Dungeons & Dragons 4E

N

Nightstalkers

Heard about it... New races, new classes, etc.

They were very annoying at Gencon about it.

E

Ephraim

I can't say that I'm really interested. I'll pay attention to the rumour mill and if it turns out that it is filled with amazing improvements, I might pick up the Player's Handbook to get a feel for their methodology and then just extrapolate to the rest of my 3.5 books myself. Otherwise, the rules don't really control the way that I run games, so 3.5 or 4.0 probably won't have much impact on me.

Killer Joe

I'd be willing to bet that there are about a half billion people who'd say that about DnD,...ALL OF IT! They are THE WALKING DEAD, of course. ;)

D

DarthFerret

My thoughts on the 4th Ed. D & D?....

Well, I have not really paid much attention to it, therefore I can only comment on what they should be doing to make it marketable. They should keep it as a d20 system. It should be fully compatible to 3.5 ed.

What did they really do?...No clue.. Will prolly still keep playing 3.5 for a long time though.

Spiderman

Administrator
Staff member
This is the second I've heard about it, I'll look it up when I get a chance... not that I play D&D anymore though... :(

D

DarthFerret

This new method of spellcasting has me a bit intrigued. Will really want to sit down and look at it more specifically when it is published..

T

train

Hmmm...

The online meeting version of it seems interesting enough for me to check it out...

D

DarthFerret

Ok, mainly I am puttin this here for information gathering purposes. I have heard a lot of rumors (and have seen a lot on the net), and I am a member of D&D Insider, so some of what I know is backed up by fact, but not nearly all of it is.

Rumor #1: They have eliminated the Bard, Druid, Monk, and Sorcerer classes--

Ok, this rumor is spawned simply by the fact that they have not mentioned any of these clases in any of the excerpts on WizCo's site. They do make mention of a couple of new classes, Warlord, and Spellsword. I know for a fact that Warlord is a new class, but the Spellsword may be a paragon path that you can take at 11th level.

Rumor #2: They have given every class 3 different type of powers--

This is now a fact, not a rumor. Instead of spells, and abilities, they have given every class a set of powers to choose from. There are three levels of these powers (at-will, encounter, daily). Every class will have powers of each of these (a first look at a page from the new PH shows no at-will powers at 1st level, however not sure how acurate that will be). The powers look to be pretty complicated, and some of the terminology I have see has not been defined clearly. For example, the often seen, and not explained (W). I have no idea what the (W) is, but have heard it suggested that it may signify half of your current level.

Rumor #3: Critical hits--

It appears that Wizco has finally visited the problem of a critical strike being less powerful than a normal strike. Some evidence of this is shown in a few of the excerpts, and in some of the monster spoilers, yet I have no hard data on this. One suggesstion is that a critical strike would be at max potential roll, however once again I cannot confirm this.

Ok, now help me out here, please let me know any rumors or facts that any of you have seen. I am planning on participating in the Game Day on June 7th, and want to be as prepared as possible for it.

B

Budget Player Cadet

No! I JUST FINALIZED MY 3.5 COLLECTION! NOOOOOO!!!!!!!
I hate DND...

Mooseman

Isengar Tussle
I am still sticking with 2nf Ed....... Maybe by the time they get to 10.7 Ed... I may have an interest... that should be by 2010..... :D

I really dislike the d20 systems.... they are too generic and similar..... that's just my take on it.....

M

Modus Pwnens

I barely play irl, so if I host another session we'll just continue with 3.5..

Killer Joe

I can't get around to playing v3.5 let alone something new. I'd have to quit Magic inorder to find the time and resources to get into DnD at all. :(

Mooseman

Isengar Tussle
And the brainiacs at WoTC have scheduled the Worldwide Release events for D&D 4th ED on the same day they have scheduled the MTG Regionals..... June 7th.......

I'll still wait for 10th ED, before even thinking about playing a new ED.....

D

DarthFerret

I noticed that Moose, as for some reason I still get invites to MTG events like regionals, althoug I have not been in any sanctioned event (other than pre-releases) in something like 5 years.

I will be attending a National Game Day on Saturday. I may have some news to report after that.

D

DarthFerret

Well, went to the game day, got a PH 4ed. From what little that I did get to do, it appears that some of the things that I thought would be poor changes, actually worked fairly well. I will try to summarize some of the main points.

The Clerics Role: With the intorduction of healing surges, and every character being able to do so, I figured the cleric's role would be diminished to nothing. Boy was I wrong. A lot of his/her abilities bolster the party or individual members of the party by both increasing thier ability to heal, or by increasing thier ability to perform certain actions. I actually played the cleric of the party in the second adventure, and even though the party lost out to the dragon, we lasted a lot longer than it apperead we should have. This was mainly due to my cleric being able to perform heals from a distance and bolster the rogue and fighters ability to cause damage.

Powers instead of spells: I was already pretty happy with the way they worked this part until I found out that it worked for any class. Now that I have seen how they worked it, I am much more confident in it being able to work. I was able to see firsthand how the at-will, encounter, and daily powers can be used to move an encounter along. One of the things that I noticed is that a character will no longer fall into a general broad catagory, but into many sub-categories depending on what powers he/she opts for. The martial, arcane, and divine powers all seem to be fairly balanced (not sure about the warlock, as one was not offered to be playable in this campaign, but looks like the balanced him out fairly well) and the way that the designed the powers for the martial characters makes some sense.

Class Changes: Ok, I am still a bit miffed about the lack of a Druid. I can live without a monk or a barbarian. However, there were hints in the Players Handbook that these classes will be availible in some type of expansion in the future. (They mention Ki energy, Nature energy, etc...) The added classes seem to make some kind of sense. I can see a lot of similarities in the 3.5 Warlock and the 4.0 Warlock, and am thinking that the class was one of thier test-pilots in 3.5 ed. Every class seemed to have its place and worked well together as a group filling in the gaps. I played a rogue in the first adventure, and was able to do a lot of interesting things that a 3.5 rogue at 1st level woudl be hard pressed to do.

Skill Changes: Ok, I had not heard a lot about this before today other than it was going to be radically different. What I did not expect was that they pared down all of the skills from 3.5 into 17 different skills period. And they did get rid of skill points (thank goodness). They combined a lot of skills that are similar into a group. This made knowing how good your character is at something a lot easier, as well as cleaned up the Character Sheet a bit too.

Healing Surges: Already kinda mentioned this in the above comment on the cleric, however it does deserve special note here. By allowing the characters to have the ability to use these surges to gain back some of what they lost, the battles can become a bit more fun and long-lasting, even at 1st level. This does help ensure that the arcane spellcaster is no longer in danger to a one-hit kill in every encounter. The way they changed the healing from negative points, and the death-throws is also a bit more consistent and believable.

All in all, I have to say I am more impressed with this edition than I thought that I would be. I figured on not changing to 4th Edition for quite some time, and sticking with 3.5, however, I am starting to have second thoughts on that idea. It is a bit different and will take a complete reorganization of thought processes, but I think it is still a fun game and was not destroyed completely as I feared it might have been.

If anyone else played, please give me your feedback. If you have any questions on mechanics, please ask. Just keep in mind all I have is the Players Handbook, and am probably not gonna have the funds for the other 2 core books for a while.