How to approach Fish in Type 2...?

S

Sammy Dead-O

Just found out today that there's a Type 2 tourney coming up at a nearby cardshop on Sunday. This isn't a regular thing there...they probably only have a T2 every few months or so (seems to me, anyway...I sometimes don't make it to the shop for months at a time, though...).

Anyway, I'm going to be playing Fish (and there's a reason for that which I'll write about in an article pretty soon), so my question is:

How should I approach Fish in Type 2 right now?

In other words, should I go mono, and if not, what color should I run? Just after Odyssey hit T2, I actually won a tourney at this store with U/W/r Fish, but I don't know that that's still the best way to go.

I asked the owner if I should expect a lot of Psychatog, and he seemed to think that 6/6 wurm tokens would be a bigger threat.

And...okay, I've said enough. I'll just throw it out there now. What do y'all think?

I

Istanbul

22 Island

4 Lord of Atlantis
4 Merfolk Looter
4 Coral Merfolk
4 Reef Shaman
3 Arctic Merfolk
3 Merfolk of the Pearl Trident
3 Tidal Courier

4 Counterspell
3 Force Spike
4 Aether Burst
2 Shimmering Mirage

SB:
4 Hibernation
4 Remove Soul
4 Gainsay
3 Boomerang

Gainsay is great fun vs. those Psychatog decks, Remove Soul comes in against creature rush decks, Hibernation makes all those pesky green players vomit in their own mouths, and Boomerang is just good, all-purpose bounce.

S

Sammy Dead-O

I'm glad to see there's some support for monoblue. I don't feel so stupid for considering it now. I will try out that version, especially since I'm not used to playing 25 fishy critters. Thanks!

I have to admit that I'm afraid I'll prefer a few more control cards, though. I'm pretty paranoid. In fact, I'm leaning pretty heavily toward playing both Wash Out and Persuasion in the deck. Any thoughts on those? And Repulse...shouldn't that be a killer vs. wurm tokens?

At any rate, this is all I'm pretty sure of in the deck so far:
4x Lords
4x Looters
4x Counterspell
2 or more Force Spike

Okay, how would this look for monoblue:

4 Lord
4 Looter
4 Coral
2 Merfolk of the Pearl Trident
2 Reef Shaman

4 Counterspell
2 Force Spike
2 Disrupt
2 Exclude (I like it! Although these could be something like a Circular Logic and a maindeck Gainsay...sure to be a lot of blue)

4 Aether Burst
3 Repulse
1 Rushing River
2 Wash Out
2 Persuasion

T

train

Cunning Wish... to get to your sideboard first game - very awesome!!!
Vodalian Merchant - draw advantage
Whirlpool Rider - in case your hand is land heavy
Whirlpool Warrior - ditto...
Disrupt is better than force spike - you get to draw a card...

- ensanaring bridge might not be bad aginst wurms!!!

Sideboard:
Repulse = boomerang and draw...
Laquatus's Disdain - counter spell played from graveyard - draw a card... great advantage vs. wurms

N

NorrYtt

Gaea's Skyfolk and Galina's Knight are excellent Merfolk. You might try splashing a color, which opens up sideboard possibilities (Seedtime, Morningtide?)

D

DeadCities

4 Lord of atlantis
4 Razorfin hunter
4 Looter
3 Merfolk of the perltrident
4 Aquamoeba
2 Wonder
2 Grim Lavamancer
4 Deep Analysis
4 Fiery Temper
3 Fire/Ice
4 Ensnaring Bridge
2 Rites of Initiation
1 Celaphid coliseum
3 Shivan reef
9 Island
7 Mountain
sb:
4 Opposition
2 Glacial Wall
4 Browbeat
2 Hibernation
2 Earthquake
1 Shimmering Mirage

this is what i mess around with :)

S

Sammy Dead-O

That one looks pretty dang cool. I've actually decided to go monoblue, but I'm definitely gonna try that out at some point. I just love playing fish in general. I'm gonna have to round up some of those cards, though (don't have much Odyssey block).