Archenemy: Nicol Bolas (Oversoul) vs Gatewatch (Spidey, Melkor, rokapoke)

Oversoul

The Tentacled One
+3 Nicol Bolas to get rid of Melkor's sword. That thing could poke someone's eye out.

Done.

Nicol Bolas, God Emperor of Dune: 41
Hand: 5
Library: 42
Battlefield:

(U) Swamp
(U) Dragonskull Summit (~ etb tapped unless I control a swamp or a mountain. T: adds B or R to my mana pool.)
(U) Highland Lake (~ etb tapped. T: adds U or R to my mana pool.)
(U) Crumbling Necropolis (~ etb tapped. T: adds U, B, or R to my mana pool.)
(U) Submerged Boneyard (~ etb tapped. T: adds U or B to my mana pool.)
(U) Grixis Panorama (T: adds C to my mana pool. 1,T,sac: searches my library for a basic island, swamp, or mountain and puts it onto the battlefield tapped, then I shuffle my library.)

(U) Obelisk of Grixis (T: adds U, B, or R to my mana pool.)

(U) Nicol Bolas, Planeswalker (Roar, I am a dragon) *8 loyalty counters*

(U) Baleful Strix (1/1; Flying, deathtouch. When ~ etb, draw a card.)
(T) Horror token (3/3; attacks Melkor if able.)
(T) Horror token (3/3; attacks Spidey if able.)
(T) Horror token (3/3; attacks Rokapoke if able.)
(S) Horror token (3/3)
(S) Beast token (3/3)

Graveyard: Vampire Nighthawk, Lightning Bolt, Cinder Barrens, Extract from Darkness
Exile:
----------------------------------------------------------------------
Melkor: 22
Hand: 4
Battlefield:

(T,T,U) Forest x3
(T,T,U) Island x3

(U) Thragtusk (5/3; When ~ etb, gain 5 life. When ~ ltb, create a 3/3 green Beast creature token.)

Graveyard: Sixth Sense, Island, Scute Mob, Khalni Heart Expedition, Cultivate, Ior Ruin Expedition, Sword of the Animist
Exile:
Spidey: 17
Hand: 3
Library: 46
Battlefield:

(U,U,U,U,U) Mt x5

(T) Pathmaker Initiate (2/1; T: Target creature with power 2 or less can't be blocked this turn)

Graveyard: Coordinated Assault, Skaargan Firebird, Volcanic Geyser, Mountain, Chandra's Outrage
Exile:
rokapoke: 22
Library: 45 - corrected library size by Spidey
Battlefield:

(U,U,U,U,U) Plains x5

(T) Anointer of Champions (1/1; T: Target attacking creature gets +1/+1 ueot)
(S) Vizier of Deferment (2/2; Human Cleric; Flash. When ~ enters the battlefield, you may exile target creature if it attacked or blocked this turn. Return that card to the battlefield under its owner's control at the beginning of the next end step.)

Graveyard: Fiendslayer Paladin, Plains, Plains, Aerial Responder
Exile:

Spiderman

Administrator
Staff member
Untap, upkeep, Draw

rokapoke casts Relief Captain.
Responses?

Battlefield:

(U) Swamp
(U) Dragonskull Summit (~ etb tapped unless I control a swamp or a mountain. T: adds B or R to my mana pool.)
(U) Grixis Panorama (T: adds C to my mana pool. 1,T,sac: searches my library for a basic island, swamp, or mountain and puts it onto the battlefield tapped, then I shuffle my library.)

(S) Horror token (3/3)
(S) Beast token (3/3)

Graveyard: Vampire Nighthawk, Lightning Bolt, Cinder Barrens, Extract from Darkness
Exile:
Library: 41
Battlefield:

(U,U,U) Forest x3
(U,U,U) Island x3

(U) Thragtusk (5/3; When ~ etb, gain 5 life. When ~ ltb, create a 3/3 green Beast creature token.)

Graveyard: Sixth Sense, Island, Scute Mob, Khalni Heart Expedition, Cultivate, Ior Ruin Expedition, Sword of the Animist
Exile:
Library: 45
Battlefield:

(U,U,U,U,U) Mt x5

(U) Pathmaker Initiate (2/1; T: Target creature with power 2 or less can't be blocked this turn)

Graveyard: Coordinated Assault, Skaargan Firebird, Volcanic Geyser, Mountain, Chandra's Outrage
Exile:
Library: 44
Battlefield:

(T,T,T,T,U) Plains x5

(U) Anointer of Champions (1/1; T: Target attacking creature gets +1/+1 ueot)
(U) Vizier of Deferment (2/2; Human Cleric; Flash. When ~ enters the battlefield, you may exile target creature if it attacked or blocked this turn. Return that card to the battlefield under its owner's control at the beginning of the next end step.)
(S) Relief Captain (3/2; Kor Knight Ally; When ~ enters the battlefield, support 3 (put a +1/+1 counter on each of up to three other target creatures))

Exile:

Spiderman

Administrator
Staff member
Melkor plays Woodland Stream and casts Vastwood Zendikon on one of his Forests. Responses?

