Looking for answers

J

JayEb333

Is it legal to make a shameless plug for my new casual MtG website, www.Mana-Burn.com? If I were allowed to plug this website, www.Mana-Burn.com, where could I post that I might tell people of its 4 webcomics (2 of which are MtG related), as well as its forums, articles, and store?

J

JayEb333

Okay, so here's my shameless plug:

For those of you who haven't already been, check out www.Mana-Burn.com. We're a brand new MtG website launched about 2 months ago dedicated to casual play. We offer articles, forums, and a store, and two of our resident webcomics, UG Madness and CoP: Newbs, are dedicated to Magic. Please, come have a look, and tell us what you think.

Okay, thats it. Was that shameless enough?

J

JayEb333

will he...

What kinds of cards are you offering, Train? Let's start talking numbers here.

but seriously, any site feedback?

Spiderman

Administrator
Staff member
On a quick glance, the front page looks good except for a slight scroll to the right (like a quarter of an inch). I usually don't check other Magic websites consistently except for magicthegathering's front page due to time, so I didn't explore anything.

Oversoul

The Tentacled One
Originally posted by Spiderman
On a quick glance, the front page looks good except for a slight scroll to the right (like a quarter of an inch). I usually check other Magic websites consistently except for magicthegathering's front page due to time, so I didn't explore anything.
Did you mean what you said there, because it looks like you meant something else...

Spiderman

Administrator
Staff member
yeah, 800x600. It's not that big of a deal, I'm probably spoiled by this site (which automatically sizes to the screen size, I believe) and perhaps other websites which do the same thing - very rarely do I have to scroll to the right when I go a-browsing.

Oversoul: Oops, forgot a "don't" in there. Thanks.

T

train

I'm offering spellfire cards...

sent you a private message on your site...
:)

Oversoul

The Tentacled One
Spellfire!

I thought they destroyed all of those long ago...

Anyway, I checked out most of the site, but many parts of it weren't working at the time, and I thought it was probably just my computer...

N

Nightstalkers

Originally posted by Oversoul
Spellfire!

I thought they destroyed all of those long ago...

Anyway, I checked out most of the site, but many parts of it weren't working at the time, and I thought it was probably just my computer...
I've got the set aptly named "Nightstalkers" and its complete :D

D

Darius099

Hmm...

I checked it out. Content was okay, forums are pretty empty so far...

Looks like the web design was done by a color blind 6 year old with a crayon in his teeth.

+Brutal Honesty

You really need some Dreamweaver MX2004-age.

~Darius099

J

JayEb333

thank you for the brutal honesty. if you don't mind, however, could you go beyond the insult and explain why you think it looks this way?

D

Darius099

Certainly.

The bright green ad place-holders are disgusting against the grays, they don't belong on the site anyways, too noisy. Keep the place holders, change the color scheme.

The ticker is something I used in computer class to teach me HTML. A changelog is much better, the ticker is cheesy. Suggest adding a simpler changelog w/ archives on the frontpage, for updates.

The 'Vote for me!' banner at the top is a no-no IMO. It screams 'We need Attention Really Bad', when if they care about the site, they can scroll down to see it, where it dosen't look as desperate. (IE : move it to the bottom).

The banner in the top center is very badly made + simplistic. The rounded logo in the top left is pretty decent though. I can hook you up with a better one, if I need to.

Comic Sans is not the right choice for font... it's extremely unproffessional. I'd go with not necessarily something more boring... but definetly something less childish. A default font is best... perhaps Trebuchet?

Mana symbols are copyrighted. I suggest you don't mess with them. It'll never be a huge deal, but they also don't look very good on the background you chose for your menubar. I suggest simple dots, blocks, diamonds... etc.

Menubar dosen't look bad, but it clashes with the mana symbols. The text you chose (Magic Font) for the sidebar is good, but the colors conflict terribly. Suggest changing font colors and removing mana symbols.

The simple grey background dosen't go well with all the colors either, and really dosen't look all that great with the menubar either, despite similar and complimentary colors. I suggest playing with it a bunch until a less bland color scheme comes up.

Just some things I noticed. Also... what do you use for website design?

~Darius099

J

JayEb333

thanks for the comments. i'll consider your suggestions.

and for website design i use myself. its all written in raw html by me. and i prefer it that way. seems a lot more real to me; i know the site better when i've written all of it myself.

edit: how is comic sans childish? i don't see it, and i don't see how trebuchet is much better/different ...

R

Reverend Love

I think what darius is trying to say is keep it simple yet elegant.

A great example would be CPA's homepage. Very simple in design and color scheme but a nice looking functional homepage.

I should'nt be talking though..I'm aesthetically retarded :D