Commander 2016: Spidey (Entropic Rising) vs Mooseman (Breed Lethality)

Spiderman

Administrator
Staff member
Oh wow, unexpected use of the Cauldron and a break for me! In response to its activation, I'll cast Curtains' Call on your Crawler and Menace and triggering my Aberration.
Responses? Resolve Aberration? Resolve Curtains' Call?

Spidey: 63
Dmg from Commander: 8/21
Hand: 5
Library: 64
Commander Zone (cast twice): UBRG
Battlefield:

(T) Swamp
(T) Island
(T) Mt
(T) Forest
(U) Savage Lands (~ ETB tapped.; T: Add B, R, or G to my mana pool)
(U) Thornwood Falls (~ ETB tapped.; When ~ ETB, I gain 1 life.; T: Add G or U to my mana pool)
(U) Frontier Bivouac (~ ETB tapped.; T: Add G, U, or R to my mana pool)
(U) Exotic Orchard (T: Add one mana of any color that a lands Mooseman controls can produce)
(T) Shadowblood Ridge (1, T: Add BR to my mana pool)

Burgeoning (Whenever Mooseman plays a land, I may put a land card from my hand onto the battlefield)

(U) Chromatic Lantern (Lands I control have "T: Add one mana of any color to my mana pool".; T: Add one mana of any color to my mana pool)
(U) Simic Signet (1, T: Add GU to my mana pool)
(U) Whispersilk Cloak (Equipped creature can't be blocked and has shroud.; Equip 2)

(U) Sangromancer (8/8 from ctrs; Flying; Whenever a creature Mooseman controls dies, I may gain 3 life.; Whenever Mooseman discards a card, I may gain 3 life) *5 +1/+1 ctrs*
(U) Yidris, Maelstrom Wielder (Legendary Creature-Ogre Wizard; 5/4; ~ can't be blocked and has shroud from Cloak; Whenever ~ deals combat dmg to a player, as I cast spells from my hand this turn, they gain cascade (When I cast the spell, exile cards from the top of my library until I exile a nonland card that costs less. I may cast it without paying its mana cost. Put the exiled cards on the bottom of my library in a random order) *Equipped w/Cloak*
(U) Consuming Aberration (14/14; ~'s power and toughness are each equal to the # of cards in Mooseman's graveyard.; Whenever I cast a spell, Mooseman reveals cards from the top of his library until he reveals a land card, then puts those cards into his graveyard)

Graveyard: Windfall, Rakdos Charm, Trasios-Triton Hero, Worm Harvest, , Goblin Spymaster, Chaos Warp, Cruel Entertainment, Grave Upheaval, Fellwar Stone, Kydele-Chosen of Kruphix, Island, Commander's Sphere, Glint-Eye Nephilium, Curtains' Call
Exile: Runehorn Hellkite
============================================================================
Mooseman: 31
Dmg from Commander: 5/21
Hand: 7
Library: 63
Commander Zone (cast twice): GWUB

(TTT) Plains
(T) Island
(TTT) Forest
(T) Exotic Orchard ( T: Add to your mana pool one mana of any color that a land an opponent controls could produce.)
(T) Seaside Citadel (ETB tapped. T: Add G, W, or U to your mana pool.)
(T) Underground River (T: Add {C} to your mana pool. T: Add {U} or {B} to your mana pool. ~ deals 1 damage to you.)
(T) Temple of the False God (, L, T: Add {C}{C} to your mana pool. Activate this ability only if you control five or more lands)
(U) Darksteel Ingot (, A, Indestructible. {T}: Add one mana of any color to your mana pool.)
(T) Fellwar Stone (, A, T: Add to your mana pool one mana of any color that a land an opponent controls could produce.)

Citadel Siege (, E, As Citadel Siege enters the battlefield, • Dragons — At the beginning of combat on each opponent's turn, tap target creature that player controls.)
Hardened Scales (, E, If one or more +1/+1 counters would be placed on a creature you control, that many plus one +1/+1 counters are placed on it instead.)
(U) Cauldron of Souls (, A, T: Choose any number of target creatures. Each of those creatures gains persist until end of turn. (When it's put into a graveyard from play, if it had no -1/-1 counters on it, return it to play under its owner's control with a -1/-1 counter on it.))

