Commander B&R Announcement for September 23, 2024

Oversoul

The Tentacled One
Well, this one really got away from me. I had wanted to wait a bit before presenting my own critical analysis of this decision. There was a lot to say, but I didn't want to post a knee-jerk reaction here. Well, I waited a week, and WotC have already seized control of the format. Can't say that I'm surprised. So yeah, there's still a lot to cover, but this whole mess has moved beyond the topic of just simple ban list changes.

Oversoul

The Tentacled One
Well, I suppose that I've waited long enough. I have a plenty of thoughts on this stuff, but at this point I'm actually not sure where to begin. Since this is the CPA and there might be limited overall experience with the Commander format and the events that led up to this, I suppose it's best to do a bit of a review...

Toward the end of the 2010's, three trends began drastically changing the landscape of this format.
  • There was an increased prevalence of made-for-Commander cards by WotC. While the first official Commander precons were released way back in 2011 and the trend of releasing new Commander precons with every single set didn't actually begin until 2020, there was something of an inflection point with the 2016 release of the "Partner" mechanic. We also saw more Commander-focused printings in non-Commander sets, such as Conspiracy: Take the Crown. Some of these were rather broken. So new commanders and new maindeck cards that were more ideal in this format were already taking over and pushing traditional format staples to the fringes before we even got to 2020 and "The Year of Commander." That's one trend.
  • The "Philosophy of F.I.R.E." changed most Magic formats toward the end of the 2010's. Even before the official beginning of F.I.R.E, it was already the case that commanders released after 2015 were more popular than commanders from 1993 to 2014. And really, it wasn't even close! There were a few exceptions, but even most of those were from the early years of WotC making Commander-specific products (stuff like Oloro, Ageless Ascetic and Animar, Soul of the Elements). But the new design philosophy pushed this trend even harder, with the severely overtuned Throne of Eldraine Brawl decks serving as an alarming wakeup call to longtime casual players. Arguably, another aspect of this trend was the increased pace of new Magic product releases. I interpret this as being part of the whole "Philosophy of F.I.R.E" but it might just be another trend factoring into all of this.
  • The growth of the format also spurred a bloom in the popularity and organization of "cEDH." In some sense, cEDH (competitive Elder Dragon Highlander) had always existed as the natural "top-end" of Commander gameplay. But really, in the early-to-mid-2010's, this culminated in a lot of theorycrafting on the internet and some sporadic attempts at tournaments or regular competitive playgroups. As EDH (Commander) rapidly grew, so did cEDH. More tournaments cropped up, players became more experienced and savvy to what worked and what didn't, and cEDH really grew into its niche.
None of these trends, by themselves, are necessarily bad or good. I'm not here to wax nostalgic or be an old fuddy-duddy. The format was bound to change one way or another, and the scope of which changes were improvements and which ones were detrimental is, I contend, a topic for another thread. However, in the midst of this rapidly changing landscape, three issues emerged, ranging from directly and inexctricably linked to those trends to downright coincidence.
  • Sheldon Menery, the spokesman for the Commander Rules Committee and by far its most active member, became afflicted with cancer. I believe that this was around 2016. In the eyes of many EDH players, Sheldon was the Commander Rules Committee. The other members ostensibly still played the format and still paid attention to it, and because the inner workings of the Committee were hidden from the public, there was always some level of plausible deniability. But forum posts from the other members had already dwindled, and the majority of public engagement and discussion went through Sheldon alone. The RC would eventually take steps to address this, including recruiting new members, but Sheldon Menery's cancer and the apparent lack of interest of other longtime RC members changed public perception. For years, the going joke in the community was that the ban list in EDH was dictated by "whatever Sheldon lost to." With a flood of new players experiencing the format after Sheldon's cancer and his partial absence, the perception shifted to one in which seemingly most players viewed the RC as a do-nothing group. Bans and unbans became less frequent, and players became accustomed to this.
  • The growth of Commander and mismanagement of traditional tournament formats caused WotC to shift toward trying to make more money off a format that had previously been relegated to sideshow status. Even products that ostensibly had nothing to do with the Commander format were clearly designed to appeal to Commander players. Perhaps the format even became the primary means by which WotC made money. Certainly after the COVID lockdowns started and tournament play crashed down to nothing, WotC came to view Commander as their cash cow.
  • New players and players who'd migrated to Commander from other formats were unfamiliar with both the lackadaiscical attitude of the RC and the drastically different card pool that the RC had been governing during their more active years. Comparing the EDH format of the early 2020's to that of 2011 when the first official precons launched, or even to 2016 before Sheldon Menery (partially) stepped away from the format, it was night and day. The rules, ban list, and Philosophy document on the MTGCommander homepage might as well have been relics from another era, having little in common with the Commander format as most players were experiencing it. That might sound extreme, but really, it could actually be an understatement. Things got that out-of-hand.
In 2017, Protean Hulk was unbanned by the Commander Rules Committee. This was a blatant "prisoner exchange" in the same mold as what the DCI was infamous for doing with their own ban list changes: get rid of a controversial card, but unban some unrelated card at the same time. Never understood why anyone thought that prisoner exchange concept was a good way to do things, myself. But whatever. Like I said, cEDH was growing. And with both Flash and Protean Hulk available in the format, it sure seemed like the most powerful thing to be doing was to exploit the Hulk/Flash combo. I suspect that in the case of the RC back in 2017, they legitimately didn't consider this combo to even be relevant. After all, Commander was a casual format first and foremost, and anyone exploiting this broken combo was not coming to the table with the appropriate casual attitude. No one was going to accidentally Flash in a Protean Hulk. They didn't do this to spite cEDH players and they didn't do it out of some belief that it wouldn't be a problem in cEDH. I think that they just seriously didn't even think about it very much. They wanted to ban Leovold and they wanted to bump something else off the list. So yeah, Hulk Flash decks kinda took over cEDH. And cEDH players complained to the RC. A lot.

In April of 2020, the RC banned Flash. Their announcement, in my view, read as being a bit condescending. They noted that their role is to keep the format casual and that they don't regulate the ban list with competitive play in mind. They'd be throwing the cEDH community a bone this one time because enough people they trusted had convinced them that this one ban, and only this one ban, would fix things. But they had no plans to do it again, so cEDH players would be on their own from now on. The timing of this decision couldn't have been more ironic. The upcoming set was Ikoria, and the RC seemed primarily focused on what to do about the new "Companion" mechanic. But the most recent set had produced a card that would go on to revolutionize combo decks across multiple formats: Thassa's Oracle.

Laboratory Maniac was already one of the most popular and successful win conditions in cEDH. Various deck with "Lab Man" setups were generally the second-strongest decks in the format after Hulk Flash, and really might have been just as good. Thassa's Oracle was a considerable upgrade in most respects. So while one could certainly make the case that Hulk Flash had been overly dominant in cEDH in 2019 and even in January of 2020, the format was already evolving toward "Thoracle" dominance. Of course, it took a long time to get the languid Commander Rules Committee to move on any feedback. The result was a chiding announcement that they were reluctantly throwing cEDH a bone this one time and this one time only by banning what was just now becoming the second most oppressive card in the format. And with Flash out of the way, Thassa's Oracle took over that much faster. The timing was a coincidence, but the result was that the RC became a topic of considerable controversy in the cEDH community. Many cEDH enthusiasts argued for a "format split" in which they'd form their own Rules Committee and craft a separate ban list from the casual EDH ban list. Others argued that this breakaway republic concept could never work because cEDH was really just the top-end of regular EDH, which would always exist, even if some players moved away from it to pursue a different format.

