2x Power Sink

2x Quagmire Druid
4x Bog Down

2x Lobotomy
3x Jungle Barrier
3x Pernicious Deed
4x Spiritmonger

Some explanations are in order.
Cities of Brass - Needed reliable sources of versatile mana.
Lay of the Land - Land Grant plus. Fishes land out of your deck too, so it improves your draws.
Hurricane - Kills dragons, eats Skies, X-spell finisher for green.
Jaded Response - If all goes well, this should be a Mana Leak.
Quagmire Druid - Enchantments are still scary.
Jungle Barrier - Fat enough to block big monsters and live. Replaces itself.
Pernicious Deed - Too good to pass up.
Spiritmonger - Okay, this one needs no explaining. Kill method. Also kills pretty much anything, and gets around color-dependent stuff.

It's only a first draft, I know there are other things I can do better. Would Gaea's Skyfolk go well in here? How about Urborg Elf (makes all the right kinds of mana)?

I'll also say these two IMPORTANT! things.

1) This deck has, and will have, no Masques block cards in it. Don't bother suggesting Blastoderm or Thrashing Wumpus or Rishadan Port. Why? Simple. When Odyssey comes out, this deck will only gain from it. Other decks will be losing an entire *block* of cards, and scrambling to recover.

2) This deck was basically made in response to my realization that, quite probably, the best three cards in Apocalypse are Pernicious Deed, Spiritmonger, and Jungle Barrier (which is basically a bigger Wall of Blossoms).

All *constructive* suggestions are welcome. Unsubstantiated declarations of 'this deck is a pile' will be gleefully ignored.

M

Mikeymike

...of pretty good cards.

If you are going to add Gaea's Skyfolk (which would die to your hurricanes keep in mind) you should also consider Diabolic Intent. It works/will work well with cheap creatures and the Pernicious Deed: as long as you time it right.

Doomsday Spectre? Would work very nicely with the new wall, but you don't have many B/U critters in here. An idea at least.

Also, with 4 BoP and 3 Lay of the Land I think those Cities are better off as another Coast and Wastes: Port-City is an annoying way to die. As long as you get green, you should be fine. I probably wouldn't put in the elf, it will just die to your pernicious deed. The BoP of course will also, but they are justified b/c they come into play a turn sooner.

Is Power Sink type 2 legal anymore?

Hope this helps

I

Istanbul

You make some fairly valid points.

Gaea's Skyfolk probably wouldn't go in there; they're not really in this deck's theme. Flying Bears are neat, but not game-winners; after the first few turns, they'll probably just die against whatever they run into.

Doomsday Specter also makes me jittery; only nine of my the cards in my deck can be bounced to keep it in play. That, combined with the fact that it's basically unnecessary by the time I get it into play, means it won't make it into this deck.

Actually, I was thinking of Cities because I was also thinking of another vaguely amusing idea: run two copies of Cromat. Granted, I'll need two alternate mana sources (R and W), but he has all his most important abilities in my base colors: GU to put him atop my library, and GB to regenerate. This basically makes him invinicble in normal combat AND invulnerable to Wrath. Thoughts?

Power Sink is in Type 2, yes.

G

Gizmo

Power Sink isn`t in TypeII.

There are some very odd choices in here, I think. Opt, for one, seems largely sort of 'eh' about why it would be in, as does Hurricane and Quagmire Druid. They seem to be sort of random cards inserted to make up space - the Deed is a perfectly good answer to any nasty enchantments that might crop up. I would basically consider the aim of the deck being to: 1) generate mana, 2)make monsters of size, 3) Deed and counter their stuff.

1) generate mana
Big problem here is most mana sources will get caned by the Deed when you blow it - I`d probably be forced to base it off of Harrows and Rampant Growths as that filters land out of your deck and gets around the Deed.