(U) Atraxa, Praetor's Voice (Legendary Creature-Angel Horror; 4/4; Flying, vigilance, deathtouch, lifelink; At the beginning of my end step, proliferate)
(S) Crystalline Crawler (AC Construct , 9/9, Converge — Crystalline Crawler enters the battlefield with a +1/+1 counter on it for each color of mana spent to cast it.
Remove a +1/+1 counter from Crystalline Crawler: Add one mana of any color to your mana pool.{T}: Put a +1/+1 counter on Crystalline Crawler.)~8 +1/+1 ~ **DEAD?**
(S) Corpsejack Menace (Fungus, 4/4, If one or more +1/+1 counters would be placed on a creature you control, twice that many +1/+1 counters are placed on it instead.) **DEAD??**

Graveyard: Evolving Wilds, Forgotten Ancient, Manifold Insights, Duelist's Heritage, Terramorphic Expanse, Orzhov Signet, Deepglow Skate, Kalonian Hydra, Ghave-Guru of Spores, Doubt Full, No Response, Murmuring Bosk, Dune Blast, Mirror Weave
Exile:

Mooseman

Isengar Tussle
Ugh, no response
Corpsejack come back with -1/-1 counter
into my grave yard goes
Astral Cornucopia
Ishai, Ojutai Dragonspeaker

Spiderman

Administrator
Staff member
I assume the third card after Ishai was a land? What was it?

How did Corpsejack come back? Curtains' Call should resolve before your Cauldron gives it persist.

Spiderman

Administrator
Staff member
Sangromancer triggers from the deaths of your creatures.

Okay, so here how the board stands after all of that and still at the Declare Attack phase/step/whatever it's called. Does that change the target for your Siege or keep it to the Sangromancer?

Spidey: 69
Battlefield:

(T) Swamp
(T) Island
(T) Mt
(T) Forest
(U) Thornwood Falls (~ ETB tapped.; When ~ ETB, I gain 1 life.; T: Add G or U to my mana pool)
(U) Exotic Orchard (T: Add one mana of any color that a lands Mooseman controls can produce)

Burgeoning (Whenever Mooseman plays a land, I may put a land card from my hand onto the battlefield)

(U) Chromatic Lantern (Lands I control have "T: Add one mana of any color to my mana pool".; T: Add one mana of any color to my mana pool)
(U) Whispersilk Cloak (Equipped creature can't be blocked and has shroud.; Equip 2)

(U) Sangromancer (8/8 from ctrs; Flying; Whenever a creature Mooseman controls dies, I may gain 3 life.; Whenever Mooseman discards a card, I may gain 3 life) *5 +1/+1 ctrs*
(U) Yidris, Maelstrom Wielder (Legendary Creature-Ogre Wizard; 5/4; ~ can't be blocked and has shroud from Cloak; Whenever ~ deals combat dmg to a player, as I cast spells from my hand this turn, they gain cascade (When I cast the spell, exile cards from the top of my library until I exile a nonland card that costs less. I may cast it without paying its mana cost. Put the exiled cards on the bottom of my library in a random order) *Equipped w/Cloak*
(U) Consuming Aberration (19/19; ~'s power and toughness are each equal to the # of cards in Mooseman's graveyard.; Whenever I cast a spell, Mooseman reveals cards from the top of his library until he reveals a land card, then puts those cards into his graveyard)

Graveyard: Windfall, Rakdos Charm, Trasios-Triton Hero, Worm Harvest, , Goblin Spymaster, Chaos Warp, Cruel Entertainment, Grave Upheaval, Fellwar Stone, Kydele-Chosen of Kruphix, Island, Commander's Sphere, Glint-Eye Nephilium, Curtains' Call
Library: 60

(TTT) Plains
(T) Island
(TTT) Forest
(T) Exotic Orchard ( T: Add to your mana pool one mana of any color that a land an opponent controls could produce.)
(T) Underground River (T: Add {C} to your mana pool. T: Add {U} or {B} to your mana pool. ~ deals 1 damage to you.)
(T) Temple of the False God (, L, T: Add {C}{C} to your mana pool. Activate this ability only if you control five or more lands)
(U) Darksteel Ingot (, A, Indestructible. {T}: Add one mana of any color to your mana pool.)
(T) Fellwar Stone (, A, T: Add to your mana pool one mana of any color that a land an opponent controls could produce.)

