New wargame?

Spiderman

Administrator
Staff member
It looks like Risk is wrapping up, so i was wondering if people wanted to play another wargame - I was thinking either Risk-Lord of the Rings style or a Gamemaster game from the 80's, Fortress America (in the same family of Axis and Allies). I would run them, of course, to let rokapoke play, unless he really likes running the games and not playing :)

R

rokapoke

I think you'll find that running the game takes a lot more out of you than you expect.

I may be interested in playing, too. Good idea. But please set forth a definite plan for what happens when turns are over-delayed. I got to the point with Risk where I felt that skipping a turn would have an excessive effect on the outcome of the game, so it just drags on.

Mooseman

Isengar Tussle
I wonder if monopoly may work here or another game like it, that lends itself to message-board play. hmmm......

Spiderman

Administrator
Staff member
Yeah, but I have time (or will, once I get caught up with everything at work).

Good question, I guess either the game will have to drag on until the player gets back or they forfeit their position if it's an abnormally long time (like a month); like having to go home in real life or something. Hopefully the people who commit to these things are regulars and only a unexpected delay in real life would prevent them from logging on.

In Fortress America though, it kinda needs every player so... probably will just have to wait then, I guess. Just expect to be in for the long haul.

Spiderman

Administrator
Staff member
New post so people will know... will merge it with the above tomorrow.

Monopoly is okay, but it's just so... "pedestrian". :) I like the wargames aspect...

Mooseman

Isengar Tussle
I'm just talking about how the board lends itself to posts.....ie.
Spidey:
Cash:375
Deeds:
St James place: rent=12
Parkplace:H, rent=375
Token on: Free Parking
etc....

Don't most war games require a lot of pieces? A&A would be insane to try to keep up with..... it's such a visual game....

Spiderman

Administrator
Staff member
Oh. Yeah, that could work, but I would like to see the whole Monopoly board itself. Kinda like how I did that Ghosts game a while back.

Most wargames require a lot of pieces, which is why something like rokapoke's spreadsheet is a good thing. Plus, I was going to try to edit the map itself (adding to the work he mentioned :) ) with the data. But Risk and Fortress America don't have too many pieces...

Spiderman

Administrator
Staff member
Yeah, this wouldn't start until the current game is finished. I just wanted to get a jump-start on the prelim stuff...

Mooseman

Isengar Tussle
I was using Monopoly as an example.... Is there any other games that are appealing to everyone that could be posted like the Monopoly example. It also doesn't need someone to run it and not play.

Although, If enough people want to play monopoly, I'd be up for it.

B

BigBlue

Talisman would be fun...

I'm sure we can find some stuff online... the google docs spreadsheet would work well to show where people are on the map, it's essentially a loop w/ access to a second loop (or others if we do the expansions...)

I'll have to do some typing, I don't see anything online at this point, but it'd be fun to have set up for the future anyways...

It may take me a bit (Januaryish) to set up, so if you guys want to do something else in the meantime... feel free.

B

BigBlue

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Talisman_(board_game)

I have the Second Edition and at least one expansion - possibly two... I also have the 3rd Edition w/ no expansions (from the reissue several years ago...)

I don't think I'll bother w/ the 4th edition... though I'm really glad to see someone picked up the rights to it.

I may simply make up my own board and borrow from the cards... the one really big problem with the game is there are several typos and incorrect things in the cards which don't make any sense - mostly due to the different editions and editors not catching changes globally...

I see that article doesn't really describe game play...

Each player gets a random character to play (Usually a race or class vis-a-vis basic D&D like Amazon, Barbarian, Elf, Warrior, Cleric, Wizard etc).

The board consists of 3 regions - shaped as concentric ovals w/ usually a single connection between them. Expansions may live off to the side of the board and added new characters and cards.

Characters have a starting score for 2 attributes - Strength and Craft. They also begin w/ 4 life points (which is the maximum they can have). Also, each character has different abilities, some are more useful than others.

Characters are placed on the board in their home square (only used for starting point). After play order is determined (randomly), the first player rolls a die. They then choose which direction on the board to move (right or left). At their new destination, if there is another player on the square they may attack them if they want. Otherwise, they follow the instructions on the square. Most squares have you draw for random "adventures". Some have specific effects instead. If you cross a square which has the ability to change regions, you may change regions and continue your move (if the region allows).

Combat against adventure creatures gains you experience - when you achieve a level you increase either craft or strength.

Some cards and characters gain spells - spells are random cards with different effects.

Some cards are items - which have various effects.

Some cards are followers - which have various effects.

There are definately some broken cards which spoil the game, but I'd remove 'em to make it more sporting... (there's one spell which in essence wins the game).

Spiderman

Administrator
Staff member
Sounds interesting.

We actually seem to have a "lot" of interest in Monopoly already though, so maybe we'll go with that to start with... we can always do one of the other games after or during if people feel up to it.

D

DarthFerret

Count me in. Looks like some of my time may be freeing up quite a bit.

Spiderman

Administrator
Staff member
Well dang, that even brought some people who don't normally play :) I'll try to get stuff started up on Monday.

So are people just going to roll and move themselves or should there be a "roll-tracker" or someone neutral rolling? I guess the first would work best since it won't depend on a third party and we all trust each other from the Magic games and whatnot... :)

Mooseman

Isengar Tussle
Everyone just sign up for the game you would play.

Monopoly:
Mooseman

Talisman:
Mooseman

Risk:

Other War game: