Rich Kids On LSD
Dead Kennedys
Swingin Utters
Suicidal Tendencies
H2O
Hot Water Music
Skatalites
Sublime "Old drunken house party days"

Oh yeah, I like Ted Nugent and the Beastie Boys too.

E

el_terror

Hard Stuff:
Rage Against The Machine (Please Back!!!!)
Korn
Limp Bizkit
Marilyn Manson
Papa Roach
Sepultura
Rob Zombie
Metallica
Sistem Of down
Cypress Hill
and stuff like dat.

Other stuff:
Dream Teather
Perfect Circle
Tool
Pink Floyd
Jazz and Clasic
The Doors
Janis Joplin
Led Zeppeling
Skatalites
Scoflows
Madness
Sex pistol
Gorilaz

In spanish Stuff:
Desorden Público
Manu Chau
Fabulosos Cadilacs
Soda Stereo
La union
Heroes del Silencio
Cady 66
El Gran Silencio
And, of course, the 70's Salsa.

B

Bob

Music is very important to me, so I keep having to update my list:

I like Alt-rock and Rock. Jazz and Blues are pretty good too. Metal is pretty cool also.

Top 5 Alt-Rock Bands, IMO:
1. (The) Smashing Pumpkins
2. REM
3. Nirvana
4. Pearl Jam
5. Soundgarden

Top 5 Punk bands:
1. The Ramones
2. NOFX
3. Operation Ivy
4. Green Day
5. The Offspring

Oh yeah, I totally hate all of those people who listen to trash like Avril Lavinge and call themselves punk. My 11 year old cousin, who likes avril lavinge (shudder) was shocked when she heard Operation Ivy.
When I went to see Zwan, I was annoyed by the NFG and Good Charlotte fans.

And I also love stuff like Pink Floyd, Led Zeppelin, and The Who. The Beatles are pretty cool too.

I'm not too big on metal, because of how much crap is coming out. Metallica and metal songs by the Pumpkins are great, and I like SOAD, and Korn and Disturbed are ok, but asome stuff like, Linkin Park and Slipknot is just a stupid fad.

"Pop Trends" are evil and should die. Period. Basically anything that corporations and MTV says "THIS IS KOOL! GO BYE IT NOW!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!" is sick and should be destroyed.

Arhar is right about Papa Roach, they are fake. Fake is bad. Die fake die.

Honorable Mentions to Old Weezer. New Weezer is crappy. (Compared to old Weezer) and to Old Blink 182. (New Blink is fake. Punk sellouts are one of the worst breeds of music, seeing how punk is against sellouts)

Oh, and RIP Joe Strummer. The Clash was cool.

N

Nightstalkers

anything that I can get my hands on I'll try once. (I expessially like that mind scrambling music kults use.)

D

Darkstar

Haha... another one of those posts that enflames controversy and bickering... hehe... begin instigating

I listen to most anything.... ska and punk mostly... but everynow and then i enjoy a lil classic stuff... oh ya and rap isnt really music... (talking fast isnt a talent... if it was... then auctioneers would be millionaires!) (I do gives props to old skool artists tho... some of their material is ok... but thats all)

Ferret

Staff member
Darkwave, Goth, Light Industrial, some old New Wave...weird stuff like that...

-Ferret

"...even some rap if the mood hits..."

B

Bob

...rap? *vomits uncontrollably*

I've become a Rock snob. Even though there are many bands i love, there are also many bands that make me vomit uncontrollably.

There aren't many bands I've heard so bad musically that I hate them, but many bands are sell outs or media tools.

All of that fake pop stuff and rap is BAD, first off, (although old rap is funny). Also, bands that say "OH, LUK AT ME!!!!!!!!!!!11 IM A HARCOR PONK RAWK SK8RZ!!!!!111 AND I KANT SPEL!"
*more uncontrollable vomiting*
Those idiots don't have any idea what punk is.

Also, metal can be great, but some nu metal bands are trash. In fact, most are. SOAD is pretty good, Disturbed is ok, and Queens of the Stone Age rock, but stuff like Slipknot is trash.

Oh, and Linkin Park is worthless trash that deserves to die.

I'm a fan of Alt-Rock and Rock, though many other types of music, especially REAL punk, are good. I like blues and jazz too, and classical is also pretty good.

Sorry if I offended anyone.

Yeah, i like to complain about how much music sucks.

N

nodnarb24

Various sub-genres of Metal (i.e. Black, Power, Progressive, Doom, etc), Punk, Industrial, and Techno.

