Deceased Magic artists

Spiderman

Administrator
Staff member
Just saw on WOTC's website that Wayne Englund and Christopher Rush passed away. That can't be coincidence.... or can it?

Oversoul

The Tentacled One
I'd read about Rush, but missed that England died the day before. Not sure what you mean about coincidence unless it's just that they both died around the same time, which really isn't remarkable (they didn't actually both die on the same day, although it wouldn't really be that surprising if they had), as there have been a ton of Magic artists. It's like that statistical thing where the number of people it takes for two people in the group to have a 50% chance of sharing the same birthday is only about 23. Or maybe you meant something else. I don't know...

Christopher Rush's contributions are pretty iconic. He was around early enough to illustrate some of the great classics of the game, including Black Lotus, Lightning Bolt, and the original Brainstorm.

Wayne England wasn't quite as prolific in Magic art and I didn't immediately recognize the name, but it looks like he was one of the major artists for Games Workshop stuff, so any Warhammer fans would have seen his work.

Spiderman

Administrator
Staff member
There were two articles today about their passing so I didn't know if they were connected somehow (I immediately thought of the airplane crash that took Buddy Holly, Big Bopper, and the other singer (Richie Valens?). I didn't do further research though, I'm not THAT interested in it. Just posted it here in case anyone else knew more.

Oversoul

The Tentacled One
There were two articles today about their passing so I didn't know if they were connected somehow (I immediately thought of the airplane crash that took Buddy Holly, Big Bopper, and the other singer (Richie Valens?).
Oh! Yeah, it was those three musicians. Heh, I probably thought that the cryptic...

That can't be coincidence.... or can it?
...was meant to be more ominous than you'd intended. As far as I know, they were just two artists who died around the same time. I haven't seen much as far as any details about it beyond that. Christopher Rush wasn't that old, but presumably he'd had some medical issue...

Melkor

My friend got Christopher Rush to sign some Lightning Bolts when we went to the Seattle Grand Prix back in November. Sad to hear of his passing (and of Englund). Magic is still pretty young (in an absolute sense), so it seems like the major contributors are all pretty much still with us but as the game keeps going, that'll eventually start to change.

Spiderman

Administrator
Staff member
You know it'll be old when the original playtesters and/or founding members of WOTC pass away, especially Garfield! :eek: