October 2018 Magic Tournament Rules Release Notes

Discussion in 'Rules Questions' started by Spiderman, Oct 2, 2018.

1. Spiderman CPA Man in Tights, Dopey Administrative Assistant

2. Mooseman Isengar Tussle

I used to care about these rules..... not so much anymore.
  3. Spiderman CPA Man in Tights, Dopey Administrative Assistant

Yeah, I know we're a "casual" site but we usually follow tournament rules anyway in our games (for the most part).
  4. Oversoul The Tentacled One

I think Mooseman was commenting on these detailed update announcements being of interest to him in the past in his role as a judge, and not saying that he doesn't follow the rules at all. I would guess that almost everyone who actually reads these notes is a current or former judge or TO, or is a very active competitive player known for being a rules guru or rules lawyer. Most tournament players seem not to study the rules that closely, and if something important happens (like when the rules had huge changes back in 2009), it is announced in a different format than these routine update notes anyway. This isn't to say that the notes are useless or that you shouldn't link to them. I, for one, have found them interesting and I usually don't visit the mothership site often enough to catch them, so it's been convenient for me that you link to them here. But my strong impression is that the vast majority of players, casual or tournament-focused, don't directly read through WotC postings about rules, preferring instead to rely on local judges or rules aficionados to keep them informed.

I generally skim these because I find some level of fascination in the efforts of the WotC rules people to make the rules comprehensive and consistent, but it's rare for me to read these notes all the way through.
  5. Mooseman Isengar Tussle

Oh, it's interesting enough, but, yeah, I don;t follow them like I did when I was judging/working events. Heck, I used to have long discussions with head judges and TO and a few of the WoTC people about the rules and the philosophies. They were great discussions. Keep posting Spidey, it was not a reflection on the post, more like oversoul said.
  6. Spiderman CPA Man in Tights, Dopey Administrative Assistant

I don't read through them myself; I'm just in the habit of posting "stuff" from WOTC :)

That one rule about when mulligan's changed was interesting though - never would have known it otherwise since no one here really talks about "the rules", but it's definitely useful for our games.
  7. Mooseman Isengar Tussle

When did mulligans change? Was it a while ago?
  8. Oversoul The Tentacled One

Summer of 2015.
  9. Spiderman CPA Man in Tights, Dopey Administrative Assistant

Yep, to us "old fogeys", that's a while ago :D
  10. Mooseman Isengar Tussle

Oh yeah they added the scry