D

Darkstar

Im sorry... but I have to defend some emo kids out there...

I dont nesicarily like emo... more of the nofx/afi/bad religion type... but emo is punk... and even if green day sells out and offspring... well are offspring, they do play a part in the punk scene. Billie Joe started adeline records and helps fund warped tour... and Noodles (correct if wrong) founded nitro records... without nitro we may not be hearing quality music from Davey Havok or classic artists such as the Damned...

So cheer up emo kids... there is a reason to live... to start out on emo... go pop some valuums and listen to fat mike defend hard drug use or Danzig talk about the joys of satanism and the benefits of watching horror movies...

Ferret

Staff member
Alternative...when I think of that term I think of the underground bands of the 80's - not all of this crap that gets played 20 times a day on the radio.

Alternative used to mean music that refused to follow what the corporations want you to listen to. Now, it's a euphamism for what all the big-corporate-producers demand you go out and spend your hard-earned cash on. And, most of the time the music is utter crap. It all sounds the same. All of the band members look the same. It's simply what happened when the big music corporations ran out of styles of music to exploit.

Alternative is a term that should be restricted to music you only hear on local public radio and college stations. If a radio station is owned by a parent company that also owns a local Tv station then they are NOT playing alternative music. Any band that has ever had a video played on MTv (even at 3 in the morning!) is NOT alternative. They're all sell-outs. Accept it.

-Ferret

"...I miss Depeche Mode when I was one of five people at my school that had a clue who they were..."

D

Darkstar

Nice to see you on the boards ferret... been awhile hasnt it? Anyhoo, when you have a band that either sells out or is on the verge of selling out... theres always controversy. Take for instance operation ivy. Extrordinary punk/ska band from the late 80s. Their lead singer left afraid of selling out because they were headed down the road we saw paved by nirvana... ugly as it was, I still consider nirvana to be a great band that helped shape the scene in their early days. Anyhoo, op ivy later evolved into rancid, another great band. Now Ive seen rancid on mtv before, but when they do press, which is rare (i believe vhi interviewed tim on a behind the music thing for green day) they totally condone what mtv did. They weasled their way into getting the time bomb and other videos and played with consent from the record label (epitaph). Without the bands consent. This created alot of noise in the punk/coorporate community, and since then youve seen alot of crappy punk intimidators on mtv and whatnot (my favs are blink and avril, posers!). Although i do agree with ferret too. You cant sell out if you dont push yourself into the coorporate jungle. I know Iam in a band currently, and were still indecisive on letting a local music shop have our demos to make a cd for the radio station... we enjoy just playing local gigs and getting ppl into the scene so it can prosper once again. So it suits me fine not being heard on the radio or tv or whatever, besides, music is about fun in my opinion. If ppl can relate to some of the stuff we write or play, then great. But seeing it exploited (yes pun intended, and kudos if you know of the exploited) on mags and t shirts doesnt really cream my twinkee. If ppl need that kinda stuff to look kewl or feel better about themselves (the artist, if u wanna call em that) then they are sad and pathetic... controlled by fame and fortune. Ah... enough rambling... head hurts... need advil...

Also Ferret, if the meat puppets were assistin in the unplugged nirvana and televised, then are they considered to be selling out. I mean Ive never seen really any meat puppets propaganda out there... I think they are innocent, just helpin kurt with a favor he asked no?

Again, good to see u back Ferret, hope you can stay with the CPA for a lil while!

A

Apollo

I started out emo and am moving more towards, uh, harder stuff of late. So as Darkstar said, there is a use for emo, it gets people like me into things. If Sum41 and Green Day hadn't gotten played on Mtv, I never would've found better stuff (you wanna suggest anything in particular, Darkstar? I'm basically trying stuff on word-of-mouth right now).

Anyway, right now I like the Dropkick Murphys, NOFX, Less Than Jake, Guttermouth, Dwarves, Operation Ivy... though my exposure to some of those has been slim, I've liked what I've heard. And I still enjoy some emo... whatever's handy.

D

Darkstar

Apollo... anything to help out a fellow punker... I would suggest going to www.interpunk.com they have a wide selection of bands to look into... with lots of mp3s to download and what not to see if you like what your interested in. Also a few of my favs are listed below...

