college students I teach...

Tomas greedily eyes the Book of Arcane Knowledge. "This one's for me, right?"

"Also, with both Icons we should be able to get in the blocked-off room. I think we should heal up first, though."

Tomas casts Lifebringer on himself and Dorgath (as mentioned in my previous post).