In October of 2020, WotC released a "Secret Lair Drop" with mechanically unique cards based on the "Walking Dead" franchise. This was controversial for multiple reasons, but it was also painfully obvious that it was aimed at generating sales from Commander players. Although it would be silly to expect the RC to ban these cards, an act that would be very directly and boldly pitting them against WotC (and harming their profits), some players did implore them to do so. The RC addressed the controversy by blatantly lying and saying that they didn't think this product was aimed at Commander players. There'd long been EDH players who mocked the RC as being out-of-touch, and recently they'd been subject to criticism by members of the cEDH community too. But the "Walking Dead" fiasco presented a kind of inflection point, with the RC coming under fire from a broader segment of the EDH playerbase. Then in November, WotC released Commander Legends, a set filled with overpowered cards designed specifically for the Commander format. Perhaps the most blatant of these was Jeweled Lotus. I wrote an article here at the CPA on that one, which I think serves as a fine introduction to this one aspect of the looming issues. There were other controversial cards. Hullbreacher proved to be the most egregious. Some EDH players complained to the RC that Hullbreacher, Opposition Agent, and Jeweled Lotus needed to be banned. After eight months of inaction, the RC banned Hullbreacher. Maybe the RC deliberately waited until Commander Legends packs were no longer fresh on store shelves for WotC's sake or perhaps they actually took that long to arrive at a decision. Doesn't really matter which was true. The perception was that they took too long to do anything, and this rankled some of the players that might previously have given them the benefit of the doubt.

In September of 2021, the RC instituted another prisoner exchange, banning Golos, Tireless Pilgrim and unbanning Worldfire. At this point, Golos was something of a fringe contender in cEDH, but was by far the most popular commander in EDH as a whole. Competitive players generally didn't care much, but the legion of "high-power" players who stomped casual tables with their broken five-color piles were rather put-off. Many of these players either hadn't paid attention to the RC before or were new enough to not really be aware of them. This added fuel to the anti-RC fire, with an unlikely alliance between disgruntled cEDH players who didn't like the way that the RC was treating their part of the format, new try-hard "casual" players who were miffed that the RC could take their toys away, casual players who were angry about the RC towing WotC's company line, and jaded EDH veterans who had seen the RC be very lazy and make bizarre or petty decisions over the years. It was a lot of people, but with no real organization and no real consensus on what to do about the problem. Some voices cried out for WotC to just take control of the format already. Others pointed out that WotC had a track record of poorly managing several formats, so it would be silly to expect them not to screw this one up too.

For the next three years, the RC didn't really do anything. Oh, they'd sometimes announce "no changes" or release the occasional article on some topic relevant to the format. They did some big memorial thing for the death of Sheldon Menery. But they didn't ban or unban any cards. And this whole time, the format was continuing to grow. Three years short in terms of the entire history of Magic, but for a lot of EDH players, it constituted the majority of their time experiencing this game. Judging from the crowds at my LGS, that time stretched back to before a significant portion of them started playing this format. So yeah, I personally remember a whole bunch of bans and unbans in EDH. But many, maybe even most, of the people I play with would remember Golos being banned, Worldfire being unbanned, Lutri being banned, Hullbreacher being banned, and Flash being banned. Maybe, just maybe, they'd also remember Paradox Engine and Iona being banned and Painter's Servant being unbanned. But that's about it. That was a huge swath of the community in September of 2024. What's tougher to pin down is what that means. As far as I could tell, some players were frustrated that the RC was so inactive because they wanted something to be banned. But perhaps just as many people viewed this inactive version of the RC as being a good thing for the format. An inactive RC meant stability. It meant that cards were safe.

Whatever can be said about the September 2024 announcement, it sure was unexpected. I'll give my thoughts on all of the new additions to the ban list as well as the fallout from this announcement, but I really have to emphasize that part. I think that there have been both good and bad aspects to this. But the RC blindsided everyone here, and there's really no way to put a positive spin on that. You may like or dislike the RC. Maybe you know nothing about them. Maybe you've actually played Magic with one or more of them personally. I've given my own criticisms of some of their work. Maybe you agree with me. Or maybe you think that I'm a dumb poopyhead and the the RC were right about all of that stuff. Regardless of your stance on any of this, the fact remains that this sudden announcement banning four cards simultaneously after three years of inaction, was a disaster. They messed up. They admitted as much (I'll get to that too).

Oversoul

The Tentacled One
1728158866343.png

Originally printed in 1995 as one of the HarperPrism book promotional cards, Mana Crypt has been part of Magic since before EDH crawled out of the Primordial Ooze. Despite being banned in Legacy and restricted in Vintage, this card hasn't really presented a problem in EDH. Sure, it's always had its detractors, but they're the same people who have consistently called for all "fast mana" to be banned. That the only context in which I historically saw complaints regarding Mana Crypt. Some players wanted Mana Crypt, Mana Vault, Grim Monolith, Mox Diamond, and even Sol Ring to be banned. And for that crowd, well, at least I can say that they're consistent. But it seemed like they were always minority voices.

Apart from a little dabbling in cEDH, my own decks only ever used Mana Crypt if I cared about either coin-flipping or artifact recursion. It's great with stuff like Goblin Welder, so if I'm running a deck that plays around in that space, I run Mana Crypt. Most of my decks are slow enough that the self-inflicted damage from Mana Crypt would be a liability. So I own the card (I believe that I am sitting on two copies), but I hardly ever run it in my EDH decks. I got the general vibe that a lot of casual players felt similarly, for whatever that's worth.

Apart from being lumped in with other "fast mana" by that vocal minority, who really were known for calling for all sorts of other bans too (some players want to aggressively expand the ban list), Mana Crypt didn't really draw complaints in EDH. So this one really took everyone by surprise, perhaps the most out of any of the four newly banned cards. Nadu had quite the reputation for being a problem, while Dockside Extortionist and Jeweled Lotus drew controversy for other reasons. But Mana Crypt? It had been part of the format since forever. Banning it suddenly like this was alarming.

Last year, WotC leaned heavily on Mana Crypt as a chase card for Lost Caverns of Ixalan collector boosters, with seven different color pallete swaps of a new artwork by Dominik Mayer. They recently went back to this well with the "Festival in a Box" product, using this fancy set of alternate art pieces to promote the Festival in a Box. At the time the RC made the ban announcement, "Festival in a Box" was already en route to many customers. Recently, it's come out that when the RC asked WotC for feedback, they were advised against banning Mana Crypt and Jeweled Lotus.

Oversoul

The Tentacled One
1728255812261.png

If I remember correctly, Dockside Extortionist holds the dubious distinctions of being the second card originally released in a Commander-specific product to be banned in Commander (after Hullbreacher), the second card printed in an official Commander preconstructed deck to be banned in Commander (after Trade Secrets), the banned card with the second-highest EDHrec "salt score" (after Nadu, Winged Wisdom), and the second most expensive secondary market single originally printed in a Commander-specific product to be banned (after Jeweled Lotus). That's a lot of seconds for a card that is actually the oldest made-for-Commander card to be banned in Commander. I think I got all of those right, anyway. Not sure if any of it matters, but it amuses me, I guess.

