D&D: Horror on the Hill: Beginnings

T

train

"We've been on for two nights now... (right?) and we only have about 3 more days before we must head back to the pick-up point... Let's move as soon as we can gents..."

T

train

"SW it is... c'mon gents!..."

(urges the group to move on, and heads out...)

Spiderman

Administrator
Staff member
Si'Nat, being the decision-maker he is, boldly strides to the SW trail with the rest of the party running a bit to catch up until they settle into the marching order.

About 3 turns later, the trail splits, continuing SW or again going NW (remember, this is all essentially "backtracking" so it should be on the map).

Mooseman

Isengar Tussle
Ok, now that I've got some light to see by.... IF we take the NW trail it may lead to the hill we wanted to explore.....

T

train

(So we go NW this time...)

Take a quick breather, and we then head this way guys...

Spiderman

Administrator
Staff member
You don't need to take a breather yet, it hasn't been 6 turns yet :)

But after two turns going NW, you DO stop for one.

Another two turns brings you to a trail going SW-NE (the purple circle is where you are)

Attachments

T

train

"W has been good to us so far... so SW it is... keep your eyes oen guys..."

Spiderman

Administrator
Staff member
You travel for 2 turns, rest for 1, travel for 5 turns and prepare to rest for 1 (all the while heading roughly SW) when Kurik whispers, "Someone/thing is coming up the trail behind us."

Mooseman

Isengar Tussle
Well, let's get off the trail and maybe it will just pass us by... Wilhelm whispers as he starts to move toward cover on the side of the trail..

Spiderman

Administrator
Staff member
The underbrush is too dense to be "quickly" entered. By the time you would manage to penetrate it, the unknowns will be upon you (this is knowledge gleaned from setting up camp in the undergrowth over the past couple of nights).

Spiderman

Administrator
Staff member
Well, there's four people "behind" you (bringing up the rear, where the noises are coming), so Cugel and Si'Nat move back and takes the place of Patrick and Wilhelm in the second rank. Bertrem moves up to stand next to Kurik in the front rank.

Six large goblinoid forms come down the trail. Si'Nat immediately recognizes them as hobgoblins. They stop short upon seeing you, about 50' away, clearly surprised at your presence.

TomB

Administrator
Staff member
Rondo shouts "Want some mead?" in Hobgoblin (he speaks it, doesn't he?) then follows with the rest in firing arrows at the HG's...:)

Spiderman

Administrator
Staff member
Actually, no, Rondo (as a dwarf) doesn't speak Hobgoblin. Just Common, Dwarven, Gnome, Kobold, and Goblin. He can't get a clear shot either as he's behind everyone else, having been the leader down the path the other way.

Round 1 - Hobgoblins are surprised, Party gets initiative.

Kurik, Bertrem, Cugel, and Si'Nat let fly with their assorted missile weapons. Amazingly, their volley either flies wide or fails to penetrate the hobgoblins armor.

Patrick murmurs the words to the Sleep spell and has more success - four of the hobgoblins collapse in slumber.

Round 2 - Hobgoblins have initiative.

Stunned by the loss of more than half their party, the remaining two hobgoblins turn and flee back up the path.

Mooseman

Isengar Tussle
My My, that is a handy incantation for traveling with these adventurers, Patrick can you show me what you did? I fear I am not much help. Do you pray to a certain god?