My old UBR Control deck just got a little meaner

Killer Joe

I've had this thing together for quite some time but it always had 2 copies of Nether Spirit and 4 full copies of most of the spells. This deck has never seen lots of game play and I usually save it for the end of the night of gaming. No one really appreciates it and it does particularly well in "team-play". Well, recently I've had an encounter with ca$hola and done bought myself some....stuff*.

Here's my new and meaner list:

UBR Control

Lands
1 Darkwater Catacombs
9 Island
1 Plateau
1 Reflecting Pool
1 Scrubland
1 Shadowblood Ridge
1 Shivan Reef
1 Sulfurous Springs
1 Tundra
2 Underground River
1 Volcanic Island

Creatures
4 Shadowmage Infiltrator*

Spells
4 Chrome Mox*
4 Counterspell
2 Crosis's Charm
3 Cunning Wish
3 fact or Fiction
3 Fire // Ice
4 Isochron Scepter
2 Jilt
1 Mystic Tutor
1 Orim's Chant*
2 Recoil
3 Terminate
4 Undermine
1 Vampiric Tutor*

SB://
Scepter Fodder
Boomerang
Brain Freeze
Fire // Ice
Hero's Reunion
Orim's Chant*
Shattering Pulse
Tangle
Terminate
Twincast*

Other Spells
Fact or Fiction
Foil
Rebuild
Reins of Power
Tsabo's Decree
Volcanic Geyser

And before you ask, NO! this deck is not for sanctioned play and does not follow any kind of format and/or B & R list. It's just a mean casual deck for small multiplayer games (3 - 5 players) or two-on-two team play.

Some parts of the deck and the sideboard are similar to extended's Scepter-Tog like Isochron Scepter, Orim's Chant, Chrome Mox and Counterspell. The rest partially resembles my former Spirit-Go deck.

I just built this tonight and am interested in your constructive opinions ;)

L

Limited

Constructive opinion: none present

Honest opinion: This, to you, is a casual deck? Maybe I'm spoiled by the low amount of really competitive decks in our playgroup, but I would think this deck contains to many 'power' cards (term used loosely)..

4 out of 5 on my EEW! scale.

Oversoul

The Tentacled One
Limited said:
Constructive opinion: none present

Honest opinion: This, to you, is a casual deck? Maybe I'm spoiled by the low amount of really competitive decks in our playgroup, but I would think this deck contains to many 'power' cards (term used loosely)..

4 out of 5 on my EEW! scale.
Looking through the decklist, I don't see any cards banned in Legacy except for the Vampiric Tutor. But this thing would probably get beaten by even a third tier tournament deck (I am not sure about this). It looks pretty casual to me.

Which cards in it make it seem overpowered to you? It looks loosely similar to something I might build for casual play--Killer Joe's style is not exactly the same as mine and I have mostly only older cards, so I would probably have a weaker mana base, very few cards newer than Prophecy, and more broken cards.

L

Limited

To me, the following cards are a little bit beyond my idea of casual.. but this is of course entirely dependant on your playgroup. I get playing with these cards, I would just never put them all together in one deck

Killer Joe said:
Creatures
4 Shadowmage Infiltrator*
4 Chrome Mox*
3 Cunning Wish
3 fact or Fiction
4 Isochron Scepter
1 Orim's Chant*
4 Undermine
1 Vampiric Tutor*
Twincast*
And I think I'm just kinda allergic to any deck that can imprint a counterspell on a Scepter on turn one :rolleyes:

Killer Joe

1.) This deck was never meant to see the light of day in a tournament. It's a deck specifically for small multiplayer chaos games (3 - 5 players) and/or two-on-two team play.

2.) It didn't work anyway, not enough,....um, how do you say,......"UMPH" to it! :(

Gone are the Scepters, Chants, tutors, wishes and twincasts.

It sorta looks like this now:
4 Nightscape Familiar
3 FTK
3 Shadowmage Infiltrator
4 Terminate
4 Fire // Ice
4 Counterspell
4 Undermine
2 Suffocating Blast
2 Ghitu Fire
2 Crosis's Charm
4 Chrome Mox (Hey! At $75 for all four I'm gonna use 'em!)
3 Recoil
2 Fact or Fiction

Lands are pretty much the same.

Boy, when I had the Nether Spirits in here I never thought about the Nightscape Familiars, didn't HAVE to because of how the Nether Spirits worked. But then this afternoon I started thinking, "Man, 20 lands are mighty low on the mana count and that's WITH the moxes in the deck list. If I could only make my spells cheaper...hmm"

Nightscape Familiar

Bud-a-BING! :D

Killer Joe

3 Bloodstained Mire
1 Crosis's Catacombs
9 Island
4 Mountain
1 Reflecting Pool
4 Swamp

2 Blazing Specter (I got these last night as 'fodder-throw-ins" but I thought they might work in this deck)
4 Flametongue Kavu (I took out the Shadowmage Infiltartors to make room for one more copy of these and the two Specters)
4 Nightscape Familiar (Makes things cheaper)

4 Chrome Mox
4 Counterspell (I am only carrying these and Undermines for countermagic, a little less than I'm comfortable with)
3 Fact or Fiction
4 Fire // Ice
2 Ghitu Fire
3 Recoil
4 Terminate
4 Undermine
1 Wheel of Foirtune (Unsure about this card but with the Mox's I find myself a little short on cards sometimes :rolleyes: )

I shifted a little more towards an aggressive deck but still left enough 'control' elements to suit my taste.