Warhammer Quest: The Sylvan Epic

Oversoul

The Tentacled One
Did Ty get his hit point top-off from the Heal-Itt potion I mentioned in post #231?
Nope. I missed that. Belatedly...

Ty quaffs from a Heal-Itt Potion twice, restoring 2 Wounds, then 5 Wounds (13/15 Wounds)

Tomas will dip into his magic power store to cast Life Force on Tyresius.
Corticruss used his Wizard's Staff, which lets him re-roll the Power Phase once per adventure (it's below the line for the Power Phase, in blue). So you don't need to dip into Tomas' Power Store to cast that spell, as this turn is now providing you with 8 Power for spellcasting...

He will also continue his feeble efforts with his sword.
Heh. Yeah, your weapon skill is lower and she is fighting defensively. Wizards are mediocre at melee combat.

Mooseman

Isengar Tussle
Carrow feels a lighting of his pain and quaffs his Grunnson Full Healing Potion.
He will then try to continue on to attack his nemesis, Darenaeok.

R

rokapoke

In light of the increased power coursing through his veins, Tomas will cast both Life Force *and* Ogre Strength on Tyresius.

Spiderman

Administrator
Staff member
*Tomas identifies the dark aura sustaining Khaligri. 96 more damage is needed to break the spell, which should kill her.*

Holy moly....

Dorgath switches back his trusty axe, cursing unreliable magic items, and continues to assault Darenaeok.

Oversoul

The Tentacled One
-Carrow quaffs his Grunnson Full Healing Potion. He fully purges the poison from his system and is permanently fortified (17/17 Wounds).
-Onola casts Aerosolized Ogre Juice. Everyone in the area, friend or foe, gets +3 Strength this turn.
-Khaligri casts Blade Wind. The whirling blades rip through Tyresius (9/15).
-Khaligri casts Malection of Nagash. Cuts open up on Darvalk's body. He cannot move or use missile weapons for the rest of the turn. He is at -2 to hit for the rest of the turn. He sustains 2 damage this turn (19/21).
-Khaligri casts Hand of Dust, striking Skullcrusher (7/11).
-Khaligri attempts to cast a spell, but botches it.
-Tomas casts Life Force on Tyresius.
-Tomas casts Ogre Strength on Tyresius (+2 Strength this turn).
-Coricruss casts Lightning Bolt on Khaligri (2 damage).
-Corticruss casts Lightning Bolt on Khaligri (3 damage).
-Corticruss draws 4 Power from his Chalice of Sorcery, but takes 6 damage from it (14/20).
-Corticruss casts Lightning Bolt on Khaligri (4 damage).
-Kelgar blesses himself and Carrow with Vanquish. Both get +1 Attacks this turn.
-Darvalk goes Berserk.
-Revaethan, screaming his battle cry, rushes in and rips his swords out of Khaligri's torso (7 damage).
-Revaethan swings at Khaligri's head, but she ducks.
-Carrow focuses intently and draws his bow...

Amid all the fighting, Revaethan can he heard hastily blurting out something about the book. Without understanding what he is saying, Carrow begins to grasp the truth. The Sylvan Epic has some tie to a greater power, an ancient power. Whether the book itself knows or whether it is simply that Carrow knows and his connection to the power is enough, he senses the power stirring, responding to evil forces that threaten it. He looses his arrows at specific points in the magical barrier, points that seem outwardly unremarkable but they are the ones he knows with a certainty to be the right ones.