4 Rampant Growth
4 Harrow

2) monsters of size
Spiritmonger is a monster of size, but we need more more MORE! The Jungle Walls are, well, walls. Once you`ve got to 4cc you are able to play big fat guys, anything defensive like Walls really needs to be coming in earlier so I`d consider dropping those guys out, maybe just for straight targetted black removal. I`d consider Scuta a possibility, and also any good blue flyers would be very tempting alongside simply having fat.guy.

4 Wall Of Bone/Jungle or removal spells
3 Anavolver
4 Spiritmonger

3) Deed and counters.
Four Deed, certainly, I also like Temporal Spring, so three of four of those mulit-purpose cards. Then counters - Counterspell might be out of your way a little, but Evasive Action seems much more likely to be useful, then Spite/Malice sounds good, Counterspell itself might be a step too far at UU, it`ll stretch the mana base a lot.

3 Evasive Action
4 Counterspell
3 Spite/Malice
4 Pernicious Deed
3 Temporal Spring

Then 24 land, making good use of all the new cross lands:

4 Yavimaya Coast
4 Salt Marsh
2 Llanowar Wastes
6 Forest
4 Island
4 Swamp

I

Istanbul

A lot of good points, but most of them, I'd already considered.
Opt is there to get you to a more important card faster. Nothing sucks more than having everything you need *but* the kill method.
Hurricane is in there for Dragons, and flyers in general; this deck has no other way of handling them.
Quagmire Druid...valid point. Out he goes.

1) I like Lay of the Land over Rampant Growth. Lay costs 1, Rampant costs 2, and both have essentially the same effect unless you've already land-dropped this turn. Harrow is okay, but this deck's low land count makes me nervous about sacrificing land. A bit of Harrowing followed by some land destruction can really kick this deck's land base in the butt. I'll probably use Rampant Growth AND Lay of the Land.

2) Jungle Walls are Walls, yes, and I'd taken the 4 into consideration...but remember, this deck isn't based around Fatty McBeats. It's made to take control, then inflict beatdown. Jungle Barrier has a big, fat butt, and draws you a card to replace him, so you're effectively nullifying all but the most enormous ground-based attackers. Still, I see your point. Perhaps something fatter and faster, like Glacial Wall?
Black removal...I'm not seeing a lot of good black removal these days. Dark Banishing is okay, but that's about it...
Anavolver is nice beef, and worth considering.
Ooooh! I just got a flash of inspiration. Lemme check...bugger! Crypt Rats demands strictly black mana. Makes me want to splash red for Earthquake. *grumble* I need some kind of mass weenie control. This deck needs a couple of turns to set itself up, and getting overrun by little beasties would sure irritate me.

3) Evasive Action makes me uncomfortable. If I'm all set up, it's a Mana Leak...and if I'm all set up, odds are that my opponent will simply smile and pay the 3. I could have *sworn* that Power Sink was in Type II...oh well. I'd already considered Spite/Malice, so I think it'll probably go in. More countermagic would sure make me feel safer, though. I'm sooooo tempted to think 'Undermine', but that's another double-blue counter. I'm actually finding myself tempted to play...hmmm. Exclude, maybe? Creature-heavy environment, replaces itself...chief worry post-rotation is Fires.

Okay. Here's an adjusted version of the deck.

8x Forest
5x Island
5x Swamp
2x Yavimaya Coast
2x Llanowar Wastes
2x Salt Marsh

4x Lay of the Land
3x Rampant Growth
3x Anavolver

3x Counterspell
4x Exclude
3x Opt

3x Bog Down
3x Dark Banishing

4x Pernicious Deed
4x Spiritmonger
2x Lobotomy
3x Spite/Malice

24 land in a 62-card deck...not a bad ratio, especially with multiple ways to fish land from your deck.

What thinkest thou of the newest form? It's very vulnerable to fliers, but that's life in the fast lane. And yes, I did go a bit heavier on the green; many of this deck's key cards (Pernicious Deed, Spiritmonger, Anavolver) require green, and the land-fishers are useless if you draw them in your opening hand without a Coast/Wastes/Forest. There are still nine sources of black and blue in the deck, and only two of each require self-abuse.

