With the addition of Relentless Rats, does there need to be a Rat King?

Should WoTC print a Rat King?

• Yes! WoTC should print a Rat King!

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • No, there's no need for a Rat King

• Don't Care

• Total voters
R

Reverend Love

With the addition of the awe inspiring Relentless Rats does WoTC need to give us a rat king..so that we may gnaw people to death proper?

Spiderman

Administrator
Staff member
I don't think there's enough variety among the rats to inspire a king yet, but it's a possibility for the future...

N

Nightstalkers

Originally posted by Spiderman
I don't think there's enough variety among the rats to inspire a king yet, but it's a possibility for the future...
Swarm of Rats comes to mind when thinking of a rat king... but thats just us.

Here's a deck I've dug out of my old listings that was aptly named the Pied Piper:

4x Bog Rats
4x Diseased Vermin
4x Crypt Rats
4x Pestilence Rats
4x Lab Rats
4x Rabid Rats
4x Plague Rats
4x Razortooth Rats
4x Rats of Rath
4x Sewer Rats

4x Disturbed Burial
4x Drain Life
4x Dark Ritual
4x Bad Moon
2x Mortuary
2x Darkness

1x Black Mana Battery
1x Feldon's Cane
2x Memory Crystal
4x Coat of Arms

Xx Swamp

I have no idea who made this, its just an old corrupt decklist in the computer database. I do, however, think that if there is a viable deck to be made, then allow them to make a rat king.... Nevermind, its just Mr. Swarm of Rats!!!

N

Notepad

A rat king does need to be made, with so many different rats out in the game. The problem is they all tend to be isolated in pockets, and like the new rats in Fifth Dawn, they are rather exclusive. So, the new lord for rats would need to unite them in a way satisfactory to all rats.

Something along the lines of a Coat of Arms effect for rats is needed, if only on offense. It is the only thing that would make it and a variety of rats worthwhile.

The Rat King
2BBB
Creature--Zombie Lord
Each rat gets +X/+0, where X is equal to the number of other rats in play.
Rats cannot attack you.
BBB, Tap: Gain control of target rat. (This effect does not end at end of turn.)
3/3

Yeah, this would seem about right. Also a nice hoser against rats, as ironic as that is. :rolleyes: :D :rolleyes:

C

chocobo_cid

With that, all ya need is an unnatural selection.;)

Just like Empress Galina.

N

Notepad

Unlike the Empress, this dream rat king is a different color than Selection, and it requires a heavy dedication to black mana. :D

M

mythosx

i still think its kind of silly. It's the whole squirrel thing all over again. I know I am going to offend some one by this but squirrels are waaaaaay to strong. Deranged hermit was ludicrious and is even more so now with slide.

M

mythosx

I have lost way too many times with slivers to squirrels. HOW DOES THAT WORK? I FEEL LIKE I'M TAKING CRAZY PILLS HERE!

Spiderman

Administrator
Staff member
I don't think the Rat King should get a pump up ability right now unless it's similiar to other Kings/Lords that give their subjects +1/+1 because of other rats pump up ability and old cards that give trample. I do like the ability to steal a rat though, so maybe another ability can turn a creature into a rat....

C

chocobo_cid

I think they have a card like that already. (unnatural selection) :D

C

chocobo_cid

Of course, to directly adress the topic, with relentless rats, there is no need for a rat king. A rat king would almost always just slow this deck down, unless it were like the original lords and grant flying or something.

R

Reverend Love

Give all rats the ability to give poison counters when unblocked :D

Or how about a pestilence hitting only players limited to the amount of rats in play.

5 Rats in play King Rat can only Pestilence players for 0-5

N

Notepad

They made that as a goblin already, and its ruining the tournament environment only less so than Ravager Affinity. I know you love your Pestilence, but making a rat version is silly.

As for pump, it seems the only way to make using a lord worthwhile. As they are, the Relentless Rats coming out will make use of any other rat pointless, since they only water down their power. Chittering and Ravenous's abilities aside, all other rats are totally pointless. Therefore, a lord of "tribal uniter" card would need to make using any old rat card worth it. Only way to do that is with something along the lines of Coat of Arms. That's why I put the pump ability on, and had such a huge cost for a 3/3.

Any other ability, and you should just use Relentless Rats. "Oh, this lord gives Rats fear. Um, not gonna scrap those four Relentless Rats to pop in four Plague Rats." See what I mean about the importance of the Coat-like pump? Plus, the Coat-like pump is really, really in favor with rats historically--Plague Rats, Pestilence Rats, Swarm of Rats, and now Relentless Rats.

Spiderman

Administrator
Staff member
I see what you're saying, but I don't think anyone's still going to use any other rats when they can use Relentless Rats in conjunction with the King to give all Rats essentially +X times 2/+0 for all Rats. Giving a flat +1/+1, or even turning it around to do +0/+X times Rats in play might make more sense...

C

chocobo_cid

Give all rats Spirit Link, or "when any rat leaves play, you may search for a card with the same name and put it into your hand."

That would be useful, especially if you land a wrath of god.

T

train

I think...

"Rats cannot be blocked by walls.
When a rat goes to the graveyard from play, target creature gets -1/-1 until end of turn."

Sounds cool to me... and reasonable...

:D