Worlds of Warcraft (not W3!!)

C

Chaos Turtle

Depends on what you mean by "soon."

Sometime in '05, for sure. Hopefully before summer. I'm gonna build my own. Maybe.

(If I can hold out that long without giving in and getting a cheapo from HP or Dell or something.)

R

Reverend Love

Dude, eMachines has really cleaned up their act, and are starting to offer some excellent desktops. They use quality parts from the motherboard up, and are dang cheap. Comparable to building your own box for the money....but no computer can compare to the home built variety.

They use to be the laughing stock of OEMs. But new management and a commitment to quality changed all that.

C

Chaos Turtle

Are these eMachines easily upgradeable? That's my biggest gripe with the store-bought variety.

A

Almindhra

I'm still quite addicted to this game, so if you're ever on my server, look me up!

Server: Elde'Thalas

Sinhara - 60 Mage
Avaricia - 45 Paladin
Diosadevida - 29 Priest
Puffball - Auction House Gnome of Doom
(All Alliance Characters)

N

Neo_Keo

I'm addicted as well ><

Frostwolf Server -

Saverl - 60 Mage

Think I'll roll a Undead Ice Mage on Elde'Thalas hehehe

A

Almindhra

You mage shall never survive against the power of my PoM'ed Pyroblast!!!

Oh boy, I need a life...

N

Neo_Keo

lol Ice Mage ftw. btw...... 112-4 in Alterac Valley =)

Go ice spec

N

Neo_Keo

Omg Doe I have my own vent server ^_^....msg me on aim when you get the change I'll give you the info <3

A

Almindhra

Oh my lord!...I use Teamspeak all the time with my guild, but I'll download Ventrillo right now...Woohoo!

H

HOUTS

WOW=bad!

Honestly, these kind of games are just insanely stupid.
Not only do you deem yourself to be socially inept for life, as well sexually repressed, but you're only setting yourself up for dissapointment.
I'd play this game but I have a social life.
Real life < W.O.W.
Reality calls me.

-HOUTS

B

BigBlue

Now Now.... no need for namecalling....

And, did you really mean "Real Life > WoW" not "Real Life < Wow"... that sort of shoots up your case.

I would definately agree with you that Evercrack type games are bad for their players... I've known more than a few friends who just slip into the ethereal and stop even trying to have a life... I work with someone whose ex brother-in-law would rent a hotel room once a month just to play Evercrack - leaving his wife and 2 kids at home (so he could be uninterupted while playing)... And she would check in on him sometimes - and seriously, he wasn't cheating on her - just playing Evercrack...

I have a very addictive personality, and I know I'd probably get sucked into that crap, but I refuse to, and agree with you that it does nothing for your life... you finally get tired of the game, and it's years later... you look like hell, have no real friends, just aim buddies... Eventually, they will make a game where you don't even need AIM buddies, just a machine emulating an AIM buddy - and most players won't even know the difference...

Spiderman

Administrator
Staff member
<shrug> I think it's all "real life" and how one chooses to spend it... I mean, is going to concerts any better? Playing fantasy football? Playing poker? Playing Magic? It's how one chooses to spend his free (and maybe not so free) time...

B

BigBlue

I've seen how engrossed people get with WoW & Everquest. It takes over their lives in ways completely different to going to concerts/clubs/playing magic/playing poker/etc ever does... that's why I dislike them... friends stop visiting other friends because they are too busy with their online gaming... I think that's a bit much... and I've seen and heard about it all too often.

Z

Zigathon

I've really never understood the concept of games like that. Run around, find some NPC, get a quest, run around, fight, accomplish the quest, level up, repeat.
I played Final Fantasy XI and got bored before even reaching level 13. Although, I do play now and again when I'm bored. Mostly because I'm lucky enough to play it for free. A good friend of mine installed it on my computer and his mother pays for his account.
I do like RPGs, because they tell a story and the combat systems can get quite tactical. D&D is another good pastime, you are spending time with friends/family and playing a game.
But a game with a monthly fee that has no purpose other than to waste time and money; not to mention isolates you from loved ones? Count me out!

Spiderman

Administrator
Staff member
For the ones who strictly play like that, I would guess the challenge is to be the first? or few among the most powerful as they level up. But I would say the majority like to play it also as a "social experience" - basically D&D/RPG-ing with other "live" players rather than the computer providing the allies and AI.