I

Istanbul

Wow. Is this deck now that good, that nobody has any constructive advice for it?

I

Istanbul

No one? Anyone? Nobody has anything constructive to add?

F

FoundationOfRancor

Counterspell
I dont think you should run this, its very mana reliant, and you can keep bouncing threats and/or making them discard untill you smack down a kill.

Recoil and Duress
I would use over Bog Down and Counterspell. Recoil is just great way to handle permanents, and Duress would make an excellent first-second turn disrupt method. However, I really have alot of hatred for Bog Down, so that may be blinding me...

Lay of the Land
Rampant Growth

These are great, and its not really going to make that big of a difference, but I think you should use harrow. I understand your worries about LD and their well justified. However, just make sure to put in some RG or LOTL in your sideboard. The main reason I like Harrow is that it fetchs two lands. Its basically two of these cards in one, which gives you space for other things.

Temporal Spring
I think this is also a valid option. I wouldnt run to many, maybe three or two (Its a sorcery), but It's just more to add to the Stall pile.

So, my crazy new deck would look something like this:

4x Harrow
3x Anavolver

4x Exclude
3x Opt

4x Duress
2x Dark Banishing

4x Recoil
3x Temporal Spring
4x Pernicious Deed
4x Spiritmonger
2x Lobotomy
3x Spite/Malice

Im not sure how you would want to change the land base.

Now, im not very "skilled" at deck creating, so dont take my opinions here to seriously, I just thought that you wanted some input.

O

olwen

4 Birds of Paradise
4 Anavolver
4 Blastoderm
3 Spiritmonger

4 Opt
2 Teferi's Response
4 Hoodwink
4 Rampant Growth
3 Temporal Spring
4 Pernicious Deed

4 Yavimaya Coast
4 Llanowar Wastes
4 Swamp
4 Island
8 Forest

Minimize the use of Black.
Can't use Tsabo's Web, thus the Response.
Bounce their lands with Hoodwink while you Rampant Growth up yours.

I

Istanbul

Well, I finally played my first match with this deck, vs. R/W.
Lost...*barely*.
20 turns in, neither of us had non-land permanents on the table.
He couldn't keep anything in play, I couldn't draw crap. :/
Exclude and Dark Banishing are MVPs. One keeps creatures off, one kills those that land.
Bog Down is great for heavy discard; this isn't. Goes out for Recoil.
Rampant Growth leaves for Harrow.
Counterspell also works surprisingly well.

Fidgeted around with the decklist. Here's how it stands now:

7x Forest
5x Swamp
5x Island
2x Yavimaya Coast
2x Llanowar Wastes
2x Salt Marsh

4x Lay of the Land
2x Harrow
3x Anavolver

4x Exclude
3x Opt
3x Counterspell

4x Dark Banishing

4x Pernicious Deed
3x Spiritmonger
2x Lobotomy
2x Spite / Malice
3x Recoil

F

FoundationOfRancor

You cant run too many non-basic lands remember.

I really suggest you try at least a couple Temporal Spring, they are quite good.

I

Istanbul

I thought of it...but this deck's forte is solutions. Permanent-like. I also can't think of anything I'd want to give up for Temporal Springs.

Just one more Spiritmonger, and this deck is complete...

Killer Joe

I saw an extremly efficient U/B/G deck that ran:
Undermine
Repulse
Nether Spirit
Spirit Monger
Pernicious Deed
Exclude
Counterspell
Opt
Accumulated Knowledge
Fact or Fiction
I don't remember any Black spot removal, though.
In my opinion, the Opts, AK's and FoF's are the way to go instead of the Lay of the Land (although a good choice).

I

Istanbul

I play Opt.
Accumulated Knowledge and Nether Spirit are both in Masques block, and I'm avoiding Masques block with this deck.
You'd be *amazed* how useful Dark Banishing is in this deck. It *always* gets used.

I

Istanbul

This deck is hereby DISMANTLED for going 0-4, not winning a single game.