Daily Brainteaser

turgy22

Nothing Special
The letters C-L-U-E have been removed from the words below, with any resulting spaces closed up. The letters C-L-U-E always appear in order, though never all consecutively. What are the words?

1. AGRIUTR
2. EXDD
3. SUBAS
4. MISACLAT
5. ODINSS
6. RESIV
7. ENOSR
8. OLEAG

July 21st Answer:

R

rokapoke

July 22

The letters C-L-U-E have been removed from the words below, with any resulting spaces closed up. The letters C-L-U-E always appear in order, though never all consecutively. What are the words?

1. AGRIUTR
2. EXDD
3. SUBAS
4. MISACLAT
5. ODINSS
6. RESIV
7. ENOSR
8. OLEAG

Answer:
1. agriCuLtUrE
2. exCLUdEd
3. subCLaUsE
4. misCaLcUlatE
5. CLoUdinEss
6. reCLUsivE
7. enCLosUrE
8. ColLeagUE

turgy22

Nothing Special
In each row, change the first letter of the two words to a different letter (the same for both) to form two new words. Write the new letter in the blank. These letters will form a word reading down.

GAIT ___ CHIP
FLOE ___ GRID
MICE ___ LAST
OMIT ___ ALMS

July 22nd Answers:

1. agriculture
2. excluded
3. subclause
4. miscalculate
5. cloudiness
6. reclusive
7. enclosure
8. colleague

R

rokapoke

July 23

In each row, change the first letter of the two words to a different letter (the same for both) to form two new words. Write the new letter in the blank. These letters will form a word reading down.

GAIT ___ CHIP
FLOE ___ GRID
MICE ___ LAST
OMIT ___ ALMS

Answer:
Wait / Whip
Aloe / Arid
Vice / Vast
Emit / Elms

WAVE.

turgy22

Nothing Special
July 24th
Find the number that best completes the following sequence.

6 31 156 ____ 3906

July 25th - Go Figure
Fill in the blanks with spelled-out numbers to make the statement true. (Imagine a pentagon around the following statement - I can't draw it and don't feel like scanning.)

In this
pentagon
there are
_____ O's,
_____ T's
and _____ G's

July 23rd Answer:

WAVE

Spiderman

Administrator
Staff member
July 24th

6 31 156 ____ 3906

Answer:

781 (the pattern is the number * 5 + 1

July 25th - Go Figure
Fill in the blanks with spelled-out numbers to make the statement true. (Imagine a pentagon around the following statement - I can't draw it and don't feel like scanning.)

In this
pentagon
there are
_____ O's,
_____ T's
and _____ G's

July 23rd Answer:

I'm assuming you don't count the capitals? If so,

three O's
four T's
one G's

R

rokapoke

July 24th

6 31 156 ____ 3906

Answer:
781. If y is the number in the sequence following x, then y = 5x + 1.

July 25th - Go Figure

In this
pentagon
there are
_____ O's,
_____ T's
and _____ G's

Answer:
three, six, two

turgy22

Nothing Special
July 26th
Fill in the first blank below with a five-letter word that fits the definition. Add one letter and rearrange to make a six-letter word that fits the next definition. Then add another letter and rearrange to make a seven-letter word that fits the last definition.

Like argon __________
Point in the right direction __________
Peanut butter is one source of it __________

July 27th
A punny question with enumeration (2 3 3 1 7, 4 2 3 4?) is coiled in the grid below. To spell it out, start on the "I" at the upper right and keep moving letter to letter, always going to an adjacent letter in any direction until you get to the question mark. Every letter in the grid will be used once only.

E K C I I
N D O H F
? S E C Y
L I T A O
W Y C T U
O F R I H

July 24th Answer:

July 25th Answer:

four, five, two is the answer provided by the puzzle, but three, six, two also works

Spiderman

Administrator
Staff member
July 25th Answer:

four, five, two is the answer provided by the puzzle, but three, six, two also works

So how do you get the answer provided by the puzzle?

July 27th
A punny question with enumeration (2 3 3 1 7, 4 2 3 4?) is coiled in the grid below. To spell it out, start on the "I" at the upper right and keep moving letter to letter, always going to an adjacent letter in any direction until you get to the question mark. Every letter in the grid will be used once only.

E K C I I
N D O H F
? S E C Y
L I T A O
W Y C T U
O F R I H

Answer:

If you hit a chicken, does it cry fowl?

