Event Decks: Spidey (Wrath of the Mortals) vs Oversoul (Ultimate Sacrifice)

Oversoul

The Tentacled One
I'll Scry a card to the bottom from my creature dying. Eyeless Watcher, done.

Spidey: 6
Hand: 4
Library: 43
Battlefield:

(T,T,U) Mt x3
(T,U) Island x2
(U) Izzet Guildgate (~ ETB tapped.; T: Add U or R to my mana pool)

Graveyard: Divination, Lightning Strike, Magma Jet, Guttersnipe, Anger of the Gods, Spellheart Chimera, Young Pyromancer
Exile:
================================================================================
Oversoul: 16
Hand: 1
Library: 37
Battlefield:

(T,T,T) Swamp x3
(T,T) Forest x2
(U) Jungle Hollow (~ etb tapped. When ~ etb, I gain 1 life. T: add B or G to my mana pool.)
(U) Jungle Hollow (~ etb tapped. When ~ etb, I gain 1 life. T: add B or G to my mana pool.)
(T) Rogue's Passage (T: add C to my mana pool. 4,T: target creature can't be blocked this turn.)

Evolutionary Leap (G, sac a creature: reveal cards from the top of my library until I reveal a creature card. Put it into my hand and shuffle the rest up, then put 'em on the bottom of my library.)

(T) Catacomb Sifter (2/3; When ~ etb, create an Eldrazi Scion token. Whenever another creature I control dies, scry 1.)
(T) Nantuko Husk (2/2; Sac a creature: ~ gets +2/+2 ueot.)
(T) Sultai Emissary (1/1; When ~ dies, manifest the top card of my library.)
(S) Eyeless Watcher (1/1; When ~ etb, create two Eldrazi Scion tokens.)
(T) Eldrazi Scion token (1/1; sac ~: add C to my mana pool.)
(S) Eldrazi Scion token (1/1; sac ~: add C to my mana pool.)

Graveyard: Murderous Cut, Grim Haruspex
Exile: Evolving Wilds, Sultai Emissary, Catacomb Sifter, Blisterpod, Catacomb Sifter, Murderous Cut, Blisterpod, Sultai Emissary

Spiderman

Administrator
Staff member
Somehow I missed the "Done" :rolleyes:

Untap, upkeep, Draw

Flames of the Firebrand doing 1 dmg each to your Watcher and two Scion tokens
Responses?

Hand: 4
Library: 42
Battlefield:

(T,T,U) Mt x3
(T,U) Island x2
(U) Izzet Guildgate (~ ETB tapped.; T: Add U or R to my mana pool)

Graveyard: Divination, Lightning Strike, Magma Jet, Guttersnipe, Anger of the Gods, Spellheart Chimera, Young Pyromancer, Flames of the Firebrand
Exile:
================================================================================
Library: 37
Battlefield:

(T,T,T) Swamp x3
(T,T) Forest x2
(T) Rogue's Passage (T: add C to my mana pool. 4,T: target creature can't be blocked this turn.)

Evolutionary Leap (G, sac a creature: reveal cards from the top of my library until I reveal a creature card. Put it into my hand and shuffle the rest up, then put 'em on the bottom of my library.)

(T) Catacomb Sifter (2/3; When ~ etb, create an Eldrazi Scion token. Whenever another creature I control dies, scry 1.)
(T) Sultai Emissary (1/1; When ~ dies, manifest the top card of my library.)
(S) Eyeless Watcher (1/1; When ~ etb, create two Eldrazi Scion tokens.)

Graveyard: Murderous Cut, Grim Haruspex
Exile: Evolving Wilds, Sultai Emissary, Catacomb Sifter, Blisterpod, Catacomb Sifter, Murderous Cut, Blisterpod, Sultai Emissary

Oversoul

The Tentacled One
I guess my Sultai Emissary got duplicated at some point. I have two in Exile, none on the Battlefield. Assuming that fact doesn't change anything...

In response, I'll sac a targeted Scion to Evolutionary Leap (scry and leave the card on top), reveal Rot Shambler and put it into my hand, sac the other targeted Scion to Nantuko Husk (scry and leave the card on top), then sacrifice Eyeless Watcher to Nantuko Husk. Flames of the Firebrand fizzles?

Spiderman

Administrator
Staff member
Yup.

Harness By Force the Husk
Responses?

Hand: 23
Battlefield:

(T,T,T) Mt x3
(T,T) Island x2
(T) Izzet Guildgate (~ ETB tapped.; T: Add U or R to my mana pool)

Graveyard: Divination, Lightning Strike, Magma Jet, Guttersnipe, Anger of the Gods, Spellheart Chimera, Young Pyromancer, Flames of the Firebrand, Harness By Force
Exile:
Hand: 2
Library: 36
Battlefield:

(T,T,T) Swamp x3
(T,T) Forest x2
(T) Jungle Hollow (~ etb tapped. When ~ etb, I gain 1 life. T: add B or G to my mana pool.)

Graveyard: Murderous Cut, Grim Haruspex, Eyeless Watcher

Spiderman

Administrator
Staff member
Attack with it
Responses/blocks/take it?

Hand: 3
Battlefield:

(T,T,T) Mt x3
(T,T) Island x2

(T,A) Nantuko Husk (6/6 from saccing creatures; Sac a creature: ~ gets +2/+2 ueot)

Graveyard: Divination, Lightning Strike, Magma Jet, Guttersnipe, Anger of the Gods, Spellheart Chimera, Young Pyromancer, Flames of the Firebrand, Harness By Force
Exile:
Battlefield:

(T,T,T) Swamp x3
(T,T) Forest x2
(T) Jungle Hollow (~ etb tapped. When ~ etb, I gain 1 life. T: add B or G to my mana pool.)