-Carrow's shooting somehow shatters the barrier in a flash of blue light.
-One of the barrier-shattering arrows ricochets into Darenaeok's sabre, disarming him.
-Carrow shoots Darenaeok in his other shoulder (2 damage). Crackling blue light emerges from the wound, and the shaft of the arrow glows brighter and brighter.
-Otto smacks Darenaeok in the head with his rapier (1 damage).
-Otto stabs Darenaeok (1 damage).
-Otto thrusts his rapier into his unarmed foe (2 damage).
-Otto strikes again (3 damage).
-Otto fumbles and Darenaeok is finally able to slip away from him.
-Skullcrusher trips over his own feet.
-Darenaeok lashes out at Otto with his fists, but the nobleman hops back out of range.
-Darenaeok turns his attention to Dorgath, but the dwarf is ready and lunges in first.
-Tomas swings at thin air.
-Tomas attacks more in Khaligri's general direction this time, but she casually leans away from the blow.
-Corticruss slashes at Khaligri, but she blocks it.
-Darvalk decapitates a beastman.
-Darvalk's deathblow cuts into another beastman with enough enhanced strength to finish the job.
-Ty slams his fist spike into Khaligri again (11 damage).
-Ty chops Khaligri (7 damage).
-Ty lands another big strike, throwing in his knuckle dusters for good measure (12 damage).
-Ty leaps onto Khaligri with a knee strike and catches her with his knuckle dusters again (7 damage).
-Ty catches Khaligri with his knuckle dusters again and sets up an even bigger knee strike, knocking her into the air. At last, the dark elven sorceress crumples to the ground, dead.
-Kelgar gets the drop on a beastman that charges Carrow. He swings wide the first time.
-Kelgar dispatches the monster with his hammer.
-Dorgath hacks into Darenaeok with a well-timed Great Axe Attack (12 damage).
-Dorgath moves to finish Darenaeok, but his axe whistles past his opponent's head.
-Dorgath kicks, but Darenaeok rolls away from it.

The remaining beastmen are struck down from a distance by arrows sailing through the smoke. Darenaeok looks for an opening, but finds nothing: his dark elf allies are dead, his beastmen and daemons have also fallen, most of his portals are gone, his wands have broken, and his armors is no longer repairing his wounds quickly enough. He falls to his knees and utters one last incantation. The flesh melts from his bones and his armor swells up, swallowing his body. The armor is split by a gout of flame and something emerges, but it is no longer human. Darenaeok has transformed into a towering undead abomination. Seeing this, Otto reaches for something inside his own boot. As Darenaeok strides toward Carrow, chilling winds buffeting those in his path, Otto fires his dueling pistol, then frantically tackles Dorgath...

"Look out!"

-Darenaeok is annihilated in a pillar of light.

"It is done."

Oversoul

The Tentacled One
More to follow, of course. I need to do a little math to award everyone their gold from this long fight...

R

rokapoke

-Ty catches Khaligri with his knuckle dusters again and sets up an even bigger knee strike, knocking her into the air. At last, the dark elven sorceress crumples to the ground, dead.
-Tomas swings at thin air.
-Tomas attacks more in Khaligri's general direction this time, but she casually leans away from the blow.
-Corticruss slashes at Khaligri, but she blocks it.
"That sure was a nimble corpse! Well done, all!"

Tomas distributes the healing from Life Force to the most critically-injured characters first before trying to heal any NPCs.

Mooseman

Isengar Tussle
" I am so tired of these attacks upon me and mine. It is time to take the fight to those that have it out for me."

Oversoul

The Tentacled One
"That sure was a nimble corpse! Well done, all!"
Hahaha, awesome. I was cutting and pasting and recoloring and all to make that last post, but I was falling asleep at the time and figured it would be messed up in some way. Still, that error is almost too funny to fix. However, Darenaeok actually did walk around while dead, and the idea was for only one of them to do that. Too confusing. I'm fixing the post.

Also, I need to tally up gold to award for this big fight. I'll include gold from healing from Tomas's last spell. Be on the lookout for updated character sheets some time in the next couple of weeks...

Oversoul

The Tentacled One
Otto is a bit dazed...

"I couldn't believe it. I would have failed on my own. I know that now. Still, he is dead. And I had to use that shot. There was no other way. You saw it. I cannot return home. Not yet, at least. So I shall stay here and try to learn more. But first, I need to rest. He had powerful magic, damn him. Grungni take them indeed.

I was the youngest son of the family. My parents were blessed with many children. In our family's traditions, the first son joins the Reiksguard, the second son joins the Knights Griffon, the third and fourth sons join the Colleges of Magic or the Imperial School of Engineers. I was a fifth son. I was superfluous. I did not want for money, so I dreamed of a life of adventure. My brother, Magnus, taught me to fight. And after he departed to train with the Reiksguard, I learned a little swordplay from an uncle.