Citadel Siege (, E, As Citadel Siege enters the battlefield, • Dragons — At the beginning of combat on each opponent's turn, tap target creature that player controls.)
Hardened Scales (, E, If one or more +1/+1 counters would be placed on a creature you control, that many plus one +1/+1 counters are placed on it instead.)

(T) Cauldron of Souls (, A, T: Choose any number of target creatures. Each of those creatures gains persist until end of turn. (When it's put into a graveyard from play, if it had no -1/-1 counters on it, return it to play under its owner's control with a -1/-1 counter on it.))

(U) Atraxa, Praetor's Voice (Legendary Creature-Angel Horror; 4/4; Flying, vigilance, deathtouch, lifelink; At the beginning of my end step, proliferate) **Currently has persist from Cauldron**

Graveyard: Evolving Wilds, Forgotten Ancient, Manifold Insights, Duelist's Heritage, Terramorphic Expanse, Orzhov Signet, Deepglow Skate, Kalonian Hydra, Ghave-Guru of Spores, Doubt Full, No Response, Murmuring Bosk, Dune Blast, Mirror Weave, Astral Cornucopia, Ishai, Ojutai Dragonspeaker, Swamp, Crystalline Crawler, Corpsejack Menace
Exile:

Spiderman

Administrator
Staff member
Attack with Yidris
Responses/blocks/damage?

Spidey: 69
Battlefield:

(T) Swamp
(T) Island
(T) Mt
(T) Forest

(T) Sangromancer (8/8 from ctrs; Flying; Whenever a creature Mooseman controls dies, I may gain 3 life.; Whenever Mooseman discards a card, I may gain 3 life) *5 +1/+1 ctrs*
(T,A) Yidris, Maelstrom Wielder (Legendary Creature-Ogre Wizard; 5/4; ~ can't be blocked and has shroud from Cloak; Whenever ~ deals combat dmg to a player, as I cast spells from my hand this turn, they gain cascade (When I cast the spell, exile cards from the top of my library until I exile a nonland card that costs less. I may cast it without paying its mana cost. Put the exiled cards on the bottom of my library in a random order) *Equipped w/Cloak*
(U) Consuming Aberration (19/19; ~'s power and toughness are each equal to the # of cards in Mooseman's graveyard.; Whenever I cast a spell, Mooseman reveals cards from the top of his library until he reveals a land card, then puts those cards into his graveyard)

Library: 60

(TTT) Plains
(T) Island
(TTT) Forest

(T) Cauldron of Souls (, A, T: Choose any number of target creatures. Each of those creatures gains persist until end of turn. (When it's put into a graveyard from play, if it had no -1/-1 counters on it, return it to play under its owner's control with a -1/-1 counter on it.))

(U) Atraxa, Praetor's Voice (Legendary Creature-Angel Horror; 4/4; Flying, vigilance, deathtouch, lifelink; At the beginning of my end step, proliferate) **Currently has persist from Cauldron**

Graveyard: Evolving Wilds, Forgotten Ancient, Manifold Insights, Duelist's Heritage, Terramorphic Expanse, Orzhov Signet, Deepglow Skate, Kalonian Hydra, Ghave-Guru of Spores, Doubt Full, No Response, Murmuring Bosk, Dune Blast, Mirror Weave, Astral Cornucopia, Ishai, Ojutai Dragonspeaker, Swamp, Crystalline Crawler, Corpsejack Menace
Exile:

Spiderman

Administrator
Staff member
That's 5

I'm going to assume you don't have any responses since I think you just have the Ingot untapped which only gives a colorless so... if you do, we'll back up :)

Nath of the Gilt-Leaf, triggering Yidris for cascade and Aberration for you to reveal cards. I'll choose to stack Aberration and Yidris so Yidris resolves first. I exile Reforge the Soul and cast it from exile. Your discarding of your hand of 7 seven cards triggers Sangromancer so I gain 21 life.

