VP Debate

Will the Vice Presidential Debate affect your Vote?

• Yes

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • No

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
B

BigBlue

Will it affect your presidential vote one way or the other?

I think not for most people... I'm still not 100% decided on my vote, I think there are problems with both candidates... but, does the choice of VP matter enough to swing a vote?

I guess for McCain it does, since he's picked a wildcard... but, is Biden going to win or lose votes for Obama?

I guess I feel Palin will likely make some missteps tonight, having seen her she simply doesn't have the knowledge base Joe Biden does on national events and seems wrapped up in states rights. I don't know that she'll lose or win any votes either...

So, will the VP debate swing your vote one way or the other?

Mooseman

Isengar Tussle
If anyone at this point changes their vote based on a the VP debate, they are idiots......
If you haven't decided, then it might influence you, but it shouldn't be that big.

D

DarthFerret

I have to disagree slightly here. I think that this election is going to be much different logistically than any other election we have experienced thus far. Generally speaking, the V.P. Debate has little or no impact on anyone's voting decision. However, no matter which polls you look at, the numbers are up and down all over the place. The only real indication one can ascertain from this is that there are a lot of swing votes out there. With Iifle and her conflict of interest, and with Palin and Biden getting more press coverage this election round than any other I can think of, this may be more of a deciding factor for some. (I already know which way I am going, and you guys prolly know how I will vote anyway).

And just cause I have to do this......

The Dan Quayle thing is actually a mis-representation by the media of what really happened. Quayle was at an elementary school (I forget where) and was helping to administer a spelling bee contest of some sort. The word being spelled was supposed to be "potatoes". The girl spelled potato and he promted her with an "e". Thus the infamous potatoe fiasco. However, I do see the humor in it, as well as the humor of Obama's 57 states!

Oversoul

The Tentacled One
DarthFerret said:
The Dan Quayle thing is actually a mis-representation by the media of what really happened. Quayle was at an elementary school (I forget where) and was helping to administer a spelling bee contest of some sort. The word being spelled was supposed to be "potatoes". The girl spelled potato and he promted her with an "e". Thus the infamous potatoe fiasco. However, I do see the humor in it, as well as the humor of Obama's 57 states!
Do you have a source for this? I have to leave for work right now, so I'll have to look into it later. But I seem to remember reading that Quayle gave a different excuse. Something about the answer sheet for the spelling bee having the wrong spelling and him going off the answer sheet...

Also, it was boy, not a girl...

Mooseman

Isengar Tussle
Are you sure about the Quayle thing? I've never heard of the potatoes part of it, I don't think it's that way in his own memoir book of 1994.

Figueroa knew how to spell potato, and he wrote it in a legible script on the blackboard when Quayle announced his word for the spelling bee.
Quayle looked at the blackboard, then at his contest card, and gently and quietly told the boy, "You’re close, but you left a little something off. The e on the end.
"So William, against his better judgment and trying to be polite, added an e’’ and won applause for it from those assembled in the classroom, including Mayor Doug Palmer, Quayle wrote.

R

rokapoke

The most ridiculous thing, from my perspective, about the idea of a nation making fun of Dan Quayle for misspelling a word (which is rather amusing), is that on message boards across the internet you find "words" such as definately. Everywhere. The average citizen doesn't spell all that well, yet one slip-up in the spotlight leaves you the butt of jokes for more than a decade...

B

BigBlue

Oh, I only brought it up since he called him quail... I don't mock him for the potato thing... He, like almost every VP, served his role more than adequately.

Oversoul

The Tentacled One
BigBlue said:
Oh, I only brought it up since he called him quail... I don't mock him for the potato thing... He, like almost every VP, served his role more than adequately.
Almost, huh? Which exceptions did you have in mind? Spiro Agnew, perhaps?

D

DarthFerret

Well, in a bit of a surprise, even the Democrats were toting Sarah Palin's performance. It will be interesting to see what comes of this tommorrow in all the news stories.

Killer Joe

Palin did okay last night, imo. She did, however, pull the "folksy" routine while Biden played the "polished politician".

Her advantage is still her being a woman and a kind of pretty one at that. If I had to call a winner it'd be her because she had more to overcome than Biden.

He, like Obama, failed to really make McCain look like a Bush-wannabe or Bush part III.

As for the Quayle thing, he was a moron before the potato incident. But I just liked Bush too much not to vote for him. This election may be the same case. :rolleyes:

Mooseman

Isengar Tussle
Palin came across as a non-polished non-hardened politician, unlike JB, who seemed to be a bit too used to this kind of thing.
Both of them kept spouting misleading "truths" about the other or their running mates. ugh.

B

BigBlue

Imho... Biden won. The bar for Palin was set low, and she exceded that bar without major gaffes during the debate (other than some incorrect info). But, Biden still came off as a much more capable VP. Especially the part about the role of the VP. Palin seems to want to live large and overstep boundaries like Cheney, while Biden understands what the role is and isn't trying to make the VP into President-lite/legislator...

I'm glad for Palin she didn't break down at all, but with the short answer format that was expected to help her avoid the sort of mistakes of the CBS interview.

OS - my point was most VPs do exactly what they are supposed to, break a tie in the Senate once in a while... As far as specific examples where I feel a VP could have done more... Mondale should have helped/advised Carter better - to help avoid the failed rescue for example when the military said it'd be risky... Bush Sr. should have done the same w/ Reagan w/ respect to Iran/Contra to keep him out of the controversy (which was magically washed away, but could have been shared more w/ Bush... though I guess that could have sacrificed his single term presidency against Dukakis). And Cheney has been ridiculous as a VP, turning the office into something unconstitutional by bullying the Justice Department to give him favorable opinions.

Melkor

And lets none of us forget Schuyler Colfax and how he ended up.

As for the debate, it was an odd situation, I think Biden "won" the debate in absolute terms but Palin gained more out of it. Overall, it didn't matter that much and the only way it would have mattered is if Palin had somehow managed to set her lecturn on fire. Probably would have had to replace her at that point.

Killer Joe

DUDE! You really needed to *warn* the reader not to be drinking coffee when the link opens! :p

That is so funny,...... :D

....anyone got a towel? :eek:

Killer Joe

I heard that Sarah Palin got 'phone pranked' by two disc jockeys from Monteal. They got through her staff saying that one of them was the President of France and wanted to wish her luck.

Anyone else hear about this?