Commander 2016: Spidey (Entropic Rising) vs Mooseman (Breed Lethality)

Spiderman

Administrator
Staff member
I sure hope that means you drew mostly lands :)

Equip the Cloak to Yidris
Declare attack
Responses?

Spiderman

Administrator
Staff member
All righty, attack with Yidris.
Responses/blocks/take it?

Spidey: 63
Dmg from Commander: 8/21
Hand: 7
Library: 66
Commander Zone (cast twice): UBRG
Battlefield:

(T) Swamp
(T) Island
(T) Mt
(U) Forest
(U) Savage Lands (~ ETB tapped.; T: Add B, R, or G to my mana pool)
(U) Thornwood Falls (~ ETB tapped.; When ~ ETB, I gain 1 life.; T: Add G or U to my mana pool)
(U) Frontier Bivouac (~ ETB tapped.; T: Add G, U, or R to my mana pool)
(U) Exotic Orchard (T: Add one mana of any color that a lands Mooseman controls can produce)

Burgeoning (Whenever Mooseman plays a land, I may put a land card from my hand onto the battlefield)

(U) Chromatic Lantern (Lands I control have "T: Add one mana of any color to my mana pool".; T: Add one mana of any color to my mana pool)
(U) Whispersilk Cloak (Equipped creature can't be blocked and has shroud.; Equip 2)

(T) Sangromancer (8/8 from ctrs; Flying; Whenever a creature Mooseman controls dies, I may gain 3 life.; Whenever Mooseman discards a card, I may gain 3 life) *5 +1/+1 ctrs*
(T,A) Yidris, Maelstrom Wielder (Legendary Creature-Ogre Wizard; 5/4; ~ can't be blocked and has shroud from Cloak; Whenever ~ deals combat dmg to a player, as I cast spells from my hand this turn, they gain cascade (When I cast the spell, exile cards from the top of my library until I exile a nonland card that costs less. I may cast it without paying its mana cost. Put the exiled cards on the bottom of my library in a random order) *Equipped w/Cloak*

Graveyard: Windfall, Rakdos Charm, Trasios-Triton Hero, Worm Harvest, , Goblin Spymaster, Chaos Warp, Cruel Entertainment, Grave Upheaval, Fellwar Stone, Kydele-Chosen of Kruphix, Island, Commander's Sphere, Glint-Eye Nephilium
Exile: Runehorn Hellkite
============================================================================
Mooseman: 36
Dmg from Commander: 0/21
Library: 64
Commander Zone (cast twice): GWUB

(TTT) Plains
(U) Island
(TT) Forest
(U) Exotic Orchard ( T: Add to your mana pool one mana of any color that a land an opponent controls could produce.)
(T) Seaside Citadel (ETB tapped. T: Add G, W, or U to your mana pool.)
(T) Underground River (T: Add {C} to your mana pool. T: Add {U} or {B} to your mana pool. ~ deals 1 damage to you.)
(T) Temple of the False God (, L, T: Add {C}{C} to your mana pool. Activate this ability only if you control five or more lands)
(U) Darksteel Ingot (, A, Indestructible. {T}: Add one mana of any color to your mana pool.)
(T) Fellwar Stone (, A, T: Add to your mana pool one mana of any color that a land an opponent controls could produce.)

Citadel Siege (, E, As Citadel Siege enters the battlefield, • Dragons — At the beginning of combat on each opponent's turn, tap target creature that player controls.)
Hardened Scales (, E, If one or more +1/+1 counters would be placed on a creature you control, that many plus one +1/+1 counters are placed on it instead.)

(U) Atraxa, Praetor's Voice (Legendary Creature-Angel Horror; 4/4; Flying, vigilance, deathtouch, lifelink; At the beginning of my end step, proliferate)

Graveyard: Evolving Wilds, Forgotten Ancient, Manifold Insights, Duelist's Heritage, Terramorphic Expanse, Orzhov Signet, Deepglow Skate, Kalonian Hydra, Ghave-Guru of Spores, Doubt Full, No Response, Murmuring Bosk, Dune Blast, Mirror Weave
Exile:

Spiderman

Administrator
Staff member
I know, but you could always have a response During Blockers step :)

So that's 5

Consuming Aberration, triggering Yidris with giving it cascade so exiling/revealing Simic Signet and thus casting it
Shadowblood Ridge

Done

Hand: 5
Library: 65
Battlefield:

(T) Swamp
(T) Island
(T) Mt
(T) Forest
(T) Savage Lands (~ ETB tapped.; T: Add B, R, or G to my mana pool)
(T) Thornwood Falls (~ ETB tapped.; When ~ ETB, I gain 1 life.; T: Add G or U to my mana pool)
(T) Frontier Bivouac (~ ETB tapped.; T: Add G, U, or R to my mana pool)
(T) Exotic Orchard (T: Add one mana of any color that a lands Mooseman controls can produce)
(U) Shadowblood Ridge (1, T: Add BR to my mana pool)