Aberration can resolve to you can reveal cards until you get a land card, but since that doesn't affect my turn, I'll finish by playing a Mt and be done.

Spidey: 90
Hand: 6
Library: 57
Battlefield:

(T) Swamp
(T) Island
(T,U) Mt x2
(T) Forest
(T) Savage Lands (~ ETB tapped.; T: Add B, R, or G to my mana pool)
(T) Thornwood Falls (~ ETB tapped.; When ~ ETB, I gain 1 life.; T: Add G or U to my mana pool)
(T) Frontier Bivouac (~ ETB tapped.; T: Add G, U, or R to my mana pool)
(T) Exotic Orchard (T: Add one mana of any color that a lands Mooseman controls can produce)

(T) Simic Signet (1, T: Add GU to my mana pool)

(T) Sangromancer (8/8 from ctrs; Flying; Whenever a creature Mooseman controls dies, I may gain 3 life.; Whenever Mooseman discards a card, I may gain 3 life) *5 +1/+1 ctrs*
(T) Yidris, Maelstrom Wielder (Legendary Creature-Ogre Wizard; 5/4; ~ can't be blocked and has shroud from Cloak; Whenever ~ deals combat dmg to a player, as I cast spells from my hand this turn, they gain cascade (When I cast the spell, exile cards from the top of my library until I exile a nonland card that costs less. I may cast it without paying its mana cost. Put the exiled cards on the bottom of my library in a random order) *Equipped w/Cloak*
(U) Consuming Aberration (26/26; ~'s power and toughness are each equal to the # of cards in Mooseman's graveyard.; Whenever I cast a spell, Mooseman reveals cards from the top of his library until he reveals a land card, then puts those cards into his graveyard)
(S) Nath of the Gilt-Leaf (4/4; At the beginning of my upkeep, I may have Mooseman discard a card at random.; Whenever Mooseman discards a card, I may create a 1/1 green Elf Warrior creature token)

Graveyard: Windfall, Rakdos Charm, Trasios-Triton Hero, Worm Harvest, , Goblin Spymaster, Chaos Warp, Cruel Entertainment, Grave Upheaval, Fellwar Stone, Kydele-Chosen of Kruphix, Island, Commander's Sphere, Glint-Eye Nephilium, Curtains' Call, Reforge the Soul, Treacherous Terrain, Evolving Wilds, Whims of Fate, Reliquary Tower
Mooseman: 26
Dmg from Commander: 10/21
Hand: 7 new cards
Library: 60 - 53 - minus more for reveal from Aberration's ability

(TTT) Plains
(T) Island
(TTT) Forest

(U) Atraxa, Praetor's Voice (Legendary Creature-Angel Horror; 4/4; Flying, vigilance, deathtouch, lifelink; At the beginning of my end step, proliferate)

Graveyard: Evolving Wilds, Forgotten Ancient, Manifold Insights, Duelist's Heritage, Terramorphic Expanse, Orzhov Signet, Deepglow Skate, Kalonian Hydra, Ghave-Guru of Spores, Doubt Full, No Response, Murmuring Bosk, Dune Blast, Mirror Weave, Astral Cornucopia, Ishai, Ojutai Dragonspeaker, Swamp, Crystalline Crawler, Corpsejack Menace, seven cards from hand
Exile:

Mooseman

Isengar Tussle
Since I have nothing in my hand to stop your Yidris and Aberration, I will always be drawing a land card.
This game is over.
I couldn't get anything going and you got the mojo with Yadris and cloak.
Good game

Spiderman

Administrator
Staff member
Really? Wow, good game then! This is probably one of the longest games we've played. I thought you had me at some point in the middle but forgot where I got a "fresh start".

I don't understand why you'd always be drawing a land though. Once you reveal the land, doesn't all of the cards revealed up to that point *and* the land card go into your graveyard? So you'll have a new card on the next draw? If I'm correct and that's not how you resolved Aberration's ability the first time (where I asked what the land card was), we can rewind if you want.

And none of your new seven cards can deal with Yidris, Cloak, or Aberration? Yikes.... :eek: (but good for me :D )

Oversoul

The Tentacled One
I don't understand why you'd always be drawing a land though. Once you reveal the land, doesn't all of the cards revealed up to that point *and* the land card go into your graveyard? So you'll have a new card on the next draw?
Yeah, Consuming Aberration would be much nastier if it always left a land on top.