Graveyard: Murderous Cut, Grim Haruspex, Eyeless Watcher, Nantuko Husk

Spiderman

Administrator
Staff member
That's 6.

Sac the Husk to itself.
Island

Done

Battlefield:

(T,T,T) Mt x3
(T,T,U) Island x3

Exile:
Oversoul: 10
Battlefield:

(T,T,T) Swamp x3
(T,T) Forest x2

Graveyard: Murderous Cut, Grim Haruspex, Eyeless Watcher, Nantuko Husk

Oversoul

The Tentacled One
For future generations, OK mostly just me, you might be wondering, "Why was Oversoul such a dumb, dumb dummy? The answer is a little weird. First off, I vaguely recalled (correctly?) that I didn't want to Evolutionary Leap away the top card of my library, but I couldn't remember what it was. And when Spidey cast Harness by Force, I couldn't remember what was in my hand, but thought I might want to do something, so I hedged. I figured that I'd probably just eat 2 damage to the face and then he might try something else, so I could draw that out by not sacrificing my own Husk, although I'm not sure if I had a concrete idea as to which card that was. I still figured sacrificing the Husk to itself was the smart move, but I deliberately decided against it on the basis that, "Eh, even if I have nothing relevant in my hand right now, if he forgets to sac the Husk to itself on his turn, I probably have lethal next turn, but if I assume he'll remember to make the right play, I only take 2 damage, which I really couldn't care less about at this stage. I'm trying to finish him off, not save myself a measly 2 damage! It's a mistake not to sac the Husk now, but the cost to pay is 2 life, which is inconsequential to me right now, and the reward if it does pay off is very likely to win the game outright." Of course, as Spiderman noticed and as I did not, my Husk was currently a 6/6. In conclusion, if you want to get the upper hand against me in Magic, try waiting a few days and then catch me in the morning. I'll probably totally forget what I was doing.

UUD, Attack with everything. Responses?

Spiderman

Administrator
Staff member
In conclusion, if you want to get the upper hand against me in Magic, try waiting a few days and then catch me in the morning. I'll probably totally forget what I was doing.

Pssh. You just have to wait for Monday to do that to me :D

Take it.

Oversoul

The Tentacled One
That's 4. Cast Rot Shambler, sac an Eldrazi Scion for mana, bottom the card from the scry and put a +1/+1 counter on Rot Shambler, sac an Eldrazi Scion for mana, scry...what's this? Hm...

...leave the card on top and put a counter on Rot Shambler, sac Catacomb Sifter to Evolutionary Leap and put a +1/+1 counter on Rot Shambler. Reveal Hangarback Walker from Evolutionary Leap and put it into my hand. Cast Hangarback Walker using the 2 from the Scions and tapping all of my lands except for a single Jungle Hollow. That's Hangarback Walker with X at 3. Responses?

Oversoul

The Tentacled One
Done.

Spidey: 2
Battlefield:

(T,T,T) Mt x3
(T,T,U) Island x3

Exile:
Library: 34
Battlefield:

(T,T,T) Swamp x3
(T,T) Forest x2

(S) Rot Shambler (4/4; Whenever another creature I control dies, put a +1/+1 counter on ~.) *3 +1/+1 counters*
(S) Hangarback Walker (3/3; ~ etb with X +1/+1 counters. When ~ dies, create a 1/1 colorless Thopter artifact creature token with flying for each +1/+1 counter on it. 1,T: put a +1/+1 counter on ~.) *3 +1/+1 counters*

Graveyard: Murderous Cut, Grim Haruspex, Eyeless Watcher, Nantuko Husk, Catacomb Sifter

Spiderman

Administrator
Staff member
Untap, upkeep, Draw

Young Pyromancer
Fated Conflagration on your Shambler, creating an Elemental token and scrying for 2, leaving one on top and one on the bottom
Responses?

Spidey: 2
Library: 41
Battlefield:

(T,T,T) Mt x3
(T,T,U) Island x3

(S) Young Pyromancer (2/1; Whenever I cast an instant or sorcery spell, create a 1/1 red Elemental creature token)
(S) Elemental creature token (1/1)

Graveyard: Divination, Lightning Strike, Magma Jet, Guttersnipe, Anger of the Gods, Spellheart Chimera, Young Pyromancer, Flames of the Firebrand, Harness By Force, Fated Conflagration
Exile:
Library: 34
Battlefield:

(T,T,T) Swamp x3
(T,T) Forest x2

(S) Rot Shambler (4/4; Whenever another creature I control dies, put a +1/+1 counter on ~.) *3 +1/+1 counters*
(S) Hangarback Walker (3/3; ~ etb with X +1/+1 counters. When ~ dies, create a 1/1 colorless Thopter artifact creature token with flying for each +1/+1 counter on it. 1,T: put a +1/+1 counter on ~.) *3 +1/+1 counters*

Graveyard: Murderous Cut, Grim Haruspex, Eyeless Watcher, Nantuko Husk, Catacomb Sifter
Exile: Evolving Wilds, Sultai Emissary, Catacomb Sifter, Blisterpod, Catacomb Sifter, Murderous Cut, Blisterpod, Sultai Emissary[/quote]

Oversoul

The Tentacled One
Yeah, guess I'd better. Sac Rot Shambler to Evolutionary Leap, reveal Swamp, Swamp, Evolving Wilds, Blisterpod, put Blisterpod into my hand.