Treasure tokens were merely decent when the mechanic debuted in Ixalan. Rather infamously, WotC pushed the power level of treasure-creating cards over the next few years, culminating in the absurdities of Smothering Tithe, Hullbreacher, and Ragavan, Nimble Pilferer. This was presumably connected to the Philosophy of F.I.R.E., but players in general weren't keen on a single type of new artifact token completely warping gameplay around itself across basically all formats in existence. Dockside Extortionist, a middling offender in this field, took the brunt of the criticism in the Commander format. But really, the story of this card is frustratingly complicated. Dockside Extortionist came to be viewed as a problem for multiple reasons, not all of which were related and most of which weren't really this card's fault.
  • When Dockside Extortionist was first released in Commander 2019, treasure tokens were already becoming obnoxious, but this phenomenon had not yet hit its zenith. It's also likely that the teams responsible for Smothering Tithe and for Dockside Extortionist (which were released within months of each other) weren't taking each other into consideration, or at least not as much as would later prove warranted. I even remember when this precon came out, and Dockside Extortionist, while notable, wasn't that big of a deal. Most likely, the Commander 2019 design team came up with this card soon after Ixalan Block, back when treasures carried no reputation for being broken. But over the next couple of years, the broken interactions with this card skyrocketed. Stuff that no one in the summer of 2019 would have known about, like Academy Manufactor and Goldspan Dragon, totally changed the role of treasures in the Commander format.
  • Because so many decks were using treasure tokens, with some of the most popular new commanders even producing the tokens themselves, this meant that Dockside Extortionist could force treasure-using opponents to either bail out on their own hoard of treasure tokens or risk the player with Dockside Exortionist completely taking over the game. Dockside Exortionist was simultaneously one of the strongest tools to use in a treasure-based deck as well as perhaps the strongest weapon to use against such decks. It's generally bad for the health of a format when one card takes on this sort of dual role.
  • Even though 2019 wasn't that long ago, a lot of Commander players didn't purchase the "Mystic Intellect" precon. I think that it was actually the least popular of the four precons for that year. Like I said, Dockside Exortionist didn't catch on right away. So scarcity quickly became a problem. WotC decided to hold off on reprinting Dockside Exortionist, even in reprint products where players expected it to show up as a chase card. This was especially egregious when a new set was released with pirates, goblins, and even goblin pirates, but no Dockside Extortionist. A card that was once unremarkable climbed to an egregious secondary market price. WotC did eventually reprint this card, but only as a mythic rare in a premium booster product. This isn't me with an axe to grind against Wizards of the Coast. There will be plenty of room for that elsewhere. But regardless of your feelings on their overall management of the game, they certainly milked the "reprint equity" of this one. I can't prove it, but I suspect that Dockside Extortionist was picked by someone in the company as a card to target for keeping above some monetary threshold ($50 or whatever). Lack of access to this format staple aggravated many players.
  • Under the Philosophy of F.I.R.E., the arsenal of tools in the game to synergize with creature EtB triggers ballooned. New sets had already been doing a bit too much with this type of ability for a while before Commander 2019, but that was just a prelude. A single Dockside Extortionist trigger when multiple opponents have some artifacts and enchantments can be a powerful boost for the player that uses this little goblin, but it's not necessarily a problem. Sets released in the intervening years have made copying the trigger, blinking the creature, and otherwise duplicating this effect easier and more streamlined than ever before. Dockside Extortionist came to be feared as much for infinite combos as it was for generic value mana acceleration.
  • Red-based decks in cEDH could really only function because of an awkward assembly of misfit broken cards. Dockside Extortionist wasn't the only such tool, but it was probably foremost among them. The voices of frustration among casual players calling for Dockside Extortionist to be banned were themselves answered by angry cEDH players who worried that the RC would heed those cries. Awkward, and we'll touch on that more in another post.
For my part, I used Dockside Exortionist in a few of my own decks back in 2022, but moved away from the card after that and never looked back. It relies on opposing board states too much for my taste, and scares casual players because it's associated with broken plays. I don't hate the card, but it's just not my style. I would probably have only ever run this card again in a dedicated Goblin Tribal or Pirate Tribal deck, and even then I'd be reluctant. But I also didn't really have a problem with Dockside Extortionist. Players deliberately looping or copying this guy in casual EDH seems to be rare and frowned upon. It's merely decent as a mana "ritual" or treasure source. And sometimes, when the board state doesn't favor it, Dockside Extortionist is actually rather lousy in casual EDH.

Now, I've established in my forum history here that I prefer to err on the side of a smaller ban list where possible. I wouldn't have banned this card. But I did know that it was the subject of controversy, and I wouldn't really have been upset if the RC had decided to ban Dockside Extortionist, by itself. In the days since the announcement, it's come out that RC member Olivia Gobert-Hicks had been a minority vote in RC deliberations and had suggested to the rest of the committee to only ban Dockside Extortionist and Nadu, then wait a while and see what happens before making a decision on Mana Crypt and Jeweled Lotus. In a longstanding, nonrotating format like Commander, my own stance is that individual targeted ban list changes are better than doing anything involving multiple cards simultaneously, but I'd generally be fine with that. I suspect that a hypothetical scenario in which the RC banned those two cards, perhaps mentioning the other two as "watch list" examples, would have gone over far better with the broader community.

Oversoul

The Tentacled One
1728261074684.png

I'll say it again: I'm feeling pretty vindicated on this one. I was extremely critical of Jeweled Lotus as a concept from the moment it was spoiled, and went on to write an article here at the CPA (linking to it again here for convenience) detailing my take on this unfortunate design choice. I kind of hate this card. I knew right away that if I was ever going to dabble in cEDH again, I would probably want a copy of this card. I had The Gitrog Monster in mind, particularly. I forget what exactly motivated me to bite the bullet and buy Jeweled Lotus in October of 2021, but I can see that I paid $100 for it. I contend that this sum doesn't factor into my analysis here, and I'll note that paid over $380 for Word of Command, a card I've never used in any deck, while placing this very same singles order, so I hope that anyone reading this can give me the benefit of the doubt that I am a serious Magic collector and haven't gotten bent out of shape over one card getting banned in Commander just because I bought a copy. My stance on buying cards is that they're mine now and financial value is only a factor when it comes to how quickly I can move on to focus on collecting other cards. I'm never selling my collection and won't be too bothered if some cards drop in value, as is inevitable. Anyway, I used Jeweled Lotus in my Zirilan of the Claw deck because accelerating the commander can be so important for that deck. This was mostly an afterthought, probably because I needed somewhere to put the Jeweled Lotus that I'd purchased five months prior, and it seemed like a decent fit (oops, see post #8 in this thread). From there, I occasionally used Jeweled Lotus in similar decks, perhaps in part because I wanted to get over my own animosity against the card.

I still kinda hate this card, for all the reasons I went over in my article. I do think that the format is better off without this thing. Now, despite all of that, the decision to suddenly strip this card away from players who were excited to pull it in booster packs is not to be taken lightly. In fact, out of all the cards in the announcement, this one probably caused the most controversy. Jeweled Lotus had already been pushed to the Commander playerbase as a chase mythic rare in Commander Legends. Last year, WotC went back to that well, using Jeweled Lotus as the premier chase mythic in Commander Masters. Alongside the normal version of the card, they released three different alternative treatments, with textured foil printings of the special alternative art version easily commanding a pricetag of several hundred dollars on the secondary market. The card was even on the box art for the set. Much like Mana Crypt, this card was singled out in marketing materials as a potential pull for the "Festival in a Box 2024" product. So yeah, the last printing of the card was over a year before the RC banned it, but WotC had effectively refreshed interest in this card, at least partially, by including it in a new product. And to reiterate: many customers who purchased this product knew that it was en route to their homes or perhaps had just received it right as the Commander Rules Committee announced the ban.