R

rokapoke

July 26th
Fill in the first blank below with a five-letter word that fits the definition. Add one letter and rearrange to make a six-letter word that fits the next definition. Then add another letter and rearrange to make a seven-letter word that fits the last definition.

Like argon __________
Point in the right direction __________
Peanut butter is one source of it __________

Answer:
Inert, Orient, Protein

July 27th

Answer:

turgy22

Nothing Special
Rearrange the letters of each flower to fill in the blanks. For example, ROSE rearranged could turn P____NALITY into PERSONALITY.

Flowers: ASTER, LILAC, LOTUS, TULIP, PANSY

WHATCHAMA_____T
AB_____ELY
M_____LEX
MAIN_____M
_____SE

July 26th Answers:

inert, orient, protein

July 27th Answer:

Spiderman;285260 said:
So how do you get the answer provided by the puzzle?
Just work backwards. Start by filling in "two" for the G's, which is the easiest one since no spelled-out number less than eight will give you an extra G. That gives you "five" T's, which adds no extra letters. You're left with 3 O's, which you can raise to 4 by filling in the word "four".

R

rokapoke

July 28

Rearrange the letters of each flower to fill in the blanks. For example, ROSE rearranged could turn P____NALITY into PERSONALITY.

Flowers: ASTER, LILAC, LOTUS, TULIP, PANSY

WHATCHAMA_____T
AB_____ELY
M_____LEX
MAIN_____M
_____SE

Answers:
whatchamaCALLIt -- lilac
abSOLUTely -- lotus
mULTIPlex -- tulip
mainSTREAm -- aster
SYNAPse -- pansy

turgy22

Nothing Special
A palindrome is a word, sentence, or group of words that reads the same backward and forward. What palindrome is suggested by the following clue?

A sign at a fruit store saying they are out of some items.

N _ . _ _ _ _ _ S, . _ _ . _ _ _ _ _

July 28th Answers:

whatchamacallit
absolutely
multiplex
mainstream
synapse

R

rokapoke

July 29
A palindrome is a word, sentence, or group of words that reads the same backward and forward. What palindrome is suggested by the following clue?

A sign at a fruit store saying they are out of some items.

N _ . _ _ _ _ _ S, . _ _ . _ _ _ _ _

Answer:
No melons, no lemon.

turgy22

Nothing Special
Jack can paint a certain fence in 40 minutes. Jill, who is faster, can paint the same fence in 10 minutes. Jerry, who is even faster, can paint the same fence in 8 minutes. If all three painters work together, how long will it take them to paint the fence?

July 29th Answer:

"No lemons, no melon" is the answer provided by the puzzle. Rokapoke's answer of "No melons, no lemon" obviously works as well.

R

rokapoke

July 30

Jack can paint a certain fence in 40 minutes. Jill, who is faster, can paint the same fence in 10 minutes. Jerry, who is even faster, can paint the same fence in 8 minutes. If all three painters work together, how long will it take them to paint the fence?

Answer:
Jack = 40 minutes/fence => 0.025 fences/minute
Jill = 10 minutes/fence => 0.1 fences/minute
Jerry = 8 minutes/fence => 0.125 fences/minute

Jack + Jill + Jerry = 0.25 fences/minute = 4 minutes/fence
It will take them 4 minutes to paint the fence together. I think.

E

EricBess

July 30

Answer:
I used fractions, but yes, 4-minutes is correct. Jack paints the fence in 40 minutes, so each minute, he paints 1/40th of the fence.
Similary, Jill paints 1/10th (or 4/40ths) of the fence per minute and Jerry paints 1/8th (or 5/40ths) per minute.
Working together, they paint 1/40th + 4/40ths + 5/40ths of the fence per minute, which is 10/40ths or 1/4th

So together, they paint the fence in 4 minutes, assuming they don't get in each others way and are all trying to paint the fence the same color...In practice, more people means painting each other so... ;)

turgy22

Nothing Special
July 31st
Fit the words crossword-style into this grid. We've given you one letter to get you started. To be extra tricky, we've added two extra words to the word list that you won't need to use.

._ _ _ _
|_|_|_|_|
|_|_|_|_|
|_|_|_|_|
|_|_|_|_|

AIDE SWIG
GENT TAGS
IDEA TWIN
NEAT WIRE
SAWN WREN

August 1st - In Short
What do the following words have in common?

INTRODUCTION
BIOGRAPHY
EXPOSITION
LIMOUSINE
KILOGRAM
BROTHER
PSYCHOPATH
STENOGRAPHER
RHINOCEROS
MAYONNAISE

July 30th Answer:

4 minutes