Forum Software Change

Spiderman

Administrator
Staff member
This is different than what vB did. I don't really want to create 2 buttons for the distinction so I'm not sure what to do here.
It's not two different buttons, just the same button renamed. You already have the reply box under the thread so it's obvious that you reply there (or check the Go Advanced button). But I was looking for the Quote button and found it after mousing-over the Reply button, so I was just thinking renaming it to "Reply w/Quotes" or "Quotes" or whatever would make it clearer what that button is actually doing, since it's not just a simple Reply.

I think this is just down to it not keeping your read data from vB (the data was stored on your computer, so it'd be possible). If you come back later/tomorrow to read replies, can you let me know if it happens again?
Sure, I'll check later or tomorrow :)

Not at this point. It's mostly beneficial for server performance; I didn't think it was particularly useful for users. How do you use it?
Well, I used it to "weed" out the threads that I didn't really need to see - I wasn't interested in threads older than 2 weeks and kept the Thread display pretty short. I guess I liked having that option - not sure if anyone else used it (a lot of other people seemed to use the Latest Active Thread/Post button...)

Oversoul

The Tentacled One
I actually remember being annoyed that the default was to not show threads that hadn't been active for a certain amount of time because to find a thread I'd have to go and click the thing to show posts since "from the beginning." Never really saw the point to the other options. Although for all I know it would have been possible to set my preference to have the default be to show posts from the beginning and I was too lazy to bother figuring out how to do it?

T

theorgg

I have to say that this is easy on the eyes. And that Ransac looks very different than he did when I knew him.

Also, on editing(which I'm doing now), having it allow you to edit on the main screen where the post is located is nice, littlerubberguys.com (a toy collecting board) functions like that.

EDIT 1:
I'd suggest an icon beside the thread names for any and all stickied/pinned threads.

EDIT 2: I'd also suggest a 'forum jump' box at the bottom of each thread. and if it doesn't note when something was edited, or if it was edited, I'd have that functionality, too.

Mooseman

Isengar Tussle
OK, I think the style is fine, maybe it just needs a little tweeking. Of course the big change is a little hard to get used to, but then the old one took a while too.

The one thing I am finding alittle tough is that individual posts don't have anything to differentiate them from the post before and after.... this is in the forums. A box around the posts would be nice or at least arounf the text and the taglines can be outside the box.

It is easier to just copy and paste game stuff, instead of quoting things. Although I can't see anyway to do the mark up stuff anymore.... like [/quote].

All in all it's pretty cool, but could you set it up to do MLM and generate residual income for us? :)

Oversoul

The Tentacled One
The one thing I am finding alittle tough is that individual posts don't have anything to differentiate them from the post before and after.... this is in the forums.
There are totally blue lines separating each post from the one above it and the one below it. Maybe your old eyes just can't spot them...

Spiderman

Administrator
Staff member
Could be a browser thing, I have very faint blue lines separating the posts.

With threads that have multiple pages, can the pages be displayed more prominantly in the title of the thread? Right now, I can only see them when I mouse over the title next to to the author and date. Unless that's a browser thing too...

I second the idea of having the Sticky threads stand out a bit more, like the Pin icon or something.

Ed Sullivan

CPA Founder, Web Guy
Staff member
Plus there's the presence of the avatar block on the left at the top of each post, but point noted.

The sticky, closed, moderated, redirect, etc threads will get an icon at some point. Still trying to figure out what will work. :) In terms of making sticky threads stand out, if you make them stand out too much, they actually get ignored; it's a common problem. We're trying to make them more subtle. The icon should make it easy to notice (rather than text).

The pages with the thread title are a work in progress. We understand using the last page as a "target", though it's nice to have a cleaner layout. We looked at demphasizing them until hover, but that has issues in IE (6 and 7 in particular)... which happens to be what you're using anyway. :)

J

Jakeman

The "Remove formatting" button in the editor doesn't appear to be working.

I have also noticed a few querks with the preservation of rich formatting in the editor. I assume the wysiwyg isn't fully functional yet. In many cases the editor correctly shows rich text that I have pasted, but then it isn't preserved when I actually post.

edit - I am using Firefox 3.0.6 on Debian

Ed Sullivan

CPA Founder, Web Guy
Staff member
In the process of fixing the members' list and fair point on the privacy page.

Remove formatting works for me. What formatting are you trying to remove? The WYSIWYG is fully functioning, so what are you having problems pasting in? I'd need the actual HTML being pasted in, or at least the page/content you're pasting from to reproduce it.

J

Jakeman

Remove formatting works for me. What formatting are you trying to remove? The WYSIWYG is fully functioning, so what are you having problems pasting in? I'd need the actual HTML being pasted in, or at least the page/content you're pasting from to reproduce it.
I noticed it when copying "People Who May Edit Your Personal Details" from the privacy page:

http://www.casualplayers.org/forums/settings/privacy

Then I pasted it into the editor and it correctly appeared as two lines, the first of which was bolded, the second was hyperlinked. But none of that formatting survives posting. Here is what happens when I copy / paste / post that text:

People Who May...
Edit Your Personal Details

edit - also, the "remove formatting" doesn't work when I try to use it on this same text. The text still appears rich in the editor after clicking the button. It doesn't survive posting either way though.

Spiderman

Administrator
Staff member
I'd like to have the post number back on each post in a thread. Also, the option to remove one's signature from a post.

E

EricBess

In terms of making sticky threads stand out, if you make them stand out too much, they actually get ignored; it's a common problem. We're trying to make them more subtle. The icon should make it easy to notice (rather than text).
I really like the overall feel, but I agree there are things that need to be worked out. My issue isn't so much the sticky posts as the fact that the differences are subtle between a thread with new posts and a thread with no new posts. I can tell which are which, but only if I pay attention. I would prefer that to stand out more so I didn't have to look so carefully.

If that stood out more, I don't think the sticky posts would be as big of a problem. Having sticky with new posts, then sticky without new posts, then non-sticky with posts, then non-sticky without posts, and having to pay close attention to which is which instead of that standing out...

Ed Sullivan

CPA Founder, Web Guy
Staff member
Threads with new posts in them should be showing up with a star icon (in addition to being bold). (If you're not seeing that, try a hard refresh with ctrl+f5 [assuming windows]).

Though to double check, what operating system and browser are you using?

J

Jakeman

I am not really one for social networking, but I really like how the social features are implemented in this software... resembling facebook and twitter in many respects. It is seemless and intuitive.

Mooseman

Isengar Tussle
I found a slight problem, when posting in the forums I accedentally hit the upload a file button and it did not have a way to cancel out of it. I had to hit escape to get out of it.
EDIT: This seems to be a problem with all the popups.
BTW - I am using Firefox 3.6.4

Also, I may be a dolt, but where is the spell checker?