The timing of this ban was terrible optics. I've been critical of WotC in the past, but the timing of this ban by the RC was almost certainly worse than the timing of any ban WotC ever implemented. As far as all of that goes, did the card need to be banned? Despite my bias, I think that a ban was uncalled for. Jeweled Lotus seemed to have a legitimate role in cEDH. At casual tables, its main use seemed to be as an equalizer to give expensive commanders a chance against cheaper ones. Perusing Jeweled Lotus on EDHrec, the commander it's associated with are almost all either known cEDH or likely high-power contenders at the top end of "casual" decks: Urza, Najeela, Thrasios/Dargo, Tymna/Kraum, Godo, Birgi, etc. These aren't really egregious in casual play because the people playing these decks know that the commanders themselves have a reputation as cEDH commanders. In a sense, I'm arguing that the community was already self-policing when it came to Jeweled Lotus. In theory, someone could have been using Jeweled Lotus as a pubstomp card in some deck helmed by Arcum Dagsson or whatever, but this card wasn't the scourge of the format. I mean it. I wish that I could say it was. I'd say, "good riddance" and move on. But this ban had an adverse effect on the people who were still pulling Commander Masters cards in packs, and that's just a bad idea. The payoff for that is what, exactly? I don't get the Rules Committee's angle here.

Last edited:

Oversoul

The Tentacled One
1728263739605.png

In one way, this card is probably the easiest one for my to analyze as a ban decision. Nadu is an infamous card across multiple formats and a cartoonishly stupid design from WotC that should really impel them to reevaluate their process. Many others commenting on this card have been quick to call it a "mistake." I'm not willing to give WotC that excuse here. I haven't explained this here at the CPA, so even though it verges a bit outside the scope of Commander, I'll note that I do not find it plausible that the phrase "this ability triggers only twice each turn" and the 3/4 body on a three-drop creature were caused by anyone overlooking the inevitable effects that this card would have. Don't insult my intelligence by telling me that this was an "oopsie." Anyway, Nadu was already banned in Modern and has been a strong card in Legacy. This is a somewhat reviled card in the Magic community. It's quite probable that Nadu's position as only the ninth most popular blue/green commander on EDHrec is in part because players hate the card enough to refrain from playing it. So yeah, good riddance, I guess?

On the other hand, this card might be the hardest one for me to consider as a ban decision: I've never played with nor against Nadu. I've been playing a lot of EDH lately, but no one has used this card against me! Not even once. Conceptually, I can understand how the play patterns with this card as a commander might be obnoxious. But I have no actual experience to make a judgment call here. Notably, I only dabbled in EDH for several years, but have been active in this format for over a decade now, and this has never happened to me before. Going through Commander bans since 2014, we've got...

Prophet of Kruphix: yeah, players used it against me. It was kind of obnoxious, but I've always felt that its transgressions were exaggerated.
Leovold, Emissary of Trest: used against me several times. I have a friend who ran a Leovold deck.
Iona, Shield of Emeria: used against me and also used by me.
Paradox Engine: used against me and also used by me.
Lutri, the Spellchaser: never legal in the format, not applicable.
Flash: used against me and also used by me.
Hullbreacher: players used it against me, including in broken combos. Like a good boy, I refrained from such behavior.
Golos, Tireless Pilgrim: played against this as a commander approximately one billion times.
Mana Crypt: a classic, used in some of my decks and of course seen in opponents' decks.
Dockside Extortionist: looks like I used it in three decks, and I'm sure I played against it a lot more.
Jeweled Lotus: looks like I used this one in eight decks, and of course saw it used by opponents even more.
Nadu, Winged Wisdon: I've got nothing.

I actually asked a couple of other local players about this one, and they had the same response: they'd never seen Nadu used in a live EDH game at their own tables. Now, the plural of "anecdote" is not "data" and I'm not trying to contend that Nadu wasn't a problem. I just find it interesting that a card can be a problem in the format over the course of three months and that highly active players in that format can just never see it. That sort of thing doesn't happen in tournament formats, but I guess it really could happen in casual Commander. Looks like it did. Weird, though.

Oversoul

The Tentacled One
I forget what exactly motivated me to bite the bullet and buy Jeweled Lotus in October of 2021, but I can see that I paid $100 for it. I contend that this sum doesn't factor into my analysis here, and I'll note that paid over $380 for Word of Command, a card I've never used in any deck, while placing this very same singles order, so I hope that anyone reading this can give me the benefit of the doubt that I am a serious Magic collector and haven't gotten bent out of shape over one card getting banned in Commander just because I bought a copy. My stance on buying cards is that they're mine now and financial value is only a factor when it comes to how quickly I can move on to focus on collecting other cards. I'm never selling my collection and won't be too bothered if some cards drop in value, as is inevitable. Anyway, I used Jeweled Lotus in my Zirilan of the Claw deck because accelerating the commander can be so important for that deck. This was mostly an afterthought, probably because I needed somewhere to put the Jeweled Lotus that I'd purchased five months prior, and it seemed like a decent fit. From there, I occasionally used Jeweled Lotus in similar decks, perhaps in part because I wanted to get over my own animosity against the card.
Alright, I noticed a mistake in my earlier post. When writing that post, I tracked down the receipt from when I purchased Jeweled Lotus in an attempt to offer a kind of full disclosure. I couldn't remember that it had been $100. I'm not rich, but I spend a lot on Magic cards, and I wanted to emphasize that the "investment" wasn't a concern to me. I took a look at my deck history and didn't find anything for Jeweled Lotus prior to my "Doctor Claw" deck in March of 2022. Based on this, I assumed that I had Jeweled Lotus just sitting around somewhere in a box for five months. I didn't know that this was the case, but it looked that way based on my cursory search. Well, I took another look and I see that I missed the Barrin, Master Wizard deck I built back in November of 2021. I'd later go on to build a PreDH version of this deck, which of course doesn't use Jeweled Lotus. But the 2021 deck was my actual first deck to make use of my copy of this card.

I don't really think that this is relevant to the discussion, but I also don't want to be a liar here.

Oversoul

The Tentacled One
I've gone over the cards to set the stage. Now let's take a look at the announcement at the heart of this whole controversy...

Toby Elliott said:
The philosophy of Commander prioritizes creativity, and one of the ways we have historically reflected that in the rules and banlist is to encourage a slower pace of game than traditional formats. This gives decks time and space to develop and do different things. We have a goal to make it easier for players who enjoy slower, more social games to have an environment for them to explore.

Commander has always had the potential for someone to get out to a fast start and be the first arch-villain in the game, but that advantage has been balanced by having multiple players gunning for them once it happens. In the past few years, notably since Strixhaven, we have seen a pattern of stronger mid-game cards and that’s leading to the player who skips past the early game being able to snowball their advantage straight through to the win. Occasional games like that are fine, but it shouldn’t be common, and we’re taking steps to bring that frequency down a bit by banning three of the most explosive plays in the format.
So far, so good, I guess? He's not factually wrong about what was going on in the format. I wouldn't have put it the way he did. But he's not wrong. Notably, Mana Crypt has been around since 1995. I'm very critical of banning old cards for the sake of new ones. Remember when Vengevine was a big deal in Legacy and I lambasted WotC for banning Survival of the Fittest? So yeah, not a fan of that philosophy. If new cards are a problem, then ban them. Leave my 90's cards alone, you monsters.

