Warhammer Quest: The Sylvan Epic

TomB

Administrator
Staff member
Ty would happily apply the Blade Wash to his fist spike, given the opportunity. And proceeding north sounds like a good idea, in formation and ready for action...:)

Spiderman

Administrator
Staff member
As we're heading north, Dorgath stops.

"Hold up guys, there's something strange about this part of the wall."

Dorgath starts to examine a portion of the western wall, even kicking it a little.

Oversoul

The Tentacled One
Ty would happily apply the Blade Wash to his fist spike, given the opportunity. And proceeding north sounds like a good idea, in formation and ready for action...:)
I'll assume you're taking it with you, but not applying it yet until there's a fight, so the temporary to-hit bonus isn't wasted...

The feminine voice magically echoing through the dungeon returns, this time murmuring too softly to make out any words at first...

"...got to evacuate. They're trying to poison the water supply. I can't stop them. Can't move. Go away. Run away without me. Get out, get out, get out!"

Revaethan smacks himself on the forehead with the palm of his hand...

"I remember now! Her name is Jekaena. And the other figure we saw, the warrior, was Coril. But I still don't know what's going on..."

Meanwhile, Dorgath's fiddling with the wall opens a secret door to another room. Discarded papers and broken items suggest that, before this place was torn apart, someone was using it as a study. Tucked in the corner of the room is a bundle of torn elven clothing.

Revaethan: "And I also didn't know about this. It's too bad we didn't have time to bring one of the locals down here with us. I have been to this temple before, but clearly I am out of my element."

Spiderman

Administrator
Staff member
Dorgath enters and searches the room for any other items that might be hidden in the wreckage of the room.

TomB

Administrator
Staff member
Yes, I'd like to save actually applying the Wash to the spike till an encounter occurs, though I'd assume it won't be all that long till it does...

Ty will also have a look around...:)

R

rokapoke

Tomas will poke around as well, hoping to find traces of magic and/or magical artifacts.

Oversoul

The Tentacled One
Dorgath checks for secret doors in the secret room, but there don't seem to be any. Searching turns up some items...

-1 Cloak of Loren
-15 Arrows of Loren
-A journal

Spiderman

Administrator
Staff member
"I'm assuming these items will be of use to the elf, at the least."

Dorgath peruses the journal but passes it off to Tomas if it's magical writings.

Oversoul

The Tentacled One
Dorgath doesn't know if it's magical writings or not. His upbringing in Zhufbar did not prepare him for deciphering elven script.

Oversoul

The Tentacled One
Carrow and Revaethan both examine the journal. They begin to think that perhaps Tomas might be the better person to look into it after all: much of the journal seems to deal with some sort of magic. There are diagrams and tables containing arcane symbols. The author appeared to have been in the process of translating from other languages to the author's own apparent Wood Elf language, but had not yet gotten very far in these pages. On the pages with a lot of magic-focused content, most of the elven writing is cryptic notes: dates, times, locations (all within the Loren forests), and terse mentions of other topics ranging from insistence that certain individuals need to be "investigated" to commentary on the weather. There are some longer passages in Wood Elven script. In some cases, they might be lists of reagents for spells. Some of the spells are labeled, "First Test," "Second Test," and so on, but there are also other labels, including "Orm's First Ritual," "Essence Scrying," "Purity Assay," "Orm's Fifth Ritual???, and "Terminal Clock."

The author keeps detailed descriptions of his dreams (dates and times recorded for each dream), most of which seem to end with him dying horribly. In fact, if it weren't for all of the spells and grocery lists, this could accurately be described as a nightmare journal. On the pages about dreams, and sometimes on separate pages entirely, the author seems to rave, berating himself, but also heaping ire on a lot of other people: his neighbors, his relatives, his commander, the trees, Oberon and Ariel, the high elves of Ulthuan, all dwarves everywhere, some wood elf lord that Revaethan is pretty sure has died a very long time ago, and unicorns. Reading this stuff, Carrow and Revaethan definitely get the impression that the author despises unicorns, and also that he is completely insane.

The last section of the book is just more magic diagrams, a lot of them crossed out. But before that, the author has some room to get more raving in. He obsesses over two topics in particular. The first is "heartwood" and something about harvesting it. The second is a woman. Her name is Khaligri.

R

rokapoke

Tomas starts to examine the book, with a particular eye on the magical diagrams and symbols. He is also rather curious about Khaligri's role in the journal and what is said about her.

Oversoul

The Tentacled One
Since it hasn't come up yet, what might Tomas' background be that would give him familiarity with different types of magic? Obviously he has studied magic somewhere and as a dungeon-delving adventurer is a bit of a magical generalist, not likely to be a leading expert on a particular magical topic, but having a broad base of knowledgeon different kinds of magic. Did you have any backstory in mind for this, where he might have studied, what areas of study he has more experience in, etc?

R

rokapoke

Since it hasn't come up yet, what might Tomas' background be that would give him familiarity with different types of magic? Obviously he has studied magic somewhere and as a dungeon-delving adventurer is a bit of a magical generalist, not likely to be a leading expert on a particular magical topic, but having a broad base of knowledgeon different kinds of magic. Did you have any backstory in mind for this, where he might have studied, what areas of study he has more experience in, etc?
Here is where my lack of background in Warhammer lore (and RPGs in general) leaves me without a satisfactory answer. I really don't even know what branches of magic exist, let alone which ones would make for a reasonable combination (for instance, as someone who holds degrees in engineering I'm unlikely to have studied the fine arts in any great depth -- which I haven't).

Do you have any particular recommendations or perhaps a website I could look at for a quick overview of the varieties of magic so that I can work something up?

Oversoul

The Tentacled One
http://whfb.lexicanum.com/wiki/Colleges_of_Magic

No worries if you're not sure. Just wanted to give a chance to make sure things are consistent. Like, if you wanted your character to be someone who was used by the Colleges of Magic as a field researcher studying Orcish magic, and you come across materials used in Orcish magic rituals, you'd probably know more about it than the average wizard. If you once studied at the College of Amethyst, you might have a better understanding of necromantic materials you come across. This doesn't affect what spells you learn and might end up being more roleplaying flavor than anything substantial. I didn't have anything concrete in mind, but I'll try to have this background stuff maintain some semblance of balance (so if you only tell me that your wizard spent his early years researching haunted musical instruments, I'd assume that he'd be better than average at anything dealing with enchantments on musical instruments, haunting, and especially haunted musical instruments if they ever come up, whereas if you try to be a smart aleck and say your wizard is a super genius who knows everything about everything, that won't really wind up meaning much of anything).