Warhammer Quest: The Sylvan Epic

Spiderman

Administrator
Staff member
What Dorgath takes away from the explanation: "Elves need dwarven help, yet again! All right, let's get to this tree and I and the others will hold off the 'hordes' while the elves do their healing thing. That is, if everything is fixed here, like the fountain. If not, let's do that first."

Oversoul

The Tentacled One
"The fountain is safe now, thanks to you people. But Dorgath, you're the first dwarf I've ever met who actually helped us. The high priestess once asked the dwarves for help finding the book, and they refused. But that was before my time. I suppose that this is a welcome change. Oh, and I want to thank all of you for saving my life."

Jekaena gives everyone in the party a Wand of Ariel. These small wooden rods are blessed by Ariel herself, and elven warriors fortunate enough to be granted one traditionally wear them braided into the hair or tucked into the belt. The wands grant +2 to break from pinning. As they are used over time, there is a chance for the blessing to wear off (on a D6 roll of 1 to escape pinning, the wand is exhausted).

Oversoul

The Tentacled One
"Oh, besides just rescuing me, you stopped the goblins from poisoning our water. I managed to grab some things before the goblins could get them. I think you've earned these. But you'll have to decide amongst yourselves who uses them..."

• Blade of Leaping Bronze: As soon as it is drawn, this blade strikes with incredible speed. The wielder of this sword gets +2 Attacks. Worth 450 gold.
  • A set of Gauntlets of Damzhar: This thick iron gauntlet is covered with studs in the shape of dwarven runes...
A bit of explanation, as this one is unusual. Honestly, what happened was that I used some old treasure tables, and this result came up with one of the best possible rolls. I can say that this is one of the most powerful treasures in the original game and I wasn't particularly planning for you guys to get it, but I wanted a little randomness here and there, and so I'm going with the result I got. Ordinarily, getting just one of these gauntlets would be nice. But you get two. Here's how they work.

A Warrior wearing one gauntlet of Damzhar gets one bonus attack at -1 to hit and +1 Strength. And if you're only wearing one, that's it. From seeing how combat functions, it should be evident that this is pretty good.

A Warrior wearing two gauntlets of Damzhar gets an extra attack from the full set, for a total of 3 bonus attacks. Instead of being at -1 to hit, these attacks are at +1 to hit. And instead of boosting Strength, the combined attack off the gauntlets causes 4D6 damage. As should also be evident, this is bonkers and constitutes more offensive capability than some members of the party have even combining their weapons and abilities.

So yeah, you could split them up and let two different party members each get a nice bonus. Or you could have one person wear both and get a much larger boost. I'll probably just be splitting gold from fights up evenly at this point unless there are objections, so I don't think that aspect should be such a big concern.

Each gauntlet is worth 500 gold, not that it matters.

Melkor

(Out of character) I think that 1000 gold could feed many and bring much glory to Sigmar . . . but seriously, I support one of the brawlers taking both, dwarven runes suggest Dorgath. Also, I'm glad that the in character right thing to do is not read what everyone else heard, it definitely fits in with my out of character laziness /end out of character.

"I'm glad that we could be of help and I beseech us all to remember Sigmar's wisdom as we move forward"

Spiderman

Administrator
Staff member
Are those bonuses if you just attack with the gauntlets or also if you use a weapon while wearing them?

TomB

Administrator
Staff member
The Gauntlets do seem to have a natural connection to Dorgath, so I'm good with the dwarf taking both. I do have a question though: Is the Blade of Leaping Bronze considered a magic weapon as far as hitting stuff like demons? If so I should prolly think about replacing the Pit Flail with it...:)

Ty nods at Dorgath's explanation, and agrees about our next objective, then turns to Jekaena. "Thank you for the gifts Jekaena. We'll put them to good use...in fact, it sounds like we still have a battle to fight. Any idea what we'll be facing?"

Oversoul

The Tentacled One
Are those bonuses if you just attack with the gauntlets or also if you use a weapon while wearing them?
The gauntlet attacks are separate from your normal attacks and come after them, sort of like with your kick attack from your Boots of Battle, but better.

The Gauntlets do seem to have a natural connection to Dorgath, so I'm good with the dwarf taking both. I do have a question though: Is the Blade of Leaping Bronze considered a magic weapon as far as hitting stuff like demons? If so I should prolly think about replacing the Pit Flail with it...:)
It is a magic weapon. At +2 Attacks, it would be pretty similar to your Fist Spike, but the sword can cause deathblows like any other sword, while the spike's unique ability lets you move into the spaces occupied by monsters that you kill with it. So which one is better depends on the situation.

Oversoul

The Tentacled One
Also, I'm glad that the in character right thing to do is not read what everyone else heard, it definitely fits in with my out of character laziness /end out of character.
I deliberately left that part open-ended. I considered sending out private messages, but I'm thinking of reserving that for cases when characters aren't together or when it's something more internal or that characters would consider private. I figured that the characters might discuss the subject in this case, so even if you did read someone else's interpretation of what Jekaena said, it could be that the characters themselves are conferring with each other. But mostly it was for flavor. Jekaena speaks very quickly and in very technical language, often preoccupied. I toyed with the idea of writing up a sort of fake lecture on magic to illustrate this, but that would have seemed like a puzzle for the players to figure out. So I went with individualized character interpretations in an attempt to show that even though she is saying the same words to everyone, different characters hear different things.

Oversoul

The Tentacled One
Ty nods at Dorgath's explanation, and agrees about our next objective, then turns to Jekaena. "Thank you for the gifts Jekaena. We'll put them to good use...in fact, it sounds like we still have a battle to fight. Any idea what we'll be facing?"
"Unfortunately, you probably have a better idea of that than I do. I've been confined to this temple for too long. Speaking of which..."

Spiderman

Administrator
Staff member
Oversoul said:
The gauntlet attacks are separate from your normal attacks and come after them, sort of like with your kick attack from your Boots of Battle, but better.
Huh, that's interesting. I thought it would replace a melee attack because it doesn't seem right that you can attack with fists after attacking with an axe. But if that's the way it works...

Dorgath gladly accept the Gauntlets and spends a brief moment admiring the dwarven runes and craftsmanship.

"I'm ready to restore this elf tree. Actually, I'm ready to smash anything or anyone trying to hurt this elf tree."

turgy22

Nothing Special
Throg has no problem with the gauntlets going to the weakest party member. Perhaps Dorgath won't be so much of a liability in combat any more.

TomB

Administrator
Staff member
"Can anyone else use the sword? I really hate the way this flail sometimes hits ME when I use it in battle...:rolleyes:"

TomB

Administrator
Staff member
"Sounds like it's settled then." Ty turns to Jekaena. "So are we ready to head to the Heart? I think it's past time this land was healed."

Oversoul

The Tentacled One
Dorgath equips the gauntlets and Ty equips the sword. I am currently assuming that Ty leads with his Fist Spike and switches to his other weapon when he thinks that he can finish his foe off and go for a deathblow.

TomB

Administrator
Staff member
Yes, he'll lead with the Fist Spike normally but will switch when there's an opportunity for a deathblow, like when fighting multiple smaller, weaker enemies that are packed together and likely to take less than 1 hit each to dispatch or if a larger enemy is almost done and there's another in range. Eventually I'm going to train him into dual-wielding, so he takes an attack each round with both but for now he'll just switch when appropriate...:)

Oversoul

The Tentacled One
You depart from the undercroft and ascend the staircase, finding the interior of the temple seemingly deserted. There seems to be some commotion just outside, from where you entered the temple in the first place.

TomB

Administrator
Staff member
I'd say we assume standard marching order, and move ready for combat as necessary.