Mana Crypt – Coming down for no mana on turn 1, it’s quite possible to have the explosive start of Mana Crypt into a signet or talisman, land, and another signet, leaving that player untapping 5 mana on turn 2. In games going 12+ turns, the accumulated threat of damage from Mana Crypt provides a reasonable counterbalance for its explosive effect, but when you are snowballing to a turn 6-8 win, it’s a meaningless drawback.
To paraphrase what the RC themselves said time and time again, it's not like the players who do this are doing it on accident. In a format where you put your trust in players to adopt the "spirit of the format" and to use "Rule Zero" to figure out what kind of Commander experience they seek, why is using Mana Crypt in a highly explosive deck a problem? And wouldn't the same go for Mox Diamond, Mana Vault, Ancient Tomb, Mox Opal, Gaea's Cradle, Lotus Petal, Grim Monolith, Serra's Sanctum, Chrome Mox, and so on? Why single out Mana Crypt?

Jeweled Lotus – another card that can give you five mana on turn 2, Jeweled Lotus does it without even needing a good hand. Though you’re restricted in what you can do with the mana, four- and five-mana Commanders can pack a significant punch nowadays, often draw cards to make up for the one-shot mana, and defensive abilities such as Ward can’t be interacted with that early in the game.
Honestly, to ban Jeweled Lotus and not even give a nod to the fact that you're effectively deleting a made-for-Commander staple that has no utility in any other format? Seems gutless. Like I said, I hate this card. But cop to what you're doing. Don't blather about the "Ward" ability when the elephant in the room is that you're taking a $100+ card with virtually no value outside of this one format and saying, "now it can't be used in this format either."

Dockside Extortionist – Dockside isn’t normally quite as explosive in the early game as the other two cards, but it can still go mana-positive on turn 2 and start generating substantial treasures after that. It’s been on the border for years, and we’ve shied away from taking action in the past because the card has scaled well with the power level of the table, but it’s a frequent contributor to the more egregious snowballing starts.
In isolation, the reasoning for banning Dockside Extortionist makes sense. In the context of this announcement, it's contradictory. Remember?

In the past few years, notably since Strixhaven, we have seen a pattern of stronger mid-game cards and that’s leading to the player who skips past the early game being able to snowball their advantage straight through to the win.

Yes, Mana Crypt and Jeweled Lotus can be part of a package that accelerates strong midgame cards before opponents have a chance to get going. But I'm not the first person to point out that Dockside Extortionist can't be used in this manner and is actually used in the opposite way: to counteract an opponent that had an explosive start.

For those who don't have much experience with these cards, I'll put it another way. Let's say that I use a first turn Mana Crypt to deploy a first turn Arcane Signet, then use that Arcane Signet along with my land to cast Lightning Greaves. Then let's say that on my second turn I play another land, use Jeweled Lotus, Mana Crypt, and a land to cast my six-drop commander, equip Lightning Greaves to it, attack an opponent who had a slower start, reap the benefits of whatever EtB and combat triggers my commander used, all while still holding up the mana from Arcane Signet and one of my lands for something else. The RC is telling us that this is a bridge too far. But if at this point I use those two mana to cast Dockside Extortionist, I might get one or two treasures. I'm already ahead: there's no reason to suppose that my opponents have more artifacts and enchantments than that on such an early turn. For me to use Dockside Extortionist here, I'm probably getting little value and perhaps no value at all. It doesn't help my explosive start.

But now, consider that same scenario from an opponent's perspective. I'm ahead. I'm a big problem and dealing with my big commander is going to be tough because it's already wearing Lightning Greaves. Alright, but what if two of my opponent each have one measly artifact or enchantment by this point and the third casts Dockside Extortionist? My Mana Crypt + my Arcane Signet + my Lightning Greaves + the two other cards yields a total of five treasure tokens for the opponent that cast Dockside Extortionist. If this opponent has something in-hand that can turn the tables against me, then that card might very easily be online now. Dockside Extortionist helped police my fast start. It's a card that is very strong against opponents who rapidly deploy many cheap artifacts and/or enchantments (but probably artifacts). It's lackluster when you're the person at the table who has the explosive start!

This isn't some trivial technicality. As far as I can tell, every active and aware Commander player who has taken the time to read the announcement has come away puzzled at this same part. To be sure, a lot of players hate Dockside Extortionist. But they do understand how the card works, and it's contrary to the verbiage in this announcement.

We should also talk about the elephant in the room. We’re not banning Sol Ring and have no desire to. Yes, based on the criteria we’ve talked about here, it would be banned. Sol Ring is the iconic card of the format, and it’s sufficiently tied to the identity of the format that it defies the laws of physics in a way that no other card does.
Defies the laws of physics? Which ones? It's downright bizarre to see the people who are officially in charge of a format talk about a card in the format as though it has some special forcefield and is beyond their control. The RC could have banned Sol Ring at any time in the past 22 years. There was no special outside force blocking their will here. The laws of physics had nothing to do with this.

Banning Sol Ring would be fundamentally changing the identity of the format. We aren’t trying to eliminate all explosive starts – it happening every once in a while is exciting – and removing the other three cards geometrically reduces the number of hands capable of substantial above-curve mana generation in the first few turns.
It's not geometric progression. Toby is using a technical, mathematical term to describe something that doesn't fit this technical definition. I suspect that this is not anything deceptive, but rather that geometric progression was explained to him poorly at some point in the past and that he is regurgitating that here in an attempt to be technical. But wow, it's a bad look.

There’s another ban here, and it’s explosive, but in a different way. Given that Nadu, Winged Wisdom has been ejected from multiple formats at this point, it’s no surprise that we took a close look at it for Commander. Sometimes, hugely problematic cards in other formats (Oko, companions) are fine for Commander, but our observations of Nadu suggest its inherent play pattern is going to cause problems.

Part of the problem is the way in which Nadu wins, where it takes a really long time to do non-deterministic sequences that can’t be shortcut and might eventually fizzle out. These aren’t dedicated combo lines that you have to build a deck around; dropping Nadu into a “normal” Simic shell still runs the risk of grinding the game down to a slog of resource accrual. It interacts badly with cards that are staples of casual play, most notably Lightning Greaves, meaning that decks where it gets thrown into without abuse intent can still create a situation where the player is monopolizing all the time in the game. That’s not an experience we want to risk, so Nadu gets itself another ban.
Here's the part where I wish I'd run up against some of these hypothetical Nadu decks. But I don't actually doubt Toby here and don't have any problems with this part of the announcement.

What’s Coming Up?

Hopefully quieter updates!
Narrator: Quieter updates were not what was coming up.

We talked in the last update about providing players with better ways to communicate about silver-bordered cards in their deck. That project is going well, but isn’t quite ready for release, so we’re holding off announcing it here. We expect it to be out by the next announcement at the latest.
I actually think that this is a cool concept. I hope that we still get to see the culmination of this project.

