Event Decks: Spidey (Landslide Charge) vs Oversoul (Conquering Hordes)

Spiderman

Administrator
Staff member
Well, let's see if he lasts....

Untap, upkeep, Draw

Attack
Responses/blocks/take it?

Spidey: 20
Hand: 5
Library: 47
Battlefield:

(U,U) Mt x2
(U) Forest
(U) Frontier Bivouac (~ ETB tapped.; T: Add G, U or R to my mana pool)

(T,A) Polis Crusher (4/4; Trample, Protection from Enchantments; 4RG: Monstrosity 3 (If this creature isn't monstrous, put three +1/+1 ctrs on it and it becomes monstrous); Whenever ~ deals combat dmg to a player, if ~ is monstrous, destroy target enchantment that player controls)

Graveyard: Evolving Wilds, Heir of the Wilds, Heir of the Wilds
Exile:
=====================================================================================
Oversoul: 20
Hand: 3
Library: 49
Battlefield:

(U,U,U) Plains x3
(U,U) Swamp x2

(U) Seeker of the Way (2/2; Prowess. Whenever I cast a noncreature spell, ~ gains lifelink ueot.)

Graveyard: Chief of the Scale, Chief of the Edge
Exile:

Spiderman

Administrator
Staff member
Doh. Both die, you gain 4 life. See, he didn't last long.

My guy dies, you gain 5.

Frontier Bivouac
Elvish Mystic

Done

Spidey: 20
Battlefield:

(U,U) Mt x2
(T) Forest
(T) Frontier Bivouac (~ ETB tapped.; T: Add G, U or R to my mana pool)

(S) Elvish Mystic (1/1; T: Add G to my mana pool)

Graveyard: Evolving Wilds, Heir of the Wilds, Heir of the Wilds, Polis Crusher
Exile:
=====================================================================================
Oversoul: 21
Hand: 2
Library: 49
Battlefield:

(T,T,T) Plains x3
(T,T) Swamp x2

Dictate of Helios (Flash; Creatures I control get +2/+2)

(U) Seeker of the Way (2/2; Prowess. Whenever I cast a noncreature spell, ~ gains lifelink ueot.)

Exile:

Oversoul

The Tentacled One
Hold on. Prowess trigger and Dictate of Heliod would make Seeker of the Way a 5/5, not a 4/4. So if nothing else changed, it would survive combat with Polis Crusher and I would gain 5 life. And also, Dictate of Heliod would remain on the battlefield, not go to my graveyard (Polis Crusher didn't damage me and wasn't Monstrous anyway). Not sure how clear that was, so I want to see if anything changes on your part before moving on to my turn...

Spiderman

Administrator
Staff member
Whoops. I thought the Prowess was the lifegain part and I assumed the Dictate was an Aura :rolleyes: . Nothing changes on my turn, but I've adjusted the board.

Oversoul

The Tentacled One
UUD, Bestow Herald of Anguish Torment onto Seeker of the Way. Then if that resolves I'll try to live the dream and swing in for 8 flying lifelink damage...

I do not know why I keep trying to type "Herald of Anguish." I know it's the more recent card and all, but I don't think I've ever even put it in any of my decks. It's not really my style and it's a mythic rare. Weird.

Oversoul

The Tentacled One
Done.

Spidey: 12​
Battlefield:

(U,U) Mt x2
(T) Forest
(T) Frontier Bivouac (~ ETB tapped.; T: Add G, U or R to my mana pool)

(S) Elvish Mystic (1/1; T: Add G to my mana pool)

Graveyard: Evolving Wilds, Heir of the Wilds, Heir of the Wilds, Polis Crusher
Exile:
Oversoul: 33
Library: 48
Battlefield:

(T,T,T) Plains x3
(T,T) Swamp x2

Dictate of Heliod (Flash; Creatures I control get +2/+2)
Herald of Torment (Bestow 3BB: 3/3; Flying. | Enchanted creature gets +3/+3 and flying. At the beginning of my upkeep, I lose 1 life.) {Bestowed onto Seeker of the Way.}

(U) Seeker of the Way (7/7; Prowess. Whenever I cast a noncreature spell, ~ gains lifelink ueot. Flying.) *+2/+2 from Dictate, +3/+3 from Herald*

Exile:

Spiderman

Administrator
Staff member
Untap, upkeep, Draw

Evolving Wilds
Use it to get a Forest
Seeker is tapped, yes? If so, attack for 1. If not, no attack.