Mooseman

Isengar Tussle
That changes everything

Rewind... Now the swamp is in my grave yard
Reveal cards from my library
Sublime Exhalation
Solidarity of Heroes
Command Tower
Sandsteppe Citadel
Swamp
I only had 4 cards in hand. I think......
Golgari Rot Farm
Darkwater Catacombs
Migratory Route
Vulturous Zombie
Draw 7 cards
UUD

Spitting Image Targeting the Consuming Aberration
Putrefy your Consuming Aberration
Grip of Phyresis your cloak
Germ dies
equip it to my Aberration
Done
Hand: 6
Battlefield:

(T) Swamp
(T) Island
(T,U) Mt x2
(T) Forest
(T) Thornwood Falls (~ ETB tapped.; When ~ ETB, I gain 1 life.; T: Add G or U to my mana pool)
(T) Exotic Orchard (T: Add one mana of any color that a lands Mooseman controls can produce)

(T) Yidris, Maelstrom Wielder (Legendary Creature-Ogre Wizard; 5/4; ~ can't be blocked and has shroud from Cloak; Whenever ~ deals combat dmg to a player, as I cast spells from my hand this turn, they gain cascade (When I cast the spell, exile cards from the top of my library until I exile a nonland card that costs less. I may cast it without paying its mana cost. Put the exiled cards on the bottom of my library in a random order)
(S) Nath of the Gilt-Leaf (4/4; At the beginning of my upkeep, I may have Mooseman discard a card at random.; Whenever Mooseman discards a card, I may create a 1/1 green Elf Warrior creature token)

Graveyard: Windfall, Rakdos Charm, Trasios-Triton Hero, Worm Harvest, , Goblin Spymaster, Chaos Warp, Cruel Entertainment, Grave Upheaval, Fellwar Stone, Kydele-Chosen of Kruphix, Island, Commander's Sphere, Glint-Eye Nephilium, Curtains' Call, Reforge the Soul, Treacherous Terrain, Evolving Wilds, Whims of Fate, Reliquary Tower, Consuming Aberration
Library: 47

(TTT) Plains
(T) Island
(TTT) Forest

Whispersilk Cloak (Equipped creature can't be blocked and has shroud.; Equip 2)
(U) Cauldron of Souls (, A, T: Choose any number of target creatures. Each of those creatures gains persist until end of turn. (When it's put into a graveyard from play, if it had no -1/-1 counters on it, return it to play under its owner's control with a -1/-1 counter on it.))

(S) Consuming Aberration (19/19 ~'s power and toughness are each equal to the # of cards in Mooseman's graveyard.; Whenever I cast a spell, Mooseman reveals cards from the top of his library until he reveals a land card, then puts those cards into his graveyard)~Cloaked~

Graveyard: Evolving Wilds, Forgotten Ancient, Manifold Insights, Duelist's Heritage, Terramorphic Expanse, Orzhov Signet, Deepglow Skate, Kalonian Hydra, Ghave-Guru of Spores, Doubt Full, No Response, Murmuring Bosk, Dune Blast, Mirror Weave, Astral Cornucopia, Ishai, Ojutai Dragonspeaker, Swamp, Crystalline Crawler, Corpsejack Menace, Sublime Exhalation, Solidarity of Heroes, Command Tower, Sandsteppe Citadel, Swamp, Golgari Rot Farm, Darkwater Catacombs, Migratory Route, Vulturous Zombie, Spitting Image, Putrefy , Grip of Phyresis
Exile:

Spiderman

Administrator
Staff member
And the game goes on!

So hold up... you went a little fast there :) So when you said

Rewind... Now the swamp is in my grave yard
That was from resolving the Aberration when I cast Curtain's Call During Attack step, right? So when you said

Reveal cards from my library
Sublime Exhalation
Solidarity of Heroes
Command Tower
Sandsteppe Citadel
Swamp
This is from resolving the Aberration from casting Nath, correct? If so, once you revealed Command Tower, wouldn't that stop the revealing/exiling because it's any land card, not a basic land card? So Sandsteppe Citadel and Swamp would be part of your draw from resolving Reforge the Soul and you wouldn't draw the last two cards (which I'm hoping is Spitting Image, Putrefy, or Grip of Phyresis :D )?

