Traveling around the world!

Where is the best place to go? (I love these polls!)

• JAPAN

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • HOLLAND

• USA

• Anywhere you can afford

• You mean there are countries outside the USA!

• I HATE TRAVELING :mad:

• Total voters
D

Daggertooth

Hi all,

I've been thinking that I'd like to do a bit-o traveling. I alwayse hear rumors about how some people find nice round way tickets for dirt cheap, like a $200 round trip to europe. But I never know where to find these. Does anyone know where the best deals are?

I'm Plannin out of the country(USA). Probably Japan or Holland since I have family over there. I think the best place for me to go is to Japan. I haven't been there for 6 years and I owe the country another visit. While I'm there I think I'll see how they handle the Appocalyps Prerelease. That should be fun:D The only problem is that I'd get my butt kicked. Being illiterate in the language the cards are printed in can be quite a dissadvantage. :)

Daggertooth

G

Griffith_se

I vote Holland. I spent 6 weeks in Japan and hated every minute.
No offense to Japan, I just couldn't adapt to there culture.

D

Darsh

I'm turnin' Japanese I think I'm turnin' Japanese I really think so.
At least thats where I would like to go.

D

Daggertooth

I think I'm going to consentrate on Japan. Like I said, Its been a while since I've been there. I was at holland Last Summer. And besides, Japan is the only place I have cousins. I do have relatives in holland, but no one my age. I'll have to buy one of those self language teaching things. I hate being illiterate.

The main problem I see with japan is that everyone is a workahollic. My Cousin spent his entire summer Vacation (like 3 weeks or something) doing homework.

Thats Crazy. And that being said by an "Undisiplined Rude American" :)

Daggertooth

C

Cateran Emperor

Weird, I have no problem adapting to other cultures. Guess it comes from majoring in Politics/Psychology ;) I'm lucky enough to know how to avoid the 'ugly American syndrome'. A few tips, for whereever you go:

1. Know at least basic phrases BEFORE you go. Pulling out a phrasebook while in front of a native will knock you down several notches.

2. Grammar also helps. You can get away with bad grammar, but at least use logical sentence sructure (don't assume everything goes in the same order it would in English)

3. Never, NEVER do what I just did, that being repeat yourself louder to try reinforcing what you're trying to say.

4. Regardless of your objections, keep an open mind. Bear in mind that you are a visitor, and as such you should be respectful. At the same time, don't do the exact opposite, that being drawing huge amounts of attention to the fact that you are a visitor.

5. Tying in with number 4, don't be a tourist. Making a big deal out of things which are everyday occurances in the land you visit is the easiest way to make a fool of yourself. Simply act dignified and calm, and don't try to point out how different your own land is unless pressed.

6. Another way to make yourself look like an imbecile is to point humorously at things and say how strange it seems. Singling out something can be a bad thing in some cases, particularly things that are supposed to be secret or any such things.

Of course, if you wish to know very bluntly how not to be a tourist in one large blaknet statement, it can be summed up very easily:

Be respectful, not just of a culture but of each person near you.

You'll make a lot more friends by not butting in when other people are talking. This holds just as true in Japan or Holland or any other land as it does in America. The ugly American isn't respectful, and as such makes it worse for the rest of us. I'd hope you'll do our country proud.

Oh by the way, if you ignore me, at least remember that you can run to the US Embassy in the nation and call for asylum...

Spiderman

Administrator
Staff member
I don't know where the best place is to go and it sounds like you made up your mind, but I hear Australia's nice... as for cheap airfare, look on the web or contact a travel agent.

B

Baskil

I concur with Spidey here, Australia is the place to go for native speakers of English. There are just way too many things to do there.

I had the time of my life when I went there.

I really want to go back to Australia sometime.