Potential New Format

Spiderman

Administrator
Staff member
Tucked away in Tom LaPille's article, there was mention of a new format: Modern

The Modern format features sets that were originally printed using the modern card frames. Specifically, the following is permitted in Modern:

Eighth Edition
Ninth Edition
Tenth Edition
Magic 2010
Magic 2011
Mirrodin block
Kamigawa block
Ravnica block
Coldsnap
Time Spiral block (including the "timeshifted" cards)
Lorwyn block
Shadowmoor block
Shards of Alara block
Zendikar block
Scars of Mirrodin block

In addition, we'll be using the following banned list for the Modern round of the Community Cup:

Ancient Den
Seat of the Synod
Vault of Whispers
Great Furnace
Tree of Tales
Chrome Mox
Dark Depths
Sensei's Divining Top
Skullclamp
Sword of the Meek
Umezawa's Jitte
Golgari Grave-Troll

As I said, many of you have called for a non-rotating format that doesn't have the card availability problems of Legacy. We propose Modern as that format.

This represents only a proposal and an experiment.

turgy22

Nothing Special
I hope they approve this and then institute it on MTGO. I like playing there, but don't play often enough to keep up with the new sets. The last time I tried, all my favorite decks had rotated out of Extended, so I tried Vintage (or Legacy or Classic or whatever they call it on there) and got my butt thoroughly whupped in every game I played by ridiculously over-powered decks. I'd prefer if they went back a bit further, like to Invasion block, but just having a non-rotating format that doesn't go back to Alpha would be nice. The 10th edition card face change seems a fine starting point.

Oversoul

The Tentacled One
I don't care for this, maybe because I don't play MTGO. Legacy has a lot more appeal for me. Most of my cards are older anyway and would be excluded in this format. Also, I don't really buy the comparison to Legacy, but without the card availability problems. Sure, it eliminates some pesky Legacy staples that are hard to come by for newer players (or anyone, really). Dual lands, FoW, um, Moat. But also cuts out thousands of other cards that aren't ridiculously expensive. Most of them are unplayable anyway, but still...

Oh, and, at least for actual printed cards, this would have some pretty major availability problems of its own. Not as much as Legacy, but that's to be expected with a smaller cardpool.

Shabbaman

insert avatar here
The last time I tried, all my favorite decks had rotated out of Extended
I lost all interest in Extended when Invasion rotated out, because it killed my Rock deck. I was already in mourning because of the earlier banning of Vampiric Tutor. I still think that Extended was a very nice format after the duals rotated (in 2002), up 'till 2007 when Invasion rotated. To me the appeal of such a format is to play older cards yet not play Vintage with it's high power level. While Invasion is not an old set (though it might be for some people) somehow it's a turning point for me. I guess it's because of Pernicious Deed.

Anyway, I switched to Legacy, and it's so nice not to worry about card rotations. Decks get killed because of bannings (Survival, I miss you) or because of new cards (Mental Misstep, why...) but at least there's continuity. I applaud that Wizards has seen the light in that aspect, but with this set of cards Modern has no appeal to me. Let me play with Deed or Entomb and I'm happy.

Spiderman

Administrator
Staff member
To me, it sounds like this format is geared towards "newer" players who didn't play or don't have access to the sets you guys are mentioning :)

Something for everyone.

Mooseman

Isengar Tussle
Yep, It's legacy for new players.
A lot of players don't have the power cards for legacy, but want to play a format with the cards they have collected.

Spiderman

Administrator
Staff member
The only "concern" I have is with the name, "Modern". I mean, in another five years it won't be so modern, would it? That's when they'll need to come up with another "current" format :)

Shabbaman

insert avatar here
The only "concern" I have is with the name, "Modern". I mean, in another five years it won't be so modern, would it? That's when they'll need to come up with another "current" format :)
It's because it refers to the card frame: cards with the new card frame are legal, cards with the original card frame aren't (unless they're reprinted obviously). But you're right, there might be a time when the real card frame will be called the old card frame, and the current card frame will be... well, it'll still be the ugly card frame. So, let's call Modern from now on Ugly.
Yep, It's legacy for new players.
A lot of players don't have the power cards for legacy, but want to play a format with the cards they have collected.
That's a decent summary. In the meanwhile, the prices of some cards have exploded, so this might not be the accessable format it seemed to be. On the upside: all these cards can be reprinted. That's no upside for those who already have the card though. And somehow I doubt Tarmogoyf will ever be reprinted.

Spiderman

Administrator
Staff member
In the meanwhile, the prices of some cards have exploded, so this might not be the accessable format it seemed to be
It's still early as people are trying different deck ideas to figure out the format. It'll settle down.

Oversoul

The Tentacled One
And somehow I doubt Tarmogoyf will ever be reprinted.
Came across this old thread looking for something else and had to thread necromancy this gem. In fairness, I'm pretty confident that I can find some of my own predictions that look way sillier than this in retrospect. But I'd have to go hunt them down. :p

P

Psarketos

I really like the "Frontier" era card frame, which is a part of why I like the format aesthetically. I remember really disliking the first card frame changes, but this most recent iteration is my favorite.

Oversoul

The Tentacled One
Huh? Did they change the frames again? On the plus side, it could spawn another new format: Post-Modern.
They did, but you didn't care. :p

I'm assume that I'm partial to the old frame due to nostalgia, but I actually think that perhaps the best frame they did was the "timeshifted" frame for Planar Chaos, seen on the cards that were color-swapped reprints of old cards.

Shabbaman

insert avatar here
Came across this old thread looking for something else and had to thread necromancy this gem. In fairness, I'm pretty confident that I can find some of my own predictions that look way sillier than this in retrospect. But I'd have to go hunt them down. :p
At the time Wizards didn't have the habit of printing overpriced cards (discounting Chronicles, which didn't work out that well). I sold my playset of goyfs before Modern Masters, thinking they couldn't possibly be worth more after reprinting. Apparently I have no idea how the secondary market works.

On the other side, nobody expected Steam flogger boss to get a reprint either.