Mooseman

Isengar Tussle
So I am a bit confused on the , Spitting Image and Putrefy are on the top of my library.
I'll still do the Grip and play a swamp.
And play Custodi Soulbinders (Human Cleric, */*, Custodi Soulbinders enters the battlefield with X +1/+1 counters on it, where X is the number of other creatures on the battlefield.
{2}{W}, Remove a +1/+1 counter from Custodi Soulbinders: Create a 1/1 white Spirit creature token with flying.)
Equip the cloak on that.

Now what else did I screw up?

Spiderman

Administrator
Staff member
Well, two out of three ain't bad :) I think you're good at that point and I think the board looks like this (I'll put a Swamp into play from my Burgeoning when you played your Swamp and I guessed at mana used):

Battlefield:

(T,U) Swamp x2
(T) Island
(T,U) Mt x2
(T) Forest

(T) Yidris, Maelstrom Wielder (Legendary Creature-Ogre Wizard; 5/4; Whenever ~ deals combat dmg to a player, as I cast spells from my hand this turn, they gain cascade (When I cast the spell, exile cards from the top of my library until I exile a nonland card that costs less. I may cast it without paying its mana cost. Put the exiled cards on the bottom of my library in a random order)
(U) Consuming Aberration (30/30; ~'s power and toughness are each equal to the # of cards in Mooseman's graveyard.; Whenever I cast a spell, Mooseman reveals cards from the top of his library until he reveals a land card, then puts those cards into his graveyard)

Graveyard: Windfall, Rakdos Charm, Trasios-Triton Hero, Worm Harvest, , Goblin Spymaster, Chaos Warp, Cruel Entertainment, Grave Upheaval, Fellwar Stone, Kydele-Chosen of Kruphix, Island, Commander's Sphere, Glint-Eye Nephilium, Curtains' Call, Reforge the Soul, Treacherous Terrain, Evolving Wilds, Whims of Fate, Reliquary Tower
Hand: 4
Library: 47

(TTT) Plains
(T) Island
(UUU) Forest
(U) Swamp
(U) Exotic Orchard ( T: Add to your mana pool one mana of any color that a land an opponent controls could produce.)
(U) Seaside Citadel (ETB tapped. T: Add G, W, or U to your mana pool.)
(T) Darksteel Ingot (, A, Indestructible. {T}: Add one mana of any color to your mana pool.)

(S) Custodi Soulbinders (Human Cleric, 5/5 from ctrs; ~ cannot be blocked and has shroud from Cloak; , Custodi Soulbinders enters the battlefield with X +1/+1 counters on it, where X is the number of other creatures on the battlefield.; {2}{W}, Remove a +1/+1 counter from Custodi Soulbinders: Create a 1/1 white Spirit creature token with flying.) * 5 +1/+1 ctrs* *Equipped w/Cloak*

Graveyard: Evolving Wilds, Forgotten Ancient, Manifold Insights, Duelist's Heritage, Terramorphic Expanse, Orzhov Signet, Deepglow Skate, Kalonian Hydra, Ghave-Guru of Spores, Doubt Full, No Response, Murmuring Bosk, Dune Blast, Mirror Weave, Astral Cornucopia, Ishai-Ojutai Dragonspeaker, Swamp, Crystalline Crawler, Corpsejack Menace, Sublime Exhalation, Solidarity of Heroes, Command Tower, Golgari Rot Farm, Darkwater Catacombs, Migratory Route, Vulturous Zombie, Grip of Phyresis, Languish, Tezzeret's Gambit, Terramorphic Expanse
Exile:

Mooseman

Isengar Tussle
Missing Languish, Tezzeret's Gambit and Terramorphic Expanse from my grave yard. So I have 47 in my library. I have 4 cards in hand.
Now who's turn is it?

Spiderman

Administrator
Staff member
Updated the board with that info. It's still your turn and I believe still your first Main Phase, you just equipped your copy of the Cloak to your Soulbinders.