Worlds of Warcraft (not W3!!)

A

Almindhra

First, I would like to say Blizzard is the bomb-diggity, and hats off to them...

Next, this game, Worlds of Warcraft is not Warcraft 3!! so please read on......

Its based on that world, but its set up like an up close Diablo...Like Everquest I'm guessing...But its seamless and looks great!!...You have to download the gameplay trailor, and look at some of the screen shots...

Only catch: There will be a small monthly fee (dammit)...

http://www.blizzard.com/wow/

Spiderman

Administrator
Staff member
I think it's one of those Massively Multiplayer Online Games, like Everquest or Asheron's Call or whatever. The computer gaming magazine this month had it as their top story.

Spiderman

Administrator
Staff member
From today's Gamespy newsletter:
WoW Beta Sign-Up Soon - Prophet
Blizzard Entertainment announced that sign-ups for the much anticipated World of WarCraft beta test will launch tomorrow (Wednesday, January 28th), at 6:00 pm PST. A link to the beta-test application will be provided on the site at that time, with the sign-up period will ending on Wednesday, February 4th at 6:00 pm PST. Multiple submissions are not allowed (one per player - multiple submissions will automatically be disqualified from participating) and beta testers will not be chosen based on "when" they signed up, so you don't need to be first in order to qualify.

Spiderman

Administrator
Staff member
From Blizzard News

World of Warcraft Beta Test Signups are Closed
We thank everyone for participating in our World of Warcraft beta test signups. We’re now reviewing the applications and will notify selected testers by email before the start of each beta phase. If you are not selected you will not receive an email.

Please note that we can neither accept any additional applications nor make any changes to the information on anyone’s current application. Also note that we are unable to comment on the status of any application prior to the email announcements going out, so please refrain from contacting us regarding your application.

We’re looking forward to an extremely productive beta test; please visit our Web site regularly for extensive coverage after the beta test goes live!

N

Notepad

Blizzard makes some awesome games, but their track record with B.Net has been horribly dismal. They can't stop hacks if it was to save their games. Starcraft, Warcraft 2, Warcraft 3, Diablo and Diablo 2 are all hack and cheat infested. They have had tons of chances to solve things and all they do are delayed bug fixes in patches and promises to "Take a firm stance against hacking."

But all they do is stand there doing practically nothing. I would play World of Warcraft if it was free. But with a payment, I wouldn't trust Blizzard and their BNet crew to keep things worth the monthly payment. I'll stick with free play on D2 and WC2.

N

NorrYtt

WarCraft III is fairly free of maphacks now as far as I can tell, but I'm not hardcore so it doesn't affect me.

World of WarCraft, though is very inticing to me but I'm scared of the same hacks that run rampant through Diablo II. An online world will fail IMO if the economy breaks integrity.

Diablo II was 'fixed' with a recent patch that presumably ate many hacked items. Also a new, "honest", fun mode was introduced with restarting ladder games every so often to wipe a "clean slate" for dedicated players. I say too little WAY too late.

What kind of trust could you put in the United States government and the economy in general if everyone simply printed their own money in mass quantities? Who would actually "work" for a living?

I for one hope I get to WoW Beta and I'll be gaming online as long as its economy holds. Undead Warlocks rule!

N

Notepad

D2 was not fixed by the new patch. They made the game insanely harder, so that you practically need hacks to get through the hell setting.

The supposed Rust Storm was a joke. There are still duped items all over the place, and tons of Eth items everywhere. As for the ladder being safe...wel, there was already a new rune duper out sometime in January. They just can't prove their integrity with "hack-free realms" claims.

I have no experience with W3, other than seeing folks whine about maphack all the time on forums. Still, pretty bad they knew about maphack from W2, and couldn't fix the problem with the server-client data relationship for W3.

With this kind of security, users might be better off paying 10 bucks a month to download some Doom Juice. ;)

Spiderman

Administrator
Staff member
From yesterday's Gamespy newsletter:
World of Warcraft Euro Beta Date - Rhoam
Blizzard Entertainment today announced that July 5th will be the date for European closed beta test sign-up of its eagerly awaited MMORPG, World of Warcraft. Testers will be able to register online through the official European Blizzard Web sites for the English, French, and German speaking markets.
Full Story

M

mythosx

I heard it was a new crew over ate blizzard so perhaps the security issue has been resolved.

A

Aku Necromancer

Hopefully I can have access to my own computer when this piece of art comes out...

Blizzard has never upset me with any of their games. never.

S

Svenmonkey

I don't think cheating will be an issue at all. It's massively multiplayer so, traditionally, almost all of your player data is stored on their servers and is therefore extremely hard to tamper with. Plus they know their track record with cheats is bad so they're going to keep this as secure as possible. Plus if a hack or anything gets out they will address it immediately because their source of income (monthly paying players) is on the line. Not dealing well with hacking and cheating would destroy their game and their paychecks would be on the line, so I think it'll be secure.

T

train

It's all about the online gaming...

It doesn't replace friends coming over to play games... but it sure makes finding people wanting to play at the time a lot easier...

D

Doombringer

some people at my school are already playing it, I think they're testing the beta version or something, they love it more than anything else.

N

Nightstalkers

I heard about this and a few friends told me it was okay...

To me, just another online grabber game like the evil Everquest or just about any other one out today.

N

NorrYtt

I'm currently a Level 18 Undead Priest with Tailoring/Enchanting on the Warsong server.

The game is crazy addictive. I must have played 16 hours of it each day this Thanksgiving break. I would get angry at traffic lights on the way back from the store because they were keeping me from playing my new game!

I love my Priest!

I played the Beta up until I realized there's going to be a full wipe. I had chosen my class and professions by that point anyway, and along with bug reports, the Beta served it's purpose.

C

Chaos Turtle

Gods I can't wait to get a computer and high-speed connecton.

I want to play this game so BAD!