Burgeoning (Whenever Mooseman plays a land, I may put a land card from my hand onto the battlefield)

(U) Chromatic Lantern (Lands I control have "T: Add one mana of any color to my mana pool".; T: Add one mana of any color to my mana pool)
(U) Simic Signet (1, T: Add GU to my mana pool)
(U) Whispersilk Cloak (Equipped creature can't be blocked and has shroud.; Equip 2)

(T) Sangromancer (8/8 from ctrs; Flying; Whenever a creature Mooseman controls dies, I may gain 3 life.; Whenever Mooseman discards a card, I may gain 3 life) *5 +1/+1 ctrs*
(T) Yidris, Maelstrom Wielder (Legendary Creature-Ogre Wizard; 5/4; ~ can't be blocked and has shroud from Cloak; Whenever ~ deals combat dmg to a player, as I cast spells from my hand this turn, they gain cascade (When I cast the spell, exile cards from the top of my library until I exile a nonland card that costs less. I may cast it without paying its mana cost. Put the exiled cards on the bottom of my library in a random order) *Equipped w/Cloak*
(S) Consuming Aberration (14/14; ~'s power and toughness are each equal to the # of cards in Mooseman's graveyard.; Whenever I cast a spell, Mooseman reveals cards from the top of his library until he reveals a land card, then puts those cards into his graveyard)

Graveyard: Windfall, Rakdos Charm, Trasios-Triton Hero, Worm Harvest, , Goblin Spymaster, Chaos Warp, Cruel Entertainment, Grave Upheaval, Fellwar Stone, Kydele-Chosen of Kruphix, Island, Commander's Sphere, Glint-Eye Nephilium
Mooseman: 31
Dmg from Commander: 5/21

(TTT) Plains
(U) Island
(TT) Forest
(U) Exotic Orchard ( T: Add to your mana pool one mana of any color that a land an opponent controls could produce.)
(T) Underground River (T: Add {C} to your mana pool. T: Add {U} or {B} to your mana pool. ~ deals 1 damage to you.)
(T) Temple of the False God (, L, T: Add {C}{C} to your mana pool. Activate this ability only if you control five or more lands)
(U) Darksteel Ingot (, A, Indestructible. {T}: Add one mana of any color to your mana pool.)
(T) Fellwar Stone (, A, T: Add to your mana pool one mana of any color that a land an opponent controls could produce.)

Citadel Siege (, E, As Citadel Siege enters the battlefield, • Dragons — At the beginning of combat on each opponent's turn, tap target creature that player controls.)
Hardened Scales (, E, If one or more +1/+1 counters would be placed on a creature you control, that many plus one +1/+1 counters are placed on it instead.)

(U) Atraxa, Praetor's Voice (Legendary Creature-Angel Horror; 4/4; Flying, vigilance, deathtouch, lifelink; At the beginning of my end step, proliferate)

Graveyard: Evolving Wilds, Forgotten Ancient, Manifold Insights, Duelist's Heritage, Terramorphic Expanse, Orzhov Signet, Deepglow Skate, Kalonian Hydra, Ghave-Guru of Spores, Doubt Full, No Response, Murmuring Bosk, Dune Blast, Mirror Weave
Exile:

Spiderman

Administrator
Staff member
From Yidris? I read the card as any spells I cast gives that spell cascade so I reveal the cards, not you, right? I meant that the very first card I revealed and exiled was the Signet and since it's casting cost is less than the Aberration, I chose to cast it from exile. If that was the confusing part, I'll edit the action above.

Oversoul

The Tentacled One
Cascade is an on-cast trigger, so Consuming Abberation's ability wouldn't trigger for the Signet because Consuming Abberation is still on the stack when Simic Signet resolves.

Mooseman

Isengar Tussle
Aberration is on the stack, then cascade goes on the stack, cascade resolves and the Aberration resolves.

Mooseman

Isengar Tussle
UUD
Crystalline Crawler GUWB (from Fellwar stone)
Corpsejack Menace
Cauldron of Souls
End step stack Corpsejack to resolve last
Done

Hand: 5
Library: 65
Battlefield:

(T) Swamp
(T) Island
(T) Mt
(T) Forest
(T) Savage Lands (~ ETB tapped.; T: Add B, R, or G to my mana pool)
(T) Thornwood Falls (~ ETB tapped.; When ~ ETB, I gain 1 life.; T: Add G or U to my mana pool)
(T) Frontier Bivouac (~ ETB tapped.; T: Add G, U, or R to my mana pool)
(T) Exotic Orchard (T: Add one mana of any color that a lands Mooseman controls can produce)

(T) Yidris, Maelstrom Wielder (Legendary Creature-Ogre Wizard; 5/4; ~ can't be blocked and has shroud from Cloak; Whenever ~ deals combat dmg to a player, as I cast spells from my hand this turn, they gain cascade (When I cast the spell, exile cards from the top of my library until I exile a nonland card that costs less. I may cast it without paying its mana cost. Put the exiled cards on the bottom of my library in a random order) *Equipped w/Cloak*
(S) Consuming Aberration (14/14; ~'s power and toughness are each equal to the # of cards in Mooseman's graveyard.; Whenever I cast a spell, Mooseman reveals cards from the top of his library until he reveals a land card, then puts those cards into his graveyard)

Library: 63

(TTT) Plains
(T) Island
(TTT) Forest
(T) Exotic Orchard ( T: Add to your mana pool one mana of any color that a land an opponent controls could produce.)

