Golden Rules of Magic

Killer Joe

Recently, I was given these as ‘snipit’ reminders about the rules of Magic. They have been very helpful:

The Golden Rules of Magic

~Golden Rule: If the cards and the rules conflict, the cards take precedence.

~Silver Rule: Removing the source of the effect doesn’t stop the effect from happening.

~Bronze Rule: Magic cards don’t do what they don’t say.

Protection from “X”: Remember the word D-E-B-T
~D – Cannot be DAMAGED by/from “X”
~E – Cannot be ENCHANTED/EQUIPPED by/from “X”
~B – Cannot be BLOCKED by “X”
~T – Cannot be TARGETED by/from “X”

Playing a spell:
~Announce to all players the spell you are playing (it doesn’t go to the stack yet)
~Choose any and all targets (still not yet)
~Choose modes (nope, not yet)
~Do anything else the spell says to do on announcement (getting there)
~Pay all costs including additional costs (one more thing until it goes to the stack)
~All of the above have to have been met in order to send the spell to the stack

Targets:
~Spells and abilities check targets on announcement AND on resolution. If **ALL** of the targets become invalid (not some or one), the spell counters itself upon resolution.

Triggers:
~If both players have abilities that trigger at the same time, the active player puts all of his abilities on the stack in any order he wants, then the non-active player does the same. (This can lead to strange things happening at times).

I think I pretty much knew all of these but having them in-print really help to solidify my understanding of them.

N

Nightstalkers

That should be printed up and put on every shop wall.

Oversoul

The Tentacled One
Killer Joe said:
Magic cards don’t do what they don’t say.
This is an important thing to remember. But also, some cards don't do what they say they do, which complicates things...

Killer Joe

Spiderman said:
Unless you lug around the Oracle wordings...
Well, just to the MML games due to past descrepencies i.e. Impulse. The guy said that the card says to shuffle the deck and he wanted to do so, we let him because at the time the rules said nothing of the Oracle. Now it does, so I bring it with me :rolleyes:

Oversoul

The Tentacled One
Spiderman said:
Unless you lug around the Oracle wordings...
That seems to imply that the Oracle wordings are heavy. Usually, wherever I've played, people knew the Oracle wordings to the cards they used (it's not like all that many cards have changed enough to matter) or someone else knew them. Sometimes there was a computer with internet access available. Although, I guess "lugging" around the Oracle texts for all 8,000 or so cards would be convenient. In one playgroup, this guy printed up the comprehensive rules and carried it around. I had never seen it done before, but it seems like a good policy. I'd probably do that myself, if I had a printer...

Spiderman

Administrator
Staff member
"lugging around" could mean physically carrying around a printout of all 8,000 cards, or perhaps storing them on a removable memory stick, or just carrying around the ones pertinent to the deck you're playing so you don't have to argue whether a card plays this way or the "old way", which was the whole point of the reply.

Killer Joe

When Thawing Glaciers got errata'd I wrote out the errata on 3x4 index card and carried it with the deck I was using them. Now I just have everything on a lap top :D

Oversoul

The Tentacled One
Spiderman said:
"lugging around" could mean physically carrying around a printout of all 8,000 cards, or perhaps storing them on a removable memory stick, or just carrying around the ones pertinent to the deck you're playing so you don't have to argue whether a card plays this way or the "old way", which was the whole point of the reply.
Yeah, I realize that. And like I said, "lugging around" implies burdensome weight. Most cards are going to have much less than a full page for rulings, so even with printouts it shouldn't be heavy...

Spiderman

Administrator
Staff member
So why nitpick the usage of "lug"? Does it really matter if I used "lug" as opposed to some other verb, like "carry" or "handle" or something?

Killer Joe

"Lug" implies burdensome. It also conjures up thoughts such as "Why should ANYONE have to have the oracle/comp rules with them anyway?" or "If you HAVE to carry them around then you don't know much about the game."

Of course these are the thoughts that I came up with. It's possible that I've read WAY too much into it. :eek:

Spiderman

Administrator
Staff member
So is "lug" bad when talking about the Oracle rulings?

I can understand your other thoughts if this was brought up from scratch, but I was just replying to Oversoul's comment of "some cards don't do what they say they do". :)

Oversoul

The Tentacled One
Spiderman said:
So why nitpick the usage of "lug"? Does it really matter if I used "lug" as opposed to some other verb, like "carry" or "handle" or something?
"Lug" would mean that what you are transporting has considerable weight (to the extent that it is burdensome). Of course, another verb might not denote considerable weight. Is that nitpicking? I don't know. I guess it could be...

I wouldn't say that "lug" is "bad" though. I mean, the burdensomeness of something is at least somewhat subjective, right?