We’re working with the folks at Wizards to provide some new tools to use in pregame conversations to help folks find like-minded players and are pretty excited about some of the possibilities there. No promises on a timeline yet, though.
It seems like maybe this was hinting at the "Bracket system" we'd later hear about.

Whatever happens, we’ll be back with our next update on November 18th, after the Foundations prerelease! In the meantime, tune into the charity stream and keep on brewing!
So yeah, I guess that these bans were more controversial than Toby was anticipating.

Oversoul

The Tentacled One
I've been posting in this thread a lot today. Let's keep it going. For context, this announcement reached the Commander community like a lead zeppelin. While most early responses seemed to be either bewilderment or outrage, it didn't take long for some of the more high-profile people in Magic to put another spin on the issue: the members of the Commander Rules Committee and the Commander Advisory Group were receiving death threats. I did notice some stalwart individuals dismissing this as a separate issue, and rightly so. Death threats are a matter for the police to deal with. Anyone threatening the RC/CAG can potentially be prosecuted. The legal system has tools for that. There is nothing that a bunch of strangers who happen to play Magic can do about this, and it's also pretty offensive to try to take the whole broader Magic community to task for some unspecified death threats that might all have come from the same individual or which might not even have happened in the first place.

I say "some stalwart individuals" because what I found online was that almost everyone immediately caved. The narrative went from one of general criticism of the RC for this announcement to one of condemnation of the whole community because of some purported death threats. Now, I have no reason to believe that death threats weren't made. In fact, with potentially millions of players adversely affected by this announcement, it would be a surprise if there weren't a handful of psychopaths in the mix. So no, I'm not contending that there weren't death threats. I assume that there probably were, just because of how math and human nature play out in these scenarios. But what I will say is that I haven't seen receipts and that fake death threats would apparently have been an excellent way to deflect criticism here. It worked like a charm. I myself had some stranger on the internet tell me to "shut up" and call me a "coward" for failing to properly bemoan the horror of death threats against the RC instead of skipping past that to offer what was actually a pretty minor criticism of an aspect of this decision. But that was just one guy, and whatever. What bugs me more is seeing Magic content creators in articles and videos talking down to their audience, going on and on about how death threats are actually bad, as though anyone in the audience doesn't already know this. On the whole, this affair has been a great litmus test of who will argue in good faith and who will jump to virtue-signalling the moment that an opportunity to do so presents itself. So thanks for that, Commander Rules Committee.

The day after the announcement, the RC posted a document meant to address the deluge of criticism they were receiving...

Commander Rules Committee said:
The following questions have come up repeatedly in the aftermath of this week’s bannings. This document aims to provide an easily-linked-to source for answers. Those answers may not be satisfying or provide solace, but they hopefully provide clarity.

Before we start with the questions, we need to make one thing perfectly clear. While disagreement and good-faith discussion is welcome, threats of violence - including people supporting those threats - is beyond the pale. They have no place in Commander.

Threats of any kind directed at anyone on the CAG, Moderators, or RC are not only counterproductive, they will be dealt with immediately through appropriate legal channels.

Did the RC sell any of their cards before banning to avoid loss of value?

No. There’s no way to prove it short of putting our collections in escrow, but the RC has a zero-tolerance policy for abusing knowledge of pending or potential changes. If a vendor has evidence of cards being sold before the announcement we invite them to reach out to and publish it.
There's been some discussion online about whether or not there's any evidence of front-running. A frustrating aspect of this, as often comes up in the context of the Magic secondary market, is that blatantly predatory business practices are effectively legal in this space. In theory, they might not be legal (that's tangled web to deal with), but it doesn't matter if no case ever comes under scrutiny by regulators or appears before a judge.

You can't necessarily get away with actual fraud. But if you have come into information that would influence the price of a Magic card, you are free to exploit this information in advance of others, and the SEC isn't going to come after you over playing cards. Do I think that the RC is lying about this? No, not at all. For one thing, this announcement was their first activity in three years. If they were out to make a profit, they've been doing a lousy job of it. Also, this doesn't really make sense as a money-making scheme. Setting aside the fact that Mana Crypt and Jeweled Lotus, expensive though they may be, are still basically small potatoes, they could make just as much money selling their copies of these cards and not banning anything at all. I could think of some clever workarounds to squeeze some value out of this kind of maneuver, but it would be really clumsy and the controversy that would ensue could damage their position of authority over the format (spoiler alert).

The better question to ask isn't whether the RC sold any of their cards before the banning, but whether any of the WotC staff they consulted before making this decision issued a tipoff to major card vendors. We didn't all know right away, but it turned out that the RC kept the Commander Advisory Group (CAG) in the dark for this announcement, ostensibly to prevent the possibility of leaks. But they also talked to WotC staff, and that's a much bigger sieve. So let's say that you work for Wizards of the Coast, but don't get paid very well. Let's say that you also have a point of contact with a major card merchant. We'll call them Moon Village Games. The insider information that Jeweled Lotus and Mana Crypt are about to be banned in EDH doesn't do you much good because you don't own enough copies of those cards for it to matter. But if you surreptitiously provide a tip to your friend over at Moon Village Games that this is about to go down, then they can move to minimize damage to themselves and let other vendors take the brunt of this bomb. Even if anyone could prove that they had advance notice, there's no consequences for them. It's all just playing cards for kids, not the stock market, so it's no big deal. You wouldn't benefit directly from your knowledge of the upcoming announcement, but your friend and Moon Village Games would probably make it worth your while. This is all hypothetical. I made it up. I have no evidence to suggest that it happened. But if it did happen, there'd be no consequences for it happening, and there's the rub.

Will the RC roll back these changes? Do you listen to the audience?

We have no desire or intent to roll back these changes, and believe that doing so would make any financial concerns much worse. We also believe the format as a whole will be better for them. That said, we do listen to the feedback about how it was communicated/executed, and other suggestions about how to handle it in the future.
The reticence of the RC is so extreme that most Commander players just assume it's actually laziness on their part. It's a bit comical to see them seriously claim that they listen to feedback.

Why didn’t you give advance notice of this change?

We’ll own this one, this could have been done much better.

Our policy about advance notice has been, for many years, to avoid muddying the waters with advance warnings about what we’re planning to ban. We used to have a watch list but it
  1. caused noticeable grief when things weren’t acted upon
  2. slowed down our ability to react when we saw a problem,
  3. and shifted the losses to the less enfranchised players who were less aware.

so we got rid of it.
I was going to call this revisionist history, but perhaps that's too blunt. The first point I'd grant, but give virtually no weight to. The second point I believe to be false (the RC never seemed to let the lack of mentioning a card's watch list status cause them to hesitate on a ban, or if they did, then they hid it well). The third point is trivial: less enfranchised players are almost always the ones left holding the bag. A watch list doesn't make that worse. It happens without one.

Second: On top of that, many recent bannings have come primarily from community feedback: Hullbreacher, Flash, Paradox engine were all cards the community told us were a problem… so there was public awareness in advance. This wasn’t the case with Golos and there was some objection to the surprise, but it has borne out as a good ban.
I mean, there's no way to measure that? Like, if I'm in charge of deciding what gets banned, then I decide to ban a card and my decision is controversial, how can I later tell everyone, "it has borne out as a good ban"? Would anyone who didn't like my decision really take at face value my claim that it "has borne out" to be a good? This is just, like, weird flexing?