(U) Cauldron of Souls (, A, T: Choose any number of target creatures. Each of those creatures gains persist until end of turn. (When it's put into a graveyard from play, if it had no -1/-1 counters on it, return it to play under its owner's control with a -1/-1 counter on it.))

(S) Crystalline Crawler (AC Construct , 9/9, Converge — Crystalline Crawler enters the battlefield with a +1/+1 counter on it for each color of mana spent to cast it.
Remove a +1/+1 counter from Crystalline Crawler: Add one mana of any color to your mana pool.{T}: Put a +1/+1 counter on Crystalline Crawler.)~8 +1/+1 ~
(S) Corpsejack Menace (Fungus, 4/4, If one or more +1/+1 counters would be placed on a creature you control, twice that many +1/+1 counters are placed on it instead.)

Exile:

Spiderman

Administrator
Staff member
Mooseman said:
End step stack Corpsejack to resolve last
Are you saying that to ensure the Crawler gets 4 +1/+1 ctrs? And that's already indicated above in the 8 ctrs it has?

Oversoul

The Tentacled One
I know this is a bit technical, but just because I want to make sure I get it right when similar situations come up in my games...

That ability on Corpsejack Menace doesn't actually need to be arranged to stack last because it's a replacement effect and not a triggered ability, correct?

Spiderman

Administrator
Staff member
Right, but there are two replacement abilities, that one and Hardened Scales. So I think he's trying to make sure Hardened Scales "replaces" first so two counters would be put on and then Corpsejack would replace that with four counters, as opposed to the other way around where if Corpsejack replaced first, it would be two counters and Hardened Scales would replace that to three.

Oversoul

The Tentacled One
Oh, gotcha. Two replacement effects and he could arrange them in whichever order he wanted, but obviously +1 and then x2 is better than x2 and then +1.

Spiderman

Administrator
Staff member
Upon further reflection, I'm going to assume that's correct so we can move along :) I'm sure Mooseman will post his stated intentions when he gets on tonight.

So.... Untap, upkeep, Draw

Declare attack
Responses?

Hand: 6
Battlefield:

(U) Swamp
(U) Island
(U) Mt
(U) Forest
(U) Savage Lands (~ ETB tapped.; T: Add B, R, or G to my mana pool)
(U) Thornwood Falls (~ ETB tapped.; When ~ ETB, I gain 1 life.; T: Add G or U to my mana pool)
(U) Frontier Bivouac (~ ETB tapped.; T: Add G, U, or R to my mana pool)
(U) Exotic Orchard (T: Add one mana of any color that a lands Mooseman controls can produce)

(U) Sangromancer (8/8 from ctrs; Flying; Whenever a creature Mooseman controls dies, I may gain 3 life.; Whenever Mooseman discards a card, I may gain 3 life) *5 +1/+1 ctrs*
(U) Yidris, Maelstrom Wielder (Legendary Creature-Ogre Wizard; 5/4; ~ can't be blocked and has shroud from Cloak; Whenever ~ deals combat dmg to a player, as I cast spells from my hand this turn, they gain cascade (When I cast the spell, exile cards from the top of my library until I exile a nonland card that costs less. I may cast it without paying its mana cost. Put the exiled cards on the bottom of my library in a random order) *Equipped w/Cloak*
(U) Consuming Aberration (14/14; ~'s power and toughness are each equal to the # of cards in Mooseman's graveyard.; Whenever I cast a spell, Mooseman reveals cards from the top of his library until he reveals a land card, then puts those cards into his graveyard)

Library: 63

(TTT) Plains
(T) Island
(TTT) Forest
(T) Exotic Orchard ( T: Add to your mana pool one mana of any color that a land an opponent controls could produce.)

(U) Cauldron of Souls (, A, T: Choose any number of target creatures. Each of those creatures gains persist until end of turn. (When it's put into a graveyard from play, if it had no -1/-1 counters on it, return it to play under its owner's control with a -1/-1 counter on it.))

(S) Crystalline Crawler (AC Construct , 9/9, Converge — Crystalline Crawler enters the battlefield with a +1/+1 counter on it for each color of mana spent to cast it.
Remove a +1/+1 counter from Crystalline Crawler: Add one mana of any color to your mana pool.{T}: Put a +1/+1 counter on Crystalline Crawler.)~8 +1/+1 ~
(S) Corpsejack Menace (Fungus, 4/4, If one or more +1/+1 counters would be placed on a creature you control, twice that many +1/+1 counters are placed on it instead.)

Exile: