green mana engine for thallids

K

Killerbob

I would like to make a thallid themedeck. But they are SO slow. One possibility is to slow things down with winter orb or something similar, another to produce tons of mana to fungal bloom. Winter orb kills fungal bloom, which I consider a defining card. So I have to produce tons of mana. Without the use of other creatures than thallid/fungus/saproling related cards and walls. Does anyone have any suggestions?
Infinite mana would be fun (thorn thallid -Bang!), but the deck isnt supposed to be a combodeck.

T

train

I'd say just run some creeping molds if a winter orb gives you problems...

If you're running the orb - just run Icy manipulators with it...

You could also run Eladamri's Vineyards...

Spiderman

Administrator
Staff member
I think he meant he was running the Orb because the Thallids take so long to build counters, so the Orb would slow down his opponent...

I second the Vineyards. Also, it's not constant but maybe the storage lands from Fallen Empires (something Hollow?) or Green Mana Battery.

What you really need to do is take more turns, but I think only Blue lets you do that (unless you count cards like "Skip attack phase" or such for the other player).

K

Killerbob

thanks for your ideas. I play vineyard in another deck, which I think make better use of it -an even then it gives me troubble, because it helps opponent too. The reason to include it should be REALLY good. But I like orb/icy. Both cards could be helpful by themselves.
Strange plants. They grow fast when its cold!

T

train

Try running parallel evolutions and saproling bursts for more fungii...

W

WickedBoy6

Here's a Saproling Deck I feel has a lot of potency. I tried for a pure Thallid, but that can get boring. Plus, with all of the good Saproling cards out there, why not overrun your opponent with a thousand of the suckers?

2 Feral Thallid
2 Nemata, Grove Guardian
2 Parallel Evolution
2 Rith, the Awakener
2 Saproling Symbiosis
3 Artifact Mutation
3 Aura Mutation
3 Elvish Farmer
3 Fungal Bloom
3 Saproling Burst
3 Spore Flower
3 Thallid
3 Thallid Devourer
3 Thorn Thallid
2 Savannah
2 Taiga
4 Gemstone Mine
15 Forest

I'm sure the mana curve is off, but besides that, the combo ability of this deck is pretty nice. First, build up your saproling army by stalling the game with Flowers & Farmers, and duplicate your army with Parallel Evolution & Saproling Simbyosis. Once you have dozens of the meanies in play, attack, then sac the ones that were blocked to Nemata, Grove Guardian (remember to keep a fading counter on those Bursts before the sacing). Maybe a few of those Fetch Lands from Onslaught or the Pain Lands from 7th Ed. could off-set the slow-mana-production, or for a pure-green deck, add some Gaea's Cradles or Citanul Hierophants.

W

WickedBoy6

Very Niiiiiiice, Train. Mirari with some Evolution & Symbiosis, then assault with some sacrifice to Nemata... :eek: 'Cuse me, gotta go build an Apprentice deck!

T

train

Also - since you're running red - you might as well go ahead and run a goblin bombardment...;) :cool:

W

WickedBoy6

K, so let's say I already have 10 Saprolings on the table versus his 5 ground-pounders. I cast evolution to duplicate them to 20, Mirari that to make 40, attack, dealing 35 damage thus far, sacrifice the blocked 5 to Nemata to give all Saps +5/+5, now dealing 210 damage, then sac them all to have a grand total of 245 damage...

:eek: I'd LOVE to play that in a Multiplayer game.

T

train

unless they have haste - you'd have to wait a turn... that's where the bombardment comes in - you can use it even if they wrath or something...

W

WickedBoy6

That's true...A couple of those Green Enchantments that gives creatures Haste would help for that deck.

K

Kheoinn

Concordant Crossroads?

I agree, that would go well. Just watch out, because it effects your opponents cards as well.

T

train

Try this instead - you don't want to help the opponent...

Fires of Yavimaya
Color= Multi Type= Enchantment Cost= 1RG IN(U)
Text (IN): Creatures you control have haste. ; Sacrifice ~this~: Target creature gets +2/+2 until end of turn.

Or a Fervor...

:cool:

K

Kheoinn

I was thinking fires or fervor too, but I didn't know if he wanted to run red, which can screw up the manabase and make you non-basic hate succeptable.

T

train

There was already red in the deck(Rith, Artifact Mutation, etc...) - so it shouldn't hurt much...
;)

N

NorrYtt

A good mana engine for a Saproling deck would involve Citanul Hierophants or Earthcraft. Late game combined with Fungal Bloom, you get an exponential increase in Saprolings over time.

This is Saproling deck I've critiqued in the past. It is very similar to your deck plus some tricks and answers.
Here is my explanation + rant of this Saproling deck.

Super Saprolings via Elves

4 Llanowar Elves
4 Fyndhorn Elves
4 Heart Warden
4 Priest of Titiana
4 Quirion Ranger
4 Elvish Lyrist

3 Elvish Farmer
2 Verdeloth the Ancient
2 Nemata, Grove Guardian
2 Verdant Force

2 Desert Twister
3 Fecundity
1 Worldly Tutor

1 Predator, Flagship

1 Gaea's Cradle
19 Forest

This deck is kinda old, but it could be updated to fit your style very easily. Obvious exclusions are Living Wish, Genesis, and Kamahl, Fist of Krosa.

Living Wish is the new casual green powerhouse card. Every casual green deck gets better by adding Living Wish.

W

WickedBoy6

i've ran my Thallid Deck ecently, and it ended up being the complete drizzling shiznits. I'm going to go back and re-edit some of the deck, probably raise the mana-curve and try a different approach, maybe drop Thallids for more cards to help Saprolings. I mean, that's what we're REALLY doing with the deck, right? Saprolings?

K

Killerbob

I actually made the thallid/prison deck, but I havent played it much yet. Its not strong, but I like it. Winter orb seems like a good way to stall the game. Its not a major problem, that it kills fungal bloom, because I usually draw an icy, before I can have both orb and bloom in play.
Fecundity is great. Fungus likes to "overextend", and this card makes it less risky.Combined with spontaneous generation, it becomes close to unfair! Saproling burst works really good with fecundity (draw 6 cards!), and elvish farmer (and gain 12 lifes!), but i need to get 1 more.
One rules question: when I remove the last counter from burst, I get a 0/0 token, which goes to the graveyard, right?

Anyway, this is the deck, as it is right now. It might be changed a little. Maybe less land. Maybe land grant.

FUNGUFOBIA:

17 forest
3 gaeas cradle
4 wild growth -very good card, when you cant play elves or birds

4 wall of roots -good with icy. Play icy turn 3, and still have mana to use it.
4 thallid
4 elvish farmer
2 spore flower -in my dreams this can win games!
4 thallid devourer
1 thorn thallid -bad fungus. Doesnt make saprolings, and cant sac them. But i have to play it.
1 feral thallid -same as above

1 saproling burst
2 spontaneous generation
1 night soil

2 fungal bloom
4 fecundity
3 winter orb
4 icy manipulator.

I know I need utility. But the prison lock should solve some problems
:p -and I cant find space for naturalize.

T

train

What about

"Fung-u!!" for a name of a fungus deck... of course you have to say it with a lot of emphasis on the F...:eek: