Anti-Loot Box Law

Discussion in 'Current Events' started by turgy22, May 9, 2019.

1. turgy22 Nothing Special

2. Mooseman Isengar Tussle

Kind of agree with this bill. Many games use this as their business model.
  3. Spiderman CPA Man in Tights, Dopey Administrative Assistant

I haven't really thought about it much because I don't buy anything of the few games that I play that have this kind of thing, and I watch what my kids spend in games. But if pressed, I'd say the choice should be the players/parents - no one's forcing anyone to buy them and if someone feels they "need" to have it, it should be explained that they don't and/or they need to play something else.
  4. turgy22 Nothing Special

I'm in agreement with Spidey on this one.
    I think the proposed law will be very popular with groups of people who get up in arms every time some feature like loot boxes is introduced, but I think it's a bad idea to regulate this sort of thing.
    The best argument would be that these practices prey on youth who aren't responsible with their spending, but I've always felt that parents need to take a more active role in monitoring their kids' behavior. If your kid's spending hundreds or thousands of dollars to get ahead in an online game, that's on you to stop; not the government.
    I'm also opposed from a personal perspective. I do spend a lot of time playing "freemium" games and love that I can enjoy these games for free because other people are willing to shell out the money to fund them. I know I'll never be in that top tier of players, but I'm okay with that because I enjoy the grind. If other people need to reach the highest levels and are willing to pull out their wallets to get there, I'm okay with that.
    Finally, I just got to say that my experience tells me whenever the government gets involved in this sort of thing, it's only going to get screwed up.