Lastly, discussing potential/pending bans with more people increases the chance of leaks which make the losses even more unfair. Our goal with keeping it secret, especially in the case of expensive cards, was to avoid any possibility for advance trading based on leaks.
This bit has drawn some real criticism, and I'm kinda surprised that they said this. The RC created the CAG to give them insights, to be a voice at the table but not a vote on the final say. They choose who gets to be on the CAG. And for the biggest change they've made in many years, they opted not to seek advice from the group that they created to advise them because they were worried that their own advisory group would leak information. If you don't trust someone, then why put them in an advisory group? Why not just, you know, not do that?

Perhaps CAG members started resigning for reasons totally unrelated to this. But I can't shake the feeling that advisors resigning was motivated largely or entirely by the fact that they were propped up as supposedly having a role in ban list changes, and then weren't consulted at all for the most controversial ban list changes ever because they were deemed not trustworthy enough. Yeah, I'd resign too.

In the case of the September 2024 bans though the financial impact of this change justified more discussion or community awareness ahead of time. Keeping details secret to avoid leaks was important, but discussing the concept openly would have been worth it.
That's a contradiction. You can keep it a secret or you can discuss it openly. You can't do both! That's impossible.

Will you give advance notice of changes in the future?

We will be discussing the concept of “warming up” community awareness before bans like this in future. To be clear, it would be less of a shock, but casual players will more likely get taken advantage of, so it’s not clear it would be a strict improvement. Nevertheless, there is a significant portion of the player base who want to see it and we acknowledge that this set of bannings caused a lot of pain made worse by surprise.
Do I need to create some sort of chart to show why this concept of a watch list causing ignorant players to be duped by card sharks (moreso than already happens) doesn't make sense? It seems simple enough to me that the concept is dead-on-arrival, but the RC just invoked it twice in this FAQ.

Why didn’t you ban cards one at a time and see how that went?

The decision to ban multiple cards at the same time (Dockside, Crypt, and Lotus) was based on the belief that it sends a stronger message about what we’re trying to achieve. Agree with that goal or not, a “slow drip” would have diluted the impact and if the problem is real then we wanted to act decisively.
It's not about banning cards. It's about sending a message. Got it. Message received. And now WotC has taken over your format. Was it worth it? For the message? And what was the message anyway? I never actually understood that part.

You know, if you don't wait three years between bans, you can actually evaluate the impact of any one ban by itself. You might learn that some other card you thought of banning doesn't need banned after all. Crazy, right?

Did WotC know these cards might be banned when they sold them in 2023?

We have discussed our concerns about fast mana, including marquee cards like Jeweled Lotus and Mana Crypt, with WotC for some time but had not decided to ban them until recently. We knew it would be a painful change and maybe waited too long, but once we decide to ban cards we act and have never “sat on” a banning.
Three years. I've said it enough times now, right? Many of the sycophants in the Commander community defend the RC by casting them as unpaid volunteers doing a thankless job. You know, because waiting three years between doing anything counts as a job, apparently.

Did you ban these cards specifically because they’re expensive?

No, that reverses the cause and effect. The cards are expensive because they’ve been kept as chase rares and are very powerful. We banned them because of their power and impact on the format, and while we accept that their monetary value is real it doesn’t justify leaving them in the format.
Why does a card that has been part of the format since its inception suddenly need to be "justified" in order to avoid a ban? Shouldn't the onus be the other way around?

Did you ban these cards specifically to target cEDH/tEDH?

No. While this set of bannings does have a large impact on the cEDH/tEDH metagame, that was neither our goal nor an overwhelming consideration (in fact it’s something we like to avoid, but not a high priority). We banned them because they’re having an increasing effect on casual games and rule-zero/pregame conversations were no longer keeping them in check.
One of the big criticisms of the RC for years was that, other than Sheldon, most of them had long been rather inactive in the format. And WotC have freely admitted that a source of trepidation for them "taking over" and running the format is the lack of data, as casual Commander doesn't have a tournament structure and they can't just scrape MTGO to get some numbers. I say this because the mention of an "increasing effect on casual games" is a quantitative claim that the RC could not actually back up. It sounds good in theory, but the answer to "How do you know that the effect is increasing?" is a resounding, "They don't."

Do you care that banning these cards damages the cEDH metagame.

We care because some of our players enjoy that style of play, but believe this is a small portion of the global playerbase and that high-powered play “leaking” into lower power groups is a recurring problem. We have always been very clear that we would make changes based on helping casual players have the best play experience, and that cEDH-style players who simplify the pregame conversation may be caught in the blast. This was an extreme example of that, although our contacts in the high-power community believe it will not be destructive to the format and/or it will evolve into something new.
This paragraph is strange enough that I don't actually know how to analyze it. "Contacts in the high-power community"? I didn't know this was a thing! The subset of the non-cEDH community of Commander players who play "high-power" decks is, at best, extremely slippery. I've met many of these people, and they don't really seem to have much in common with each other. They're not organized and no one speaks for them. Anyone contacting the RC and purporting to be a spokesperson for "high-power" casual EDH is bound to be a grifter.

Why wasn’t the CAG told about the bans or consulted?

The CAG has been involved in numerous conversations about format speed over the past few years, and have shared their opinions with us. They were not informed of the choice to ban these cards because we felt we had the information we needed (from them and elsewhere) and as a large group it would be difficult to keep it under wraps. As above, we felt making sure there were no leaks was paramount.
I know that some members of the CAG have shed some light on this statement, and it seems rather damning. From what I've read, it looks like the CAG were vaguely surveyed on some topics and that they only real connection this has to these bans was that they were asked general questions about "fast mana."

Are other expensive cards safe from being banned?

Yes but not absolutely beyond reproach. We’re not going to paint ourselves into a corner and say that we’ll never ban expensive cards, but we can say categorically that we do not want to ban cards, that staples are part of commander (the card pool is incredibly large), and that we will try to keep the format stable going forward unless those cards are causing large problems.
For most of these cards, players were either unaware that the RC viewed the cards as "causing problems" or players had complained about the cards for long enough that they just assumed that the RC wasn't interested in banning them.

Oversoul

The Tentacled One
So, if I'd known how this was all going to blow up, I should probably have started this whole thread with some context. That FAQ the RC published hints at it, but doesn't really tell the story. There's a bit of strange phrasing snuck into the FAQ...

While this set of bannings does have a large impact on the cEDH/tEDH metagame
Anyone reading this who hadn't previously seen the term "tEDH" is in good company. I believe that "tournament EDH" first showed up several years ago as an alternative term for "competitive EDH." Most cEDH isn't played in a tournament setting, but there was theoretically no real distinction between a tournament competitive deck and a regular competitive deck, so the spelling with a "t" never really caught on. It was a dead synonym, and things seemed to stay that way for years.

A perennial discussion in the cEDH community is the proposal that cEDH should break away from traditional Commander and curate their own ban list. The typical rebuttal to this is that cEDH has grown to become successful because it's not a format, but simply occupies the top end of Magic's most popular format. Casual players sometimes "graduate" to cEDH, so the competitive side of the format is being fed by the casual side. It was argued that if a group of competitive players tried to form their own cEDH ruleset, most cEDH players would ignore it and would continue to play the "official" version of the format with a competitive focus.

