Magic 2012 Event Decks: Spidey (Vampire Onslaught) vs Oversoul (Illusionary Might)

Oversoul

The Tentacled One
Done.

Spiderman: 12
Poison: 0
Hand: 1
Library: 44
Battlefield:

(T,U,U,U,U,U,U,U,U,U) Swamp x10

(U) Blade of the Bloodchief (Whenever a creature is put into a graveyard from the battlefield, put a +1/+1 ctr on equipped creature. If equipped creature is a Vampire, put two +1/+1 ctrs on it instead.; Equip 1)

(U) Pawn of Ulamog (2/2; Whenever ~ or another nontoken creature that I control dies, I may put a 0/1 colorless Eldrazi token creature onto the battlefield. It has "Sac this creature: Add 1 to my mana pool)
(U) Eldrazi creature token (0/1; Sac ~: Add 1 to my mana pool)

Graveyard: Vampire Lacerator, Vampire Lacerator, Bloodthrone Vampire, Gatekeeper of Malakir
Exile:

====================================================================================================

Oversoul: 19
Hand: 3
Library: 40
Battlefield:

(T,U,U,U,U,U,U,U,U) Island x9
(T) Glimmerpost (T: C. When ~ etb, I gain 1 life for each locus on the battlefield.)

(U) Lord of the Unreal (3/3; Illusions I control get +1/+1 and hexproof.)
(U) Grand Architect (1/3; Other blue creatures I control get +1/+1. U: target artifact creature becomes blue ueot. Tap an untapped blue creature I control: Add 2 to my mana pool that can only be spent to cast artifact spells or activate artifact abilities.)
(T) Steel Hellkite (5/5; Flying. 2: ~ gets +1/+0 ueot. X: destroy each nonland permanent with converted mana cost X whose controller was dealt combat damage by ~ this turn.

Graveyard: Phantasmal Bear, Preordain, Porcelain Legionnaire, Preordain, Phantasmal Bear
Exile:

Spiderman

Administrator
Staff member
Untap, upkeep, Draw

Equip the Blade to the Pawn

Done

Spiderman: 12
Hand: 2
Library: 43
Battlefield:

(U) Blade of the Bloodchief (Whenever a creature is put into a graveyard from the battlefield, put a +1/+1 ctr on equipped creature. If equipped creature is a Vampire, put two +1/+1 ctrs on it instead.; Equip 1)

(U) Pawn of Ulamog (2/2; Whenever ~ or another nontoken creature that I control dies, I may put a 0/1 colorless Eldrazi token creature onto the battlefield. It has "Sac this creature: Add 1 to my mana pool) *Equipped w/Blade*

Graveyard: Vampire Lacerator, Vampire Lacerator, Bloodthrone Vampire, Gatekeeper of Malakir
Exile:

====================================================================================================

Oversoul: 19
Library: 40
Battlefield:

(T,U,U,U,U,U,U,U,U) Island x9
(T) Glimmerpost (T: C. When ~ etb, I gain 1 life for each locus on the battlefield.)

(U) Lord of the Unreal (3/3; Illusions I control get +1/+1 and hexproof.)
(U) Grand Architect (1/3; Other blue creatures I control get +1/+1. U: target artifact creature becomes blue ueot. Tap an untapped blue creature I control: Add 2 to my mana pool that can only be spent to cast artifact spells or activate artifact abilities.)
(T) Steel Hellkite (5/5; Flying. 2: ~ gets +1/+0 ueot. X: destroy each nonland permanent with converted mana cost X whose controller was dealt combat damage by ~ this turn.

Graveyard: Phantasmal Bear, Preordain, Porcelain Legionnaire, Preordain, Phantasmal Bear
Exile:

Oversoul

The Tentacled One
Untap, upkeep, draw. Well, here goes...

Tap an Island for U and use it to activate Grand Architect's ability to make Steel Hellkite blue and that makes it a 6/6 due to Grand Architect), then activate Grand Architect's other ability tapping both itself and Lord of the Unreal for 4 mana. Tap my Glimmerpost and 7 Islands for 8 more mana. Use all 12 mana to pump Steel Hellkite for +6/+0, then attack with a 12/6 flying creature and hope it goes through...

Spiderman

Administrator
Staff member
Well, I'll try to throw a monkey wrench in the works that after that first activation of Grand Architect to make the Hellkite blue, I'll tap BBB and Dismember the Architect.

Oversoul

The Tentacled One
That does throw a monkey wrench into the works! I was assuming you'd either have an outright kill spell and use it after I did all that stuff or you wouldn't have one. Obviously I won't spend all of my mana to pump the Hellkite if you target it with Dismember in response to the Grand Architect's activation...

I'll respond with a second activation of Grand Architect's ability. So that activation resolves and makes Steel Hellkite a 6/6, then Dismember resolves and makes Steel Hellkite a 1/1, then the original activation resolves and makes Steel Hellkite blue again but it was already blue so it has no effect. And then I'll tap Grand Architect for 2 and pump Steel Helkite to be a 2/1, then attack with the now non-lethal Hellkite.

Spiderman

Administrator
Staff member
Actually, I'm Dismembering the Architect, not the Hellkite, because I know you can save the Hellkite with what you just did.

Oversoul

The Tentacled One
Oops. No changes from me though, except I don't spend mana on a second activation and Hellkite is a 6/5 instead of a 2/1.

Oversoul

The Tentacled One
Pay 3 to have Hellkite blow up the Pawn. Porcelain Legionnaire, done.

Spiderman: 6
Hand: 1
Library: 43
Battlefield:

(U,U,U,U,U,U,U,U,U,U) Swamp x10

Graveyard: Vampire Lacerator, Vampire Lacerator, Bloodthrone Vampire, Gatekeeper of Malakir, Dismember, Pawn of Ulamog
Exile:

Oversoul: 17
Library: 39
Battlefield:

(T,T,T,T,T,U,U,U,U) Island x9

(U) Lord of the Unreal (2/2; Illusions I control get +1/+1 and hexproof.)
(S) Porcelain Legionnaire (3/1; First Strike)

Graveyard: Phantasmal Bear, Preordain, Porcelain Legionnaire, Preordain, Phantasmal Bear, Grand Architect
Exile:

Spiderman

Administrator
Staff member
Untap, upkeep, Draw

Equip the Blade to an Eldrazi creature token

Done
Spiderman: 6
Hand: 2
Library: 42
Battlefield:

(U) Eldrazi creature token (0/1; Sac ~: Add 1 to my mana pool) *Equipped w/Blade*

Graveyard: Vampire Lacerator, Vampire Lacerator, Bloodthrone Vampire, Gatekeeper of Malakir, Dismember, Pawn of Ulamog
Exile:

Oversoul: 17
Library: 39
Battlefield:

(T,T,T,T,T,U,U,U,U) Island x9

(U) Lord of the Unreal (2/2; Illusions I control get +1/+1 and hexproof.)
(S) Porcelain Legionnaire (3/1; First Strike)

Graveyard: Phantasmal Bear, Preordain, Porcelain Legionnaire, Preordain, Phantasmal Bear, Grand Architect
Exile:

Spiderman

Administrator
Staff member
Yep. Good game. I was just too mana flooded - I looked at my next two draws and they were Swamps too. Ugh.

Let's switch...

Oversoul

The Tentacled One
Yikes. I don't think that was typical performance for these decks. We both kept drawing lands more than would be expected. Preordain might have made the difference just shoving some of them to the bottom of my library. Even so, I thought your Bloodthrone Vampire would be the end of me.

Two of the cards in my hand were Mana Leak, which ended up being dead for obvious reasons. There was also an AEther Adept I was saving to buy myself time if you put a bunch of +1/+1 counters on something. Oh well. Good game. I think we'd both have played differently if we'd known it would be so mana-flooded. We'll see what happens the second time around...

Spiderman

Administrator
Staff member
Yeah. The only thing I could see that I should have done differently was to equip the Blade to the Pawn after I attacked with the Bloodthrone, since I knew I couldn't stop the Hellkite coming over and its ability killing the Bloodthrone. But at least the Pawn would have been buffed a little so I could have attacked the next turn, though I don't think it would have ultimately affected the outcome.