The new format...

Oversoul

The Tentacled One
The new format is awesome! I am referring, of course, to the new version of Type 1.5.

I might try to build only decks that are legal in this format (except my Type I tournament deck I'm working on). My friend and I already built a Countersliver deck for this format. I like the concept of using the entire cardpool, but banning the broken expensive cards. It's very close to what I've already been playing, since I could not afford the expensive brokenness...

Hopefully they unban Oath of Druids though. That's the only one I'm really thinking should be unbanned. Land Tax and a few other cards are possible choices for unbanning as well, but overall the list is pretty good. I'm looking forward to this format. Hope it catches on...

Anyway, our Countersliver deck is looking prety good. I don't have a definitive decklist at the moment, but I think the archetype can be competitive in the new format. I'm looking for sideboard suggestions particularly.

Also, what does the CPA think of the new format? What decks will emerge as tier 1?

Spiderman

Administrator
Staff member
Haven't really thought about. Don't play competitively in that format and my group generally plays Type 1 casual following the B/R lists there (with the exception of some house rules).

Oversoul

The Tentacled One
The problem with Type I is that cards like Moxes, Workshops, Mana Drains, Time Walk, etc. are kind of hard to come by. This format is budget, but without limiting the cardpool otherwise, as Extended or Standard would...

The most expensive staples in this format that I can think of would be the dual lands, and those can be done without by playing monocolored and stuff...

Spiderman

Administrator
Staff member
We don't have any of those cards anyway (well, one guy has a couple of moxes but never play). It's really just a formality - most of them play with the cards from the newest sets. Only me and another guy really stretch back to the old cards.

Oversoul

The Tentacled One
So you play by rules designed for Type I, but don't really play Type I. Well, not competitively anyway...

If this format is a hit, it will be I think much more similar to what you already play than actual Type I, which is filled with expensive brokenness and always has been...

H

Homestar

im all into type 2 since i started playing on mirrodin, but i also am into extended cuz i like older cards.

I guess it just doesnt excite me to much

T

train

I like some of the changes - but think they should ban things like force of will, counterspell, mana drain, etc...

I'm still looking to pick up more duals - but wouldn't be surprised if crucible of worlds became some sort of restricted card in the near future(I don't remember it on the list)...

there's a lot of manipulation with that sucker...

H

Homestar

yea im workin on a highlander deck that plays crucible to fix my mana with crucible and all the onslaught lands like windswept heath and stuff and then all dual lands. thats the best way ive found to abuse crucible,

o and krosan verge with crucible is good.

T

train

crucible, fastbond - that's the best way to abuse crucible...

then you can breka lands - Academy, strip mine, etc...

C

Captain Caveman

"Also, what does the CPA think of the new format? What decks will emerge as tier 1?"

The format sounds interesting. I'm not sure what decks will be Tier One but my guess would be Blue will play a large roll in the top decks to beat. Madness and Tog might be good. Of course, you can never count mono-blue control out.

Test Gauntlet: Forbidian v1.0

4 Counterspell
3 Forbid
4 Force of Will
3 Force Spike
4 Brainstorm
4 Impulse
4 Ophidian
2 Rainbow Efreet
3 Powder Keg
1 Nevinyrral's Disk
2 Treachery

4 Thawing Glaciers
4 Wasteland
4 Mishra's Factory
14 Island

EDIt: Stupid Combo too,

4 Iso Scepter
4 Words of Wisdom
4 Brainstorm
4 Accumulated Knowledge
4 Impulse
3 Opt
4 Reset
4 Turnabout
4 High Tide
1 Chain of Vapor
4 Brain Freeze
20 Island

T

train

Blue will play a large roll in the top decks to beat. Madness and Tog might be good. Of course, you can never count mono-blue control out.
No surprise here...:rolleyes: :mad:

I really think they should rethink brainstorm, mystical tutor, and the sorts... for restriction again...

E

Ephraim

I'm far more suprised by unrestricted Enlightened Tutor. Most (not all) of the really broken instants and sorceries are already banned in the format, so Mystical Tutor is good utility, but hardly broken. The format still has Survival of the Fittest, though, and artifacts are typically very strong. Of course, I don't expect to see Survival of the Fittest last all that long, if the blokes over at The Source and The Mana Drain have anything to say about it! The same goes for Doomsday, one of the cards fetchable by Mystical Tutor.

