Open to suggestions for firing up CPA activity!

C

Child of Gaea

This was started a little in a different thread, but I would like to open things up and also entertain possible offers for help to get things a little more active around here. If you have any ideas or anything constructive to say in general, throw it out here! I'm prepared to offer whatever resources I can muster or whatever help may be appropriate. Let's hear from some of you long timers and newcomers!

Spiderman

Administrator
Staff member
Honestly, I think we need people who are knowledgable about current cards and the game to keep the board "fresh". Most of us still here no longer really play or if they do, not sure if they keep up with current cards (I'm thinking Mooseman and KJ primarily). Because of that, there's not really activity in the Magic-related forums like General talk or Deck help that can help most people who would keep the board alive. Why don't old-timers who "kind of" play and know older cards like us come here? Beats me... maybe they don't know about here or we're the few who fall specifically in that category... I can say that the most recent arrival has been the first in at least 6 months, maybe more, so people aren't even trying to apply, let alone stay.

So how do we get newer players here? There's probably going to have to be a recruiting campaign with people going to other Magic sites and putting out the word but for me, I can't do it, I have too much to do with other things (despite what it appears :) ) This is the only Magic forum site I visit; I go to WOTC's site but just the front page stuff, not their forums. Do other people here visit other Magic forum sites? I seem to remember most people saying they don't either but maybe that's changed or I'm remembering wrong... but someone's gonna have to do it if new life is to be breathed in here.

Oversoul

The Tentacled One
Well, we could do more forum games again, I suppose. I could be rather busy for the foreseeable future, but I can probably throw some decks together. Already have one for the next tribal game that still hasn't started...

You could try harassing Spiderman into building his next tribal deck already. That would be my preference, because I wouldn't have to build a new deck. Mine's been ready for, well, however long it's been.

Uh, we tried Commander at least twice, but never actually finished those games. Ransac bailed and caused the first one to stall out before I could murder everyone, and then we tried again with the (new at the time) Commander preconstructed decks, but DarthFerret had computer programs and that thread died out too.. We could try Commander again, and go for actually finishing a game. I've come to accept that I hate building highlander decks (I like playing them, but building them is just so much harder than building ordinary decks), but I happen to have all five of last year's Commander 2013 precons, so I could just use any of those.

Uh, we could do some sort of draft again. We've done some weird limited and constructed formats here in the past. I think we did Bring Your Own Block at some point? Or was it that we voted on conglomerate version of Standard and ran a tournament based around it? Maybe we did both of those. We also did that "CPA build a deck" thing, right? Oh hey, we could build a cube! Haven't done that before.

Anyone want to do any of those things? Or something else? Could be fun...

Spiderman

Administrator
Staff member
Fun as games are, in the long run I don't think that's the kind of activity that Child's talking about. I could play everyone here in Mindmaster games (and have, at one point) but people lose interest, have no time, etc. I think he's talking about getting more actual Magic discussion going and to do that, we need more people.

Oversoul

The Tentacled One
I think I did just one Mindmaster game, and the novelty wore off pretty quickly. How about that cube though? We'd need some sort of goal for the collaboration to make sense, but I'm sure someone else can come up with something...

C

Child of Gaea

Guys , I'm mostly just saying that if there is desire to bring more magic related activity than I am ready to help however. I have people skills enough to bring lots of new people, but once they get here then what? I have limited time due to the fact I manage a 2000 cow dairy farm, have 4 kids and a wife, 29 employees, and a want to have some time alone as well. This could be it. Maybe I can recruit more writers? Any idea, this place just holds a place in my heart and is still alive. Time for me to contribute again!

turgy22

Nothing Special
Force all your kids and employees to come here.

If anyone else here owns or manages a business, do the same with your employees. Everyone else needs to work on having more kids. Illegitimate ones count, too! After 8 or 9 generations, we should have a pretty decent group of people on here, assuming there isn't too much inbreeding.

Spiderman

Administrator
Staff member
Child said:
but once they get here then what?
Exactly. Although if they come over in bunches, maybe they can start discussions that will draw in other players, causing a self-perpetuating loop.