Timeless:
  • No changes.
Brawl:
  • No changes.
Effective Date for Tabletop and Magic Online: August 26, 2024

Effective Date for MTG Arena: August 27, 2024

Oversoul

The Tentacled One
Legacy can take a lot of power. The format sees play with some of the game's most powerful cards. But regardless of how powerful your cards are, you need to be able to cast them to take advantage of them. Much like in Modern, Grief prevents players from being able to do that.

While folks in Modern use narrow cards like Malakir Rebirth or Ephemerate to take advantage of Grief's manaless evoke ability, Legacy has Reanimate and Animate Dead backed up with protective elements like Daze and Force of Will. Various flavors of Reanimator strategies have long been viable in Legacy, but they have been generally kept in check by the strongest anti-graveyard cards ever printed being widely available. Grief presents a threat that synergizes well with reanimation effects while being able to attack the hate cards opponents would traditionally present.

Simply put, Legacy has not been able to self-correct to handle the powerful combination of Grief and Reanimate. With Dimir Reanimator's ever-growing metagame share, we've decided to ban Grief in Legacy.

Again, as in Modern, we considered a handful of other cards for this round of changes. We looked at the new Eldrazi deck, featuring several Modern Horizons 3 cards, and talked a lot about Psychic Frog . However, Grief and Reanimator is such a large part of the current Legacy metagame that we wanted to make the clear and obvious change to the format before making further changes. Specifically, Grief and Psychic Frog are featured together in Dimir Reanimator. Psychic Frog also appears in various Delver shells, but it stands to reason that it should have a smaller metagame presence once Grief has been removed.
Instead of lambasting WotC for leaving Earthcraft on the list for the past twenty years or for pushing the power level of these "Modern Horizons" sets past absurdity, I'm going to use this to highlight something much more important. WotC, it's time we had that talk...

I might well be the only person who didn't want Grief banned in Legacy at this point. I know that it's been the subject of a lot of derision in the community. And one thing I keep coming back to with analyses like the ones I see in this announcement, and ones I see from the community too, is how awfully inbred the metagame is. It's actually not hard for me to find tournament results showing that Grief doesn't really dominate the format. But those are usually infrequent tournaments in Europe or Japan, held in-person with real, honest Magic cards. Those results get drowned out in a sea of MTGO tournaments, and those are the ones that WotC is using to inform their decisions. A lot of people who have done far more quantitative work than I ever have on this stuff have noted some lasting and extremely strong trends when it comes to which decks perform well on MTGO and which ones show up in "paper" tournaments.

This has become too big of a gulf for it to just get averaged out. And MTGO results are simply too numerous. At some point, you've got to decide which is the real format. I contend that it should be the one with real cards.