T

train

tutor can be a threat, but since it doesn't act "right away", if the enchantment/artifact is nullified via counter or destruction it's a 2 for 1 loss...

The mystical actually gets more use as blus has the card drawing to put the reults of the ttor to work right away... instead of waiting for it...

Granted the W/U mix would be most dangerous - and we'll probably see some of it... I think it has more to do with the color wheel aspects, and how that car'ds color can abuse it most...

doomsday on the other hand has me worried about a perpetual cycle you could use it for previously - but it falls prey to the same cycle killers any other cycle system does... only this time, most of your library is gone...

Oversoul

The Tentacled One
The countersliver deck was great, but I'm not a fan of aggro-control to begin with, and I didn't think it would have good matchups...

I tested High Tide a lot. It wasn't fast enough without Frantic Search. :(

I had really wanted it to work too...

I need to get some Survivals or something, I guess. I'm not sure what I want to play now in this format. My friend is working on Belcher.

I might try the monoblue control thing, since I have most cards that would be used in that sort of deck. For example, I have all of the cards on Captain Caveman's decklist minus 2 Kegs, 1 Treachery, the Factories, and the Wastelands...

Spiderman

Administrator
Staff member
Originally posted by Oversoul
So you play by rules designed for Type I, but don't really play Type I. Well, not competitively anyway...

If this format is a hit, it will be I think much more similar to what you already play than actual Type I, which is filled with expensive brokenness and always has been...
But that's the beauty of casual. We don't play with the "brokenness" mainly because of we don't have it in any great (or even moderate) quantities, but it allows us, who all have cards dating back to Alpha, to play at least one if we have it (not including the ante cards since we don't play for ante). With the new format, you have banned cards that aren't for ante and that's no good. I'd rather play with one of a card (and again, since we hardly have any it doesn't matter) than play in a format that has banned cards which we probably do have (actually don't know - will have to check the list again).

Oversoul

The Tentacled One
Yeah, I understand that sentiment very much. It's why Type I is my favorite format. I really like the new one too though, since there us no chance whatsoever of running up against expensive brokenness like Mana Drain and Black Lotus (which I have faced in casual play, albeit rarely). Also, some cards that have to be restricted in Type I, are left unbanned here, like Mox Diamond and Enlightened Tutor, which makes for a different breed of decks...

Plus if people want, they will be able to enter tournaments for this format with their decks. In Type I, budget decks tend to get slaughtered (with Fish being the most notable current exception, but that's very tough to play).

Spiderman

Administrator
Staff member
Heh, since I play pretty much MP casual, I don't think Mana Drain/Black Lotus/other cards in singles would be a problem. I think I mentioned it before, but half of the group tends to use the newest cards as expansions come out generally, just to see what they can do (I think). I would too if I got more Magic cards regularly also, but since I don't, I'm stuck with playing with my current card pool.

But I do think the new format will take off, now since the B/R list has been separated and different cards are on it from Vintage. Where they diverge is probably where most of the early decks will concentrate, like using the sub-tier mana and Survival and see how it all shakes out.

Oversoul

The Tentacled One
Why use the Type I restricted list at all? If your playgroup is as you describe, what you play is so far removed from competitive Type I that its restricted list can't really be applicable? Or would people still try to use things like Balance too much?

Spiderman

Administrator
Staff member
Honestly, I'm not exactly sure, but I think it's because they're on the list they're pretty powerful (of course, according to the tourney crowd :) ). I mean, we don't have a lot of the P9 but we do have some of the secondary cards like Balance, Sol Ring, etc. In fact, I tried to use 2 Sol Rings because I wasn't sure if we were using the list at first and although they let me play with them for the game, I had to adjust afterwards.

However, strangely enough, if a card's banned in Block AND on the B/R Vintage List, we can still use multiples of it. I think it's because two of them worked to get 4 Chrome Moxes when Mirrodin came out and they wanted to play with them :) No biggie, I played anti-artifact anyway so it didn't matter.