Done

Spidey: 12
Library: 45
Battlefield:

(U,U) Mt x2
(U,T) Forest x2

(T) Elvish Mystic (1/1; T: Add G to my mana pool)

Graveyard: Evolving Wilds, Heir of the Wilds, Heir of the Wilds, Polis Crusher, Evolving Wilds
Exile:
Oversoul: 33 (32?)
Library: 48
Battlefield:

(T,T,T) Plains x3
(T,T) Swamp x2

Herald of Torment (Bestow 3BB: 3/3; Flying. | Enchanted creature gets +3/+3 and flying. At the beginning of my upkeep, I lose 1 life.) {Bestowed onto Seeker of the Way.}

(U) Seeker of the Way (7/7; Prowess. Whenever I cast a noncreature spell, ~ gains lifelink ueot. Flying.) *+2/+2 from Dictate, +3/+3 from Herald*

Exile:

Oversoul

The Tentacled One
Yeah, it's tapped. No blocks. I go to 31 on my upkeep from Herald of Torment's ability. Will see what I draw this evening...

Oversoul

The Tentacled One
UUD, Spirit Bonds, Oreskos Swiftclaw, make a spirit token. Attack with Seeker of the Way. Blocks/responses?

Spidey: 12
Battlefield:

(U,U) Mt x2
(U,T) Forest x2

Graveyard: Evolving Wilds, Heir of the Wilds, Heir of the Wilds, Polis Crusher, Evolving Wilds
Exile:
Oversoul: 31
Hand: 1
Battlefield:

(T,T,T) Plains x3
(T,T) Swamp x2

Spirit Bonds (Whenever a nontoken creature etb under my control, I may pay W. If I do, create a 1/1 white Spirit creature token with flying. 1W, sac a spirit: target non-spirit creature gains indestructible ueot.)

(T,A) Seeker of the Way (7/7; Prowess. Whenever I cast a noncreature spell, ~ gains lifelink ueot. Flying.) *+2/+2 from Dictate, +3/+3 from Herald* 8/8 and lifelink until end of turn.
(S) Oreskos Swiftclaw (5/3)
(S) Spirit token (3/3; Flying.)

Exile:

Oversoul

The Tentacled One
Done after that. Ouch. Well, coffin's not nailed down just yet but you need something big to turn it around...

Spidey: 4
Battlefield:

(U,U) Mt x2
(U,T) Forest x2

Exile:
Oversoul: 39
Battlefield:

(T,T,T) Plains x3
(T,T) Swamp x2

Spirit Bonds (Whenever a nontoken creature etb under my control, I may pay W. If I do, create a 1/1 white Spirit creature token with flying. 1W, sac a spirit: target non-spirit creature gains indestructible ueot.)

(T) Seeker of the Way (7/7; Prowess. Whenever I cast a noncreature spell, ~ gains lifelink ueot. Flying.) *+2/+2 from Dictate, +3/+3 from Herald*
(S) Oreskos Swiftclaw (5/3)

Exile:

Spiderman

Administrator
Staff member
Yeah, I don't think this deck has it...

EOT, Lightning Strike the Swiftclaw

Untap, upkeep, Draw

Normally I'd draw this out but I'm not here tomorrow so rather than waiting until Monday, I'll concede. Got nothing. Good game! I totally miscalculated attacking with the Crusher, I forgot you had enchantments with Flash. I just knew about the instants...

Spidey: 4
Battlefield:

(U,U) Mt x2
(U,T) Forest x2

Graveyard: Evolving Wilds, Heir of the Wilds, Heir of the Wilds, Polis Crusher, Evolving Wilds, Lightning Strike
Exile:
Oversoul: 39
Battlefield:

(T,T,T) Plains x3
(T,T) Swamp x2

(T) Seeker of the Way (7/7; Prowess. Whenever I cast a noncreature spell, ~ gains lifelink ueot. Flying.) *+2/+2 from Dictate, +3/+3 from Herald*

Graveyard: Chief of the Scale, Chief of the Edge, Oreskos Swiftclaw
Exile:

Oversoul

The Tentacled One
Good game. Dictate of Heliod is overpowered in a slower-paced environment like this. Had it in my opening hand and when I saw that you hadn't been able to take over the board, I had a feeling it'd be potent.

Well, that's all of the Event decks (except the Modern one). But we could continue this with the Challenger decks, which are effectively the same thing under a new name.