No Images-Restriction Lifted on Some Members?

• Thread starter Budget Player Cadet
  • Start date
B

Budget Player Cadet

Now, I'm aware that posting images is disabled here (bot defense, I'm guessing; no offense, but it's a lame solution). But is it possible to make this restriction only apply to say, people with 20 or less posts? Something like that. Because I LIKE using pictures; either as mana symbols or renders for Homemade cards, or for epic threads like Demotivators or You Laugh, You Lose.

TomB

Administrator
Staff member
You can post images - you just can't post IMG code. I'm not sure about the exact details, but I am sure too many images would cost too much bandwidth (more than we currently pay for), and since Mike pays for the site out of his own pocket I figure having what we have is good enough for me...:)

B

Budget Player Cadet

Have to call you wrong on that one. Images not hosted on the CPA don't take bandwidth further than it would take to display a line of text; the bandwidth use comes from the site the image is stored on.

And how do I post images without the IMG code?

B

Budget Player Cadet

Now THAT sucks bandwidth and database space. I still think my suggestion is good.

Oversoul

The Tentacled One
Budget Player Cadet;274330 said:
Have to call you wrong on that one. Images not hosted on the CPA don't take bandwidth further than it would take to display a line of text; the bandwidth use comes from the site the image is stored on.
I recall reading a story about a website where a graphic of some sort was used without the owner's permission in one place and made it onto a MySpace deal where people were using it on their MySpace pages. When the guy running the original site realized what was sucking up his bandwidth, he renamed graphic and created a new graphic with the old name, but it was the infamous "goatse" picture, so all the people who inadvertently stole his bandwidth/graphic got an unpleasant surprise.

I don't know if it's true, but it's a cool story.

Spiderman

Administrator
Staff member
So are you saying someone here could use the IMG tag for an image and whoever's hosting it could change the pic so something else shows that's not intended?

B

Budget Player Cadet

Yeah. But that normally won't happen, plus Photobucket is generally pretty secure, no?

Spiderman

Administrator
Staff member
I guess, but there's no guarantee that anyone posting imgs would be using Photobucket...

But I guess 100+ post users would be pretty well-known anyway.