The Sedrazzis waited until the whole family reunited on our ancestral estate, then they launched their attack. They sent in their minions first. They had numbers, but we had some of the finest warriors in the Empire. My father and brothers sent me to the tower to guard my sisters, although I know now that it was because I was so young and they merely hoped to keep me away from danger. We could not win: the necromancy of the Sedrazzis was too powerful. While the fighting men in my family were entrapped by dark magic, Darenaeok Sedrazzi broke into the tower. To my shame, I ran from him. One by one, he stalked my sisters and killed them with his bare hands. I cursed myself for my cowardice, but I could not face him. I suppose that he would have killed me too, but the Sedrazzis were interrupted. There was one more sibling: my oldest sister, called Sieden. I had never met her in person. As a young girl, she studied magic with my brother, Rickard. My family deemed her brilliant, and when it became clear that the Colleges of Magic would never accept her, they used family connections to send her to Ulthuan to continue her studies. She left before I was born, and I had no notion that she would be returning after all those years. The Sedrazzis did not expect her either. When she saw them performing necromantic rituals on her family, she flew into a rage the likes of which I cannot put into words. Clever villains that they are, despite Sieden's power, two of the Sedrazzis escaped.

Sieden runs the estate now, but our family's holdings are a shadow of what they once were. The one thread by which the House of Rolhannes holds any claim to power is that my sister does some important work on behalf of the Emperor himself. That is all we have left. I aimed to change that by becoming a great adventurer and restoring my family's good name. My sister did not approve, but she foresaw that I might find an enemy that I could not possibly defeat. The shot I used to destroy Darenaeok was crafted at the expense of her extreme effort and pain. She took time away from her Imperial business to create it as a contingency, only to be used in the case of dire need. And now I've expended the shot already. But it could not be helped. And perhaps we have saved Middenheim from invasion. Well, in any case, I remain in this city for now. In the future, if you find yourselves here and want another sword in your travels, do look me up. I am still intent on becoming a great adventurer some day."

Oversoul

The Tentacled One
Also, I don't know whether to award Tyresius bonus gold for doing such insane damage or to find new dice that don't magically roll all high numbers just for him. :rolleyes:

Spiderman

Administrator
Staff member
Give him the gold! :D

"It seems this Sylvan book has greater importance than we thought and knew. Perhaps we should go and return it *now*... (after healing and resting up)"

TomB

Administrator
Staff member
"Agreed, though we might want to stop by that house where we found Darenaeok in the first place. If that's where he was running his criminal enterprise there might be more loots to be had and besides, he could have some info about who sent him after Carrow there."

Oversoul

The Tentacled One
Revaethan chimes in...

"While I didn't see you leaving the house, I did get a look at the area where the Chaos gates started forming. I think the building is presently on fire. The whole neighborhood, really. We might want to get out of here before the fires and gates get blamed on us. We should find Lord Cael. He's ready to travel now..."

Corticruss responds...

"Lord Cael will have seen the magnificent blue flash from when Carrow shot down that magical barrier. I wish I knew how he did that. Anyway, he should be here any minute now. And I would guess that almost everyone in the city saw the huge column of light that, ah," he glaces at Otto, "well, whatever that was. This brings up another matter, actually. Due to circumstances you wouldn't be aware of, the Cobbler's Guild will soon begin searching for you. That may not sound like a problem, but you definitely don't want them to find you here. At least not tonight. Give me a few weeks for them to cool off, get back to business as usual, and I'll smooth-talk them on your behalf. Ah, here comes Lord Cael now..."

Lord Cael arrives with a contingent of elven archers...

"Carrow! Ravaethan! I knew it was getting bad, but I didn't expect an invasion of beastmen here. My people did what they could, and I've heard that the Knights Panther are defeating the invaders. If it has come to this point here, I can only imagine how bad it is back home. We should travel to Loren before it is too late. Are you ready? And who is coming with us?"

Oversoul

The Tentacled One
Revaethan: "What about the uh, human girl that was with Throg?"

Corticruss: "You know, I have no idea where she ran off to. I think that was the count's daughter. And presumably the count thinks that he abducted her. Maybe he actually did. Either way, that's just another reason to get him out of Middenheim until this whole thing blows over..."

Revaethan nods to some of the elves and they scoop Throg up off the ground.

Oversoul

The Tentacled One
Note: Adding up gold and cleaning up character sheets. Tyresius has paid back the monies he initially borrowed from other party members. He is still in debt to a lord in Middenheim, but that will have to wait for now (as long as he is in debt, certain events have a chance to trigger things related to his debt, like thugs coming after him, but that's all at my discretion and would reasonably depend on where he is: debt-related events are highly likely in Middenheim, but rather unlikely if he's in some faraway land or whatever).