Battlefield:

(U) Swamp

(S) Horror token (3/3)
(S) Beast token (3/3)

Exile:
Battlefield:

(T,T) Forest x2
(T,T,T) Island x3
(T) Woodland Stream (~ ETB tapped.; T: Add G or U to my mana pool)
(U) Forest (Elemental; 6/4) *Enchanted w/Vastwood Zendikon*

Vastwood Zendikon (Enchant land; Enchanted land is a 6/4 green Elemental creature. It's still a land.; When enchanted land dies, return that card to its owner's hand)

(U) Thragtusk (6/4 from ctr; When ~ etb, gain 5 life. When ~ ltb, create a 3/3 green Beast creature token.) *1 +1/+1 ctr*

Exile:
Battlefield:

(U,U,U,U,U) Mt x5

(U) Pathmaker Initiate (3/2 from ctr; T: Target creature with power 2 or less can't be blocked this turn) *1 +1/+1 ctr*

Exile:
Battlefield:

(T,T,T,T,U) Plains x5

(U) Vizier of Deferment (3/3 from ctr; Human Cleric; Flash. When ~ enters the battlefield, you may exile target creature if it attacked or blocked this turn. Return that card to the battlefield under its owner's control at the beginning of the next end step.) *1 +1/+1 ctr*
(S) Relief Captain (3/2; Kor Knight Ally; When ~ enters the battlefield, support 3 (put a +1/+1 counter on each of up to three other target creatures))

Exile:

Spiderman

Administrator
Staff member
Again!

I assume that means no responses to the Zendikon.

Spidey plays Smoldering Spires, targeting the Strix. Responses?

Battlefield:

(U) Swamp

(S) Horror token (3/3)
(S) Beast token (3/3)

Exile:
Battlefield:

(T,T) Forest x2
(T,T,T) Island x3
(U) Forest (Elemental; 6/4) *Enchanted w/Vastwood Zendikon*

Vastwood Zendikon (Enchant land; Enchanted land is a 6/4 green Elemental creature. It's still a land.; When enchanted land dies, return that card to its owner's hand)

(U) Thragtusk (6/4 from ctr; When ~ etb, gain 5 life. When ~ ltb, create a 3/3 green Beast creature token.) *1 +1/+1 ctr*

Exile:
Battlefield:

(U,U,U,U,U) Mt x5
(T) Smoldering Spires (~ ETB tapped.; When ~ ETB, target creature can't block this turn.; T: Add R to my mana pool)

(U) Pathmaker Initiate (3/2 from ctr; T: Target creature with power 2 or less can't be blocked this turn) *1 +1/+1 ctr*

Exile:
Battlefield:

(T,T,T,T,U) Plains x5

(U) Vizier of Deferment (3/3 from ctr; Human Cleric; Flash. When ~ enters the battlefield, you may exile target creature if it attacked or blocked this turn. Return that card to the battlefield under its owner's control at the beginning of the next end step.) *1 +1/+1 ctr*

Exile:

R

rokapoke

Uh, I didn't think I even got priority at this point. :confused:
Sure, because there's always that last opportunity to tap creatures before they could attack. Maybe it's at the end of the first main phase?

I'm now realizing that I probably haven't consulted the actual rules of Magic since I was in college. So we're talking 15ish years... ouch, I'm old!

Oversoul

The Tentacled One
Or wait, it occurs to me now that you could also mean to ask if I have responses before moving to the Declare Attackers step, rather than during the Declare Attackers step but before you've actually declared any attackers. I initially thought that you were saying you were already in Declare Attackers but were freezing it to ask about responses before actually declaring the attackers, which I thought I couldn't do even if I wanted to.

Either way, no responses. Presumably something is going to attack me and/or other me.

Spiderman

Administrator
Staff member
LOL. Things would have been made clearer (perhaps) if I said "Declare Combat". Your post above describes my intent though, to allow you any last responses before moving to the Combat Phase (I think that's what it's called).

So now we will actually Declare Attackers as everyone who's able except the Anointer; the Forest which is Zendikon'd, Thragtusk, Pathmaker, and Vizier. I'm sure there's an actual technical way to do/say/express this but the intent is that they are all attacking Nicol Bolas.

Responses/blocks/take it?

Battlefield:

(U) Swamp

(S) Horror token (3/3)
(S) Beast token (3/3)

Exile:
Battlefield:

(T,T) Forest x2
(T,T,T) Island x3
(T,A) Forest (Elemental; 6/4) *Enchanted w/Vastwood Zendikon*

(T,A) Thragtusk (6/4 from ctr; When ~ etb, gain 5 life. When ~ ltb, create a 3/3 green Beast creature token.) *1 +1/+1 ctr*

Exile:
Battlefield:

(U,U,U,U,U) Mt x5
(T) Smoldering Spires (~ ETB tapped.; When ~ ETB, target creature can't block this turn.; T: Add R to my mana pool)

(T,A) Pathmaker Initiate (3/2 from ctr; T: Target creature with power 2 or less can't be blocked this turn) *1 +1/+1 ctr*

Exile:
Battlefield:

(T,T,T,T,U) Plains x5

(T,A) Vizier of Deferment (3/3 from ctr; Human Cleric; Flash. When ~ enters the battlefield, you may exile target creature if it attacked or blocked this turn. Return that card to the battlefield under its owner's control at the beginning of the next end step.) *1 +1/+1 ctr*

Exile: