Forum Magic Games

Why are you not playing a Forum MtG game?

• Not enough time to play

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Not enough time to draft/build

• Not interested in Magic anymore

• Too difficult to read the board

• Games take way too long to complete

• Don't feel you can compete (Too Hard)

• Don't understand the rules/how to play in thread

• Didn't know about them

• None of the above (please elaborate in thread)

• Total voters
R

rokapoke

As I mentioned in a different thread, I feel that my skills (particularly with draft) are not quite up to snuff with this competition.

Also, I've noticed that it takes FOREVER to get drafts done here, for various reasons. I tend to lose track of where I was, let alone where other people were, if it's not a quick process.

B

BigBlue

I figure this is one way to learn if there are any ways we can improve the way we play 'em.

Rokapoke, you should try MindMaster - no time requirements to build etc... the main drawback is randomness - and going first really matters.

Speaking of Which - Spidey, we need to pin a thread there on how the format works etc... I think more people would play if they realized how easy it is.

I can provide details on how to create a pack w/ my online generator - it's pretty straightforward.

Oversoul

The Tentacled One
rokapoke;281070 said:
As I mentioned in a different thread, I feel that my skills (particularly with draft) are not quite up to snuff with this competition
I understand the sentiment of being frustrated by drafting, especially since I've done it so little (including here and in meatspace). I do want to try it more (here, at least) in the future, but it is kind of weird and probably takes some getting used to.

With constructed though, well, it seems like you'd have nothing to lose and potentially something to gain. It's not necessarily a big investment of time, since you can just pop into the games board whenever you're normally here. The games are all casual. There's no prize for winning and no one (except maybe Ransac) will make fun of you for losing. And it could help with those skills. Since your every move is preserved in a log, you can look back on a game and see where you made mistakes. If you have a dilemma and don't know what move to make, no one but you will know if you spend all day thinking about it and analyzing things before you make your move. Then at least you'll know that you need to work on analyzing that particular type of situation more quickly.

As far as deckbuilding goes, having another person to play against is a good way of testing your deck, and there's always someone on the boards willing to do that. I do think my deckbuilding skills, which had atrophied, have been improved by playing forum games. My first tribal deck was crap, but I've gotten better at putting them together, although I still make mistakes (like not including Damnation in the wurms deck).

I suggest giving it a shot.

Ransac

CPA Trash Man
Oversoul;281091 said:
There's no prize for winning and no one (except maybe Ransac) will make fun of you for losing.

This is the lone reason why Oversoul refuses to play our First Draft final.

Ransac, cpa trash man

Oversoul

The Tentacled One
Ransac;281096 said:
This is the lone reason why Oversoul refuses to play our First Draft final.
Have I been inadvertently ducking you? I mean, I know I'll lose. It's destiny. I wish I had Melkor's deck instead of mine. Oh well, let's get on this. I shall be slain with honor (or more like lying there helplessly after Ransac shuts down my combo and finishes me off slowly and painfully). I'll dig up my deck and the thread...

Spiderman

Administrator
Staff member
BigBlue said:
Speaking of Which - Spidey, we need to pin a thread there on how the format works etc... I think more people would play if they realized how easy it is.
Sure, I'll dig up the thread that started it all and Sticky it.

Shabbaman

insert avatar here
The poll forces me to "elaborate": I'm not interested in m:tg in a different form than oldschool paper magic.

B

BigBlue

Understandable...

One interesting aspect of these forum games - from any other type...

Everyone has an unlimited cardstock... which makes it interesting to play... It also makes it very unusual since you can construct many decks which would be impossible in real life (unless you happen to own four of every card!)

Spiderman

Administrator
Staff member
Well, you can do that with Apprentice... don't know how many people still use that to play though...

R

Rakarth

Just coming back from the dead quickly to say...I still play on apprentice :p only so I can play against my brother. No wish to play millions of different people but I can't play against my brother so apprentice is fine for me.

It's also really useful for goldfishing decks that I want to build, especially if they potentially include really expensive cards I don't want to have to buy then find out the deck's better without them :)

Bye bye now

Oversoul

The Tentacled One
No. In fact, I'm not sure why you're asking that in that way because if someone had stated something wrong with Apprentice, it would have been silly for me to ask the question I did...

I asked because your post made it seem like Apprentice was obsolete or everyone had moved on to something else, but I didn't know what that might be and also because BigBlue's post also seemed like it was along those lines. Did you guys mean some other thing?

Also, when I asked I had forgotten about Magic Work Station, which I suppose could be one thing that replaces Apprentice. I mean, I'm not sure because I did try it once and couldn't get it to work on my computer before I gave up and went back to Apprentice.

Spiderman

Administrator
Staff member
I was asking that because I couldn't find anything previous that indicated that someone said there was something wrong with it. So *I* was confused by your question.

I said what I did because I don't travel in the Apprentice world so have no idea how popular it is for people to use to play others or just use it to build decks and goldfish-test them. Obviously people use it for something since it keeps getting updated. But I don't know if MTGO has supplanted it or if, like Magic Work Station, people have found other programs to take its place.

I thought MWS wasn't free though and I don't use it myself so I didn't mention it as an option with Apprentice as the "unlimited cardstock" thing.

Oversoul

The Tentacled One
Spiderman;282622 said:
I was asking that because I couldn't find anything previous that indicated that someone said there was something wrong with it. So *I* was confused by your question.

I said what I did because I don't travel in the Apprentice world so have no idea how popular it is for people to use to play others or just use it to build decks and goldfish-test them. Obviously people use it for something since it keeps getting updated. But I don't know if MTGO has supplanted it or if, like Magic Work Station, people have found other programs to take its place.

I thought MWS wasn't free though and I don't use it myself so I didn't mention it as an option with Apprentice as the "unlimited cardstock" thing.
Ah. Well, MTGO doesn't have all of the cards, so it can't really fill the same role as Apprentice. MWS is free, but for me, at least, was too much of a bother to use. Supposedly it's better, but if it takes forever to get it to work properly, I don't really care. Apprentice works fine for testing Legacy decks, which I've been doing a bit lately. MTGO wouldn't work for that. Excel might, but it seems more cumbersome. So yeah, that's why nothing really replaces Apprentice for me, although I can't speak for anyone else.

Spiderman

Administrator
Staff member
No, I'm the same way. I use Apprentice for making decks and playing the forum games, even though BigBlue created those Google docs for expansions and there's the Excel sheet you can use also. I just like being able to look up the card right there and having the function to create boosters and stuff.