This argument has been going on for years, but it really seemed like the naysayers had a point: cEDH shares all the same rules as ordinary EDH, just with the added premise that everyone at the table is playing competitively. Players could and would still do that, and most of the ones doing so wouldn't be interested in trying to participate in some offshoot format instead. From my own experience over the years, the whole argument seemed fruitless. After some disappointing tournament results increased the perception that cEDH had gone stale, the argument resurfaced, but with a twist: if enough enthusiasm was generated for tournaments run under a different ruleset, then players could effectively force a schism. They wouldn't need cEDH to break away from EDH, but merely for tEDH to break away from cEDH. When I first saw the announcement, noticed the timing, but figured that the RC wasn't actually paying attention to the attempted cEDH/tEDH breakup. I reasoned that this argument was still just noise to them, and that the timing was probably a coincidence.

Seeing them actually mention "tEDH" here, I'm not so sure. It's a term that had effectively died out. Giving it the nod here seemed strange. I don't think that the RC rushed these bans out or that their decision was overtly influenced by the cEDH/tEDH debacle. However, it might be the case that some committee members were motivated to push for the four simultaneous bans here instead of just banning one or two of these cards and waiting to see how that played out. I guess it "sent a stronger message."

Oversoul

The Tentacled One
Now onto the bomb WotC dropped last week...

Wizards of the Coast said:
The past week has been tumultuous for Commander fans, members of the Commander Rules Committee, and the Magic community as a whole. Along the way, we've seen players and fans share a diverse range of passionate opinions—far too many of which were harmful or malicious.

Below and over the next few days and weeks, we will be discussing quite a bit about Commander, starting with the most pressing: Over the past week, the conversation has escalated, culminating with unacceptable personal threats to the safety of members of the Commander Rules Committee. This is something we will not tolerate. No matter how you feel about something in Magic, it is never appropriate to threaten somebody. Everyone at Wizards of the Coast is united on this front—we will not hesitate to take action against individuals who threaten to harm community members or employees.
I don't want to get bogged down on the whole topic of threats against people involved because I just don't think that it's interesting or useful to do so. I've followed this issue online from its outset. As far as I know, there have been no publicly released threats of violence against anyone. No one came to the table with receipts. I say this not to cast doubt on the existence of any threats, but rather to point out that the scope and nature of threats is unknown, at least to the Magic community. Several years ago in another context, I saw a lot of noise made about "death threats" and all of the actual examples that were provided in a public forum were statements along the lines of "I hope you die" or "I hate you and you should burn in Hell." Such comments, while rude, definitely aren't actually threats. So now whenever I hear that there were "threats" I'm immediately inclined to reserve my judgment until I've seen some details.

The Commander format has become huge. While Nadu was a non-issue, banning the other three cards meant that the average Commander player probably had some deck become illegal, and it was a financial hit to a lot of players. The Commander Rules Committee suddenly made an unexpected announcement that affected millions of people in total. It is unsurprising that a few of those people are deranged. So I'd expect that some real threats really were made. I'm comfortable with the legal system being used to call the individuals responsible to account for their actions. But I'm not inclined to let anyone use the invocation of such death threats as a shield to deflect criticism. The members of the RC don't deserve to be harassed. The same goes for the CAG, and for WotC employees, for that matter. Valid criticism still stands.

This week has also demonstrated the truly monumental task that faced the Commander Rules Committee. The Commander RC is made up of five talented, caring individuals, all with other jobs and lives which they must balance with managing the most popular format in Magic. It results in incredible amounts of work, time spent deliberating, and exposure to the public.
I've seen this sentiment before, and I still find it ridiculous. Casting the RC as "unpaid volunteers" is technically accurate, but misleading. There were never "incredible amounts of work." Most of these people have historically had little to no public exposure. Sheldon Menery was the only real face of the RC, and when he stepped back due to cancer, no one stepped forward to take on that role. I can't know the extent of the deliberation process that the RC used, but I scoff at the notion that it's volunteer work because other people really do volunteer work in the real world, and this isn't comparable. I'll say it again: these people did nothing for three years. Not because anyone blocked them from acting. Not because they were so busy with "incredible amounts of work." It was because they didn't want to.

Nobody deserves to feel unsafe for supporting the game they love. Unfortunately, the task of managing Commander has far outgrown the scope and safety of being attached to any five people.
There is no evidence of any safety issue.

So today, in partnership with members of the existing Rules Committee, we are announcing that the Rules Committee is giving management of the Commander format to the game design team of Wizards of the Coast.

Commander has always been a community-focused format, and this move in management does not change that.

While ownership of the format may be changing, members of the Rules Committee and others in the community will continue to be involved, and the vision for a social format will not change. We've had some preliminary conversations already about what we would like to accomplish and have some ideas we will be rolling out together in the months to come.

Working with the community to craft this format is critical to all of us. We have opened a new Discord channel on the official Magic Discord (in the #Commander_News channel) and will also have a WeeklyMTG stream talking about this tomorrow, October 1, at 10 a.m. PT on Twitch.tv/Magic.

What's Next?
While this is still very early, we do want to share one of the things we've just started working on with the Rules Committee: a more objective approach to deck power level and additional guidance and shared language for players to find games that match the type of game they're trying to play.

It isn't anywhere near finished yet, but, as part of building this with the community, we're opening it up for feedback, thoughts, and your version of how this will look. Think of this like an open beta.

Here's the idea: There are four power brackets, and every Commander deck can be placed in one of those brackets by examining the cards and combinations in your deck and comparing them to lists we'll need community help to create. You can imagine bracket one is the baseline of an average preconstructed deck or below and bracket four is high power. For the lower tiers, we may lean on a mixture of cards and a description of how the deck functions, and the higher tiers are likely defined by more explicit lists of cards.

For example, you could imagine bracket one has cards that easily can go in any deck, like Swords to Plowshares , Grave Titan , and Cultivate , whereas bracket four would have cards like Vampiric Tutor , Armageddon , and Grim Monolith , cards that make games too much more consistent, lopsided, or fast than the average deck can engage with.
The "bracket system" concept has generally been treated with skepticism from what I've seen. For my part, I'm optimistic about this. It's too early to tell, but I'll explain my thoughts on brackets in a bit. Overall, I think that this could be a good move.

In this system, your deck would be defined by its highest-bracket card or cards. This makes it clear what cards go where and what kinds of cards you can expect people to be playing. For example, if Ancient Tomb is a bracket-four card, your deck would generally be considered a four. But if it's part of a Tomb-themed deck, the conversation may be "My deck is a four with Ancient Tomb but a two without it. Is that okay with everyone?"

Will this system guarantee perfectly matched games? No, and that might be fine at your table, but if it gets the conversation started from a shared understanding, that's already great for the table.

We would love to hear what you all think about this and which power brackets you would place certain cards in.
I might try to actually compose something for this. Not sure yet. I need to give it more thought.

We will also be evaluating the current banned card list alongside both the Commander Rules Committee and the community. We will not ban additional cards as part of this evaluation. While discussion of the banned list started this, immediate changes to the list are not our priority.
Makes sense. I wouldn't expect them to make big changes so soon.

For now, the safety and well-being of the Rules Committee is the priority. What has happened this past week is entirely unacceptable. By working together as a team, we can shoulder the responsibility of this format and everything that comes along with it.
Hopefully this will be the last I'll have to touch on this subject. In case it's not obvious, and despite anything they've said to the contrary, WotC is not responsible for the safety of people who don't work for them and aren't on their property. They also can't actually do anything in this situation.