Daily Brainteaser

turgy22

Nothing Special
Every year, my mom buys me an off-the-wall Mensa calender, featuring a different puzzle every day. I thought it might be fun to share these little brainteasers on here to see how everyone else fares with the various word and number games.

I'm not going to make this an official scored game or anything like that... just throwing out another daily diversion. Feel free to post your answers in the thread and see if you're smarter than your fellow CPAers. Obviously, I'll refrain from answering as I'll always have a head start, not to mention access to the back of each page, where the answers are printed.

Hope everyone enjoys!

turgy22

Nothing Special
The following 11 letters can be anagrammed into a four-word common sarcastic response to a complaint. The enumeration is (3 2 1 5).

Can you figure it out?

A C E E I M R R R V Y

B

BigBlue

How does one make text invisible? I know it, but I don't want to spoil it for others...

Cry me a river

R

rokapoke

It took me a bit of time, but I got the same as BB did. Is there a way to make text invisible?

I guess posting in WHITE makes it very hard to read...

turgy22

Nothing Special
Congrats, BigBlue!

If you want to hide your answer, I'd say rokapoke's suggestion of the white quasi-invisitext is the way to go. I know I have trouble reading through it without looking twice.

And just so everyone knows, most of the puzzles aren't this easy. On the harder ones, the first answer won't necessarily be the correct one.

B

BigBlue

Is there a way to do a hex color? From the source, it's "#336699"...

turgy22

Nothing Special
Yeah, just enter as follows (without the ' before color):

Code:
['color=#f5f5ff]Sample Text[/COLOR]
And it appears as:
Sample Text

Mooseman

Isengar Tussle
Very nice.... If everyone would "hide" their answers, then people can see what they posted only if they want to.....

Post another one!!!!!

turgy22

Nothing Special
In this maze, start on A and end on W. Move two letters (e.g., A to K), then three. Alternate between moving two and three letters, and use the full amount each move. You can move horizontally, vertically, or diagonally, but you can never repeat a letter in your path, make an immediate U-turn (tracing back the same path), or land on or cross a water (~) space.

What is the shortest path and longest path from A to W?

Code:
[SIZE="4"]A B C D E
F G H I J
K L M N ~
~ O P Q R
S T U V W[/SIZE]

turgy22

Nothing Special
In the seven-term sequence A, B, C, D, E, F, G, each term after the first three is the sum of the previous three terms. If D = 12, E = 17, and G = 60, determine the value of A.

turgy22

Nothing Special
Each answer is an overlap of three common words. Consecutive words within each answer share three or more letters. For example, Liberace prop + Rio's land + immensely wealthy person = candelabrazillionaire (candelabra + Brazil + zillionaire).

1. Office squawk-box system + war action + Caped Crusader's car
_ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ (17 letters)

2. Sleeping visionary + vendor + gown lace
_ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ (16 letters)

3. Sunshade + in the black + avenue in Monopoly
_ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ (14 letters)

Mooseman

Isengar Tussle
Maze

Shortest: A K N T W
Longest:A C P F I O R H U K N T W

January 3rd
7 3 2 12 17 31 60

January 2nd (Too much Wheel of Fortune with my daughter)
Hypoallergenic

R

rokapoke

January 4

Answer: interCOM/BATmobile

Answer: dreaMER/CHANTilly

Answer: paraSOL/VENTnor

R

rokapoke

January 1

In this maze, start on A and end on W. Move two letters (e.g., A to K), then three. Alternate between moving two and three letters, and use the full amount each move. You can move horizontally, vertically, or diagonally, but you can never repeat a letter in your path, make an immediate U-turn (tracing back the same path), or land on or cross a water (~) space.

What is the shortest path and longest path from A to W?

Code:
[SIZE="4"]
A B C D E
F G H I J
K L M N ~
~ O P Q R
S T U V W[/SIZE]
My answers (I made a few assumptions, so I don't know if I'm doing it right):

Shortest: A - GM - QVW = 5 letters (excluding A)
Longest: A - BC - DEJ - IH - GFK - LM - NQP - OT - UVW = 20 letters (excluding A)

R

rokapoke

January 3

In the seven-term sequence A, B, C, D, E, F, G, each term after the first three is the sum of the previous three terms. If D = 12, E = 17, and G = 60, determine the value of A.

Answer:
F = G - D - E = 31
C = F - D - E = 2
B = E - C - D = 3
A = D - B - C = 7

A = 7

B

BigBlue

turgy22;276212 said:
Fill in the blanks to complete the 14-letter word below.

H _ _ _ A _ _ E R _ _ N _ C
Hypoallergenic

Answer to Math Problem

A=7

Ans: Intercombatmobile

Ans: Unknown as of yet...

Ans: Unknown as of yet...