Yankees or Mets

N

nodnarb24

Who do you think is going to win.

My vote is for Yankees even though I don't watch baseball.

A

Apollo

My bet's on all the other baseball players storming the owner's box in Yankee Stadium and bashing George Steinbrenner's head in with baseball bats, then instituting a salary cap effective immediately. Then, after the other players get out, they will flood the stadium with poisonous gas, thus killing all of the evil Squawk Squawk Yankee fans and starting a golden age in baseball. This is the only way somebody that doesn't live in that god-forsaken city would actually watch the World Series (ironic name, considering the only teams that can possibly get in are from the same state).

Granted, there are problems with my plan. For instance, the Mets fans would survive. But I think with a little work, we could work it out, perhaps by stuffing them all into boxes until they repent their evil ways. Or, we could ship them all to Canada to become hockey fans.

But I'm not bitter. Not at all.:)

Apollo

D

dw51688

No yankee's! No mets! RED SOX! Well if I were to choose between them I would say he mets. It is because we Bostonians like Jaws and I take pride in the red sox and we hate our closest competitors: THE YANKEES! So we hate them the most.

Killer Joe

Mets will win it in 7 games.
The Yankees had the worst win/loss record going into the playoffs, they're old and are in their September years, as a team.
The Mets, however, are young and have the best pitching staff and as a plus, most of their pitchers are left handed, and THAT, my friends, will be the down fall of the those Damn Yankees!

This, comming from a guy who thought Homelands would 'Rock'!

M

Mikeymike

Yellowjacket makes a lot of good points. The key really is the Mets consistency from the last week of the season all the way through the playoffs (14-3). Bullpen is extremely strong w/ 4 very solid relievers, starting pitching has been excellent, and they even have been hitting well (31 runs in 5 games vs. the Cards).

The Yankees on the other hand have not been consistent at all and neither of their series wins were convincing. Plus, their hitting has a tendency to be very spotty, having big innings and hitting quietly for the greater majority of the game. Big innings against the Mets are difficult b/c of that great bullpen. Plus, they are getting up there in years as a team, there reign at the top of the hill is going to end sooner than later.

However, the Yankees are still the same team that won 3 of the 4 previous World Series, they are a talented and professional team, and they know what it takes to win. Last year it looked like the Braves were the stronger team going into the series but they ended up getting swept (but then again the Braves are just a sad, sad bunch :p ).

This all comes from a DIE-HARD METS fan who lives 45 mins from both stadiums but can't afford the $1,000 the upperdeck tickets are selling for. This is the Mets year to win, and who better fitting to end the Yankees run of excellence. And if anyone tells you the atmosphere of the fans in the stadiums aren't going to mean anything to the outcome of the series, tell them they're full of crap. The intensity at this series will be unbelievable. So much so that it makes this series too difficult to accurately predict the outcome. People will fight, yell, swear, steal, you name it. Its going to be nuts and I can't freaking wait.

Favority Met ever -- Keith Hernandez

LET'S GO METS!

PS --If any Yankee fans want to talk smack about the series, let me know and I'll meet you in the Off-Topic section ;)

A

Apollo

Nah, Mikey. I'm an Indians fan. Be sorry anyway:)

Boy are we gonna stink next year. No Manny, no Kenny, no Segui, ouch.

G

Gerode

The Yankess won't have Arthur Rhodes to serve them up 2 wins like in the ALCS series.
(Frustrated rant about David Justice and stupid Mariner mistakes edited due to innapropriate content.)
(Prepare for my innapropriate rants to be posted if A-Rod leaves.)

M

Mikeymike

Geez, I didn't realize Lofton was leaving too. If its any sort of consolation, I was routing for the Indians to make it in as the wild card over the A's. They are a fun team to watch, and with that line-up you could never count them out of any game.

Gerode, I have a feeling A-Rod is going to re-sign with the M's. This 2000 team was his team and they proved they could win w/o Jr. As much as I love to watch Junior Griffey play, Jr. never got them 12 innings away from the World Series. Granted, I don't get to read the Seattle Sports pages, but I've never heard him bad mouth the city. The Mariners are an up and coming ball club, I can't understand why he would want to leave.

If he does, I'll put money on it that he ends up with the Braves, the best team in baseball history incapable of winning. Mets won't be able to sign him, all their free money is going to have to go to Hampton. Of course I wouldn't mind seeing him or Manny make their way to NY :D.

V

Volradon

I'm just gettign tired of yankees, especially after they beat atlanta last year. So i will go with mets not that i like either team.

G

Gerode

I believe A-Rod said last season that he would re-sign if the Mariners made it to the World Series. Keeping true to his statement last offseason, he has not discussed his free agency with anyone as far as I can recall. I haven't heard a word of neagtive press about A-Rod since he joined the team. Coming so close, I also cannot see him leaving the Mariners this year, coming this close. Of course, coach Lou Pinella is also a free agent. I don't know A-Rod's relations with Lou, but one of them leaving may trigger the other to also leave.

Everyone in Seattle is looking at how well Griffey's Reds did this season :)

A

Apollo

Mikey: Lofton has an option year left on his contract, but he's making $9 million. The Indians brass probably wouldn't give $9 million to a .320 hitter, much less a .280 or so hitter. So he's going to be gone, trust me.

As for Manny, there's no way the Indians are going to resign him, so you just might see him there in NY. Although, I just saw Paul O'Neil completely botch a fly ball, and he's had a fairly bad year, so I'd say it's most likely Manny plays for the Yankees. Not to mention Steinbrenner has all the dough, Manny's favorite team was always the Yanks, and he hits great in Yankee Stadium. So that's my bet. My favorite player on my least favorite team.:rolleyes:

Anyway, at least you were rooting for the Tribe, so I guess it makes up somewhat for you being a New York fan, and you're not total scum.:) J/K, of course.

T

Thrash Golem

i dont care who wins world series, all i care is yaay! jays signed delgado back ($104 million 4 year contract) and carlos won AL mvp!!!

V

Volradon

OMG, that was a INTENSE 2nd game. I mean the mets scored 5 RUNS in THE 9TH INING. OMG. I THOUGH THEY WORE GONA WIN THERE FOR A SECOND. @$#% $#!#$ $#%@

BTW, the series is 2-0 yanks for those of u who dont watch it.

TomB

Administrator
Staff member
And as far as the Series goes, I'm a ChiSox fan, so I am militantly indifferent as to which damn N.Y. team wins it this year! :p

H

Hawaiian mage

All I'm going to say is that Ken Griffy jr. sucks! He WAS on our team. But then he goes to some other team!

We would have won the playoffs if he wasn't such a freakin **** ****** ********** ****** ** *********...