Anti Flag (hardcore political punk... very catchy... if your looking to get into this band, I would suggest buying the mobilize cd, also comes with a sample cd from af records)

Bad Religion (old skool... buy all ages and youll fall in love with)

AFI (also been around a while... pending on how hard your wanting to get... the older stuff reminds me of guttermouth or nofx... the newer stuff is darker and kinda gothish... but with a punk twist... i like both... Shut your mouth and open your eyes is a good median cd of both qualities to get)

Dead Kennedys (old skool... very good)
Black Flag (same)
Heckle (da bomb)
Minor Threat/ Fugazi (same front man... same straight edge message... all though I consider minor threat to be better... fugazi has an alternative sound to it)

Pennywise (if u like nofx, dropkick etc... ull like)
RKL (rich kids on lsd... if u can find a cd or mp3 somewhere... get it... their not that big but are awesome! One of my favs)

Newer stuff thats kewl...
Distillers
Nerve Agents
Tiger Army
Ensign
Virus 9

There is plenty more... ive got like 8000 songs on my winamp... from over 200 artists... but like I said... go to interpunk... listen to what u are curious about and see about buying or downloading from them... also buying compilation cds is a good idea... they offer lots of different bands material... good way to distinguish if u like any of em. Well good luck... perhaps if u need any help I can send u a data cd with a lil bit of everything on it (heh... and ill put my band on it too... hehe) Good luck...

Oh ya... and if u liked op ivy for their ska stuff... check out rancid... or if u liked em for their punk stuff (knowledge, the crowd, missionary... a few others) then check out adolescents or the decendants... very good old skool bands.

B

Bob

Originally posted by Ferret
Alternative...when I think of that term I think of the underground bands of the 80's - not all of this crap that gets played 20 times a day on the radio.

Alternative used to mean music that refused to follow what the corporations want you to listen to. Now, it's a euphamism for what all the big-corporate-producers demand you go out and spend your hard-earned cash on. And, most of the time the music is utter crap. It all sounds the same. All of the band members look the same. It's simply what happened when the big music corporations ran out of styles of music to exploit.

Alternative is a term that should be restricted to music you only hear on local public radio and college stations. If a radio station is owned by a parent company that also owns a local Tv station then they are NOT playing alternative music. Any band that has ever had a video played on MTv (even at 3 in the morning!) is NOT alternative. They're all sell-outs. Accept it.

-Ferret

"...I miss Depeche Mode when I was one of five people at my school that had a clue who they were..."
So, what you're saying is, "Hey Bob, all the bands you think are good and not sellouts SUCK and they are sellouts. HAHA! You and your musical tastes suck! I say this even though I listen to rap! HAHAHA!"

:mad:

B

Bob

I really shouldn't have posted something as angry as I did before. I was in a really bad mood.

I understand what Ferret is trying to say, but he's not 100% correct. Though there are lots of sellout corporate oink bands that claim to be alternative or punk, but are really just media tools, there are good alternative rock bands that are on the radio and are well known.

Nirvana was banned from MTV and Kurt Cobain would rather die than become a sellout. (and indeed he did)

Pearl Jam boycotts MTV. (Well, Eddie Vedder boycotts everything, but still.)

The Smashing Pumpkins didn't want their videos on MTV.

and I'm not sure about REM, but I'm pretty sure hippies like them wouldn't want to be corporate tools.

Of course bands like NOFX and Operation Ivy aren't sellouts, but trash like Blink 182 is.

Well, thats Underground or Indie Rock, small bands who are usually unknown and have tiny, independant record companies.

Alternative is a broad category that includes Indie Rock and Big-name Alternative Rock bands. (and corporate sellout bands don't count as alternative. Those are pop. ick.)

Not all big-name bands are sell outs. Accept it.

D

Darkstar

hmm... op ivy never sold out never had the chance.... nofx? where does nofx come in the picture? I know ive seen stickin in my eye on mtv... but uh... nevermind. The pumpkins SOLD OUT... if u call it selling out... they invented their own genre so to speak by transgressing from the alternative scene... so u call the shots. Nirvana wasnt banned... to my knowledge... why would they have made unplugged before his death? And so much coverage today... Maybe C.Love had something to do with that. And all in all... no one really knows what selling out is or is about unless u have or live the scene. Nuff said

D

Darkstar

two bands that havent sold out and will not sell out ever? Shisky and Sheltered Reality... why? Cuz I formed the bands and Ill be darned if they do! Ha...

B

Bob

By "sell out" I mean becoming some media tool.

Billy Corgan would have never let the Pumpkins become a media tool.

Mtv refused to play smells like Teen Spirit when it first came out.

and nofx-I consider punk a type of alt-rock. I hope you dont take that as an insult. I love punk. NOFX and Op. Iv are great.