Warhammer Quest: The Sylvan Epic

TomB

Administrator
Staff member
Moving right along, Ty leaves the room and takes up a watch position in the hallway, giving Tomas time to remember what magic studies he's well-versed in so he can figure out if he can read the magic stuff in the journal or not...:p

R

rokapoke

Tomas is still thinking about his past education. He'll remember today, if he can squeeze in some time during lunch or something.

R

rokapoke

Tomas finally recalls that he is of the Light Order, an expert in the Lore of Light. He had also dabbled (albeit briefly) in the Lores of Metal and Fire, acquiring some strength in those fields. The other Lores, however, he really only experienced in introductory seminars during his first semester.

TomB

Administrator
Staff member
"So, is there anything useful in that journal then?" asks Ty without turning around. "We should really keep moving here..."

Oversoul

The Tentacled One
Sorry, I'd been meaning to get to this earlier and I had decided to make changes to some stuff I'd prepared for the next arm of the adventure (you guys are too strong and aren't in nearly enough danger of dying). Through sheer laziness, I still haven't gotten to that. But that's no reason to hold this up...

Tomas gets Revaethan and Carrow to closely examine the mentions of Khaligri. They come to the following findings...

-Other than Orm and a "candidate" whose name is either encoded or substituted with a title, Khaligri is the only person the author bothers to focus on and repeatedly call by name. And for those other two individuals, mentions are usually in the context of magic rituals (the author appears to be trying to emulate Orm's magic and follow in his footsteps, and the "candidate" would seem to be a sacrificial victim for some ghastly ritual). Mentions of Khaligri are generally non-magical in nature, with the author extolling her beauty or just repeatedly inserting her name in the middle of other mundane notes.
-Dark elves are known to be able to use magic to lull others and bend them to their will. While Tomas doesn't have direct experience with this, he has heard of the phenomenon and strongly suspects that Khaligri was using her magic to manipulate the author of this book.
-Tomas gathers that some of the magic here is related to the Loren forest and even more specifically to the seasons here, which are important. He notices that much of the magic isn't really that complex and that someone versed in the magic of Loren would easily be able to interpret it, but he seems to be missing key information to put everything together. Still, he can tell that part of the author's goal was to ascertain timing details, that the rituals he wanted to perform had to be done in the right order and at certain times and places. The whole thing was probably intended to disrupt some natural cycle.
-Most of the magic described here is experimental, with a visible record of trial and error. The author may not have been a novice mage, but was clearly out of his element. In contrast, the rituals attributed to Orm are painstaking copies of something far more elaborate and ancient. Tomas gathers that Orm is/was a powerful necromancer.
-Although Tomas is not absolutely certain, he thinks that he has grasped the author's goal with all of this magic. Everything here was preparation for extracting heartwood from certain (presumably very important) trees in the Loren forest, grinding the wood up into chips and despositing them into a cursed basin, cutting out the heart from a victim (known as the "candidate" or "subject"), and burning the organ in the basin, finally breathing in the resulting smoke and channeling the Witch King (leader of the dark elves), presumably cursing the entire forest, stealing its magic, and giving the performer of the ritual massive power.

TomB

Administrator
Staff member
So, um, yeah, north sounds good Dorgath. Assuming standard marching order and looking for traps, secret doors etc. and being alert for enemy activity...:)

Oversoul

The Tentacled One
The party leaves the room and heads north. At first, this is uneventful. They pass out of the T-junction section and along a corridor. The passage stretches further, terminating in a dirty, disused door.

-The Power Phase is 1. An Unexpected Event occurs.

You suddenly come upon the slumped figure of an elf, crawling toward you and calling for help in a piteous voice. He reaches toward you and collapses. His cloak falls away, revealing a face disfigured by plague. Dorgath and Tomas are close enough to be affected...

-Dorgath resists Nurgle's Rot.
-Tomas is afflicted by Nurgle's Rot. He has -1 Toughness until...
  • He dies.
  • He drinks 3 healing potions.
  • He pays 2,000 gold in a settlement.

R

rokapoke

"Carrow, you have what I need to relieve myself of this plague. May I have two of your healing potions to add to my one?"

Tomas casts Ogre Strength on Tyresius to prepare for what may await beyond the door.

TomB

Administrator
Staff member
Would a swig off of a Heal-Itt potion serve as a healing potion for these purposes? If so, I'll offer one to Tomas to hopefully cover the other 2 he needs.

"Here, try a sip of this Tomas...It always makes me feel better..."

Oversoul

The Tentacled One
Would a swig off of a Heal-Itt potion serve as a healing potion for these purposes? If so, I'll offer one to Tomas to hopefully cover the other 2 he needs.

"Here, try a sip of this Tomas...It always makes me feel better..."
You know, I pulled the "Nurgle's Rot Encounter" from one of the original books and I think the Pit Fighter character hadn't been created yet when they wrote that part about healing potions. But there were already some treasure cards that offered different kinds of healing potions. Some only heal 1D6 Wounds with one use, some have multiple doses, etc. So I'm assuming that whatever potion is used for this, it is fully consumed. A Heal-Itt potion could be one of the three, but you won't be getting the multiple usages out of it.

TomB

Administrator
Staff member
I've still got 13 of them, so he should go ahead and down it all I reckon...

Spiderman

Administrator
Staff member
Mooseman said:
"Disued door? So where did this unfortunate elf come from?"
From my experience with the Warhammer game app and reinforced from Oversoul's introducing it as "An Unexpected Event", it's just a random-type thing that has no bearing on the actual storyline.

Dorgath listens at the door, checks for traps, and if he hears and finds nothing, opens it.