CPA Articles

turgy22

Nothing Special
Thanks. I've been wondering what I submitted.

Also, I had at least one reply to Oversoul's latest piece. You must do everything in your power to find it and save it.

Oversoul

The Tentacled One
If it was in response to the quote tag (I guess I used the wrong one) around the part where I was quoting you getting deleted, I mentioned that in my initial correction, but it never showed up!

Spiderman

Administrator
Staff member
I'll search for your reply; the spam filled up the reply queue again so I have to do a search on your name :D

Spiderman

Administrator
Staff member
LOL turgy22, your article was hilarious. I assumed the stuff with the attempted img tags was part of the article and not actually supposed to be true imgs like the last at the end, so I left them as is. If not, let me know...

turgy22

Nothing Special
Yeah, the poor image tagging was semi-intentional (by semi-intentional, I mean I didn't originally mean to have that. I wanted to put an image of a card... Onulet, I think... early in the article and I realized I did it all wrong and then just decided to roll with it. Then I tried different methods that seemed kind of right three more times and then when I finished I looked up which one was correct and moved that one to the end.)

The second half of the article being all bold was not intentional. I thought the incorrect bold tag I used would just show up as text. I don't really care if you fix it, though. Having so much bold makes it hard to read, but it also takes up more space, so that's a good thing, right?

Spiderman

Administrator
Staff member
Heh... well, it does look kind of weird so I can fix it. Was it just that title word that was supposed to be bold?

Spiderman

Administrator
Staff member
Hey, I just posted 3 replies that I managed to see, two from Oversoul and one from turgy22. Hopefully it's from you guys, else the spammers are getting smarter. Just a reminder, post here or PM me if you do a reply to I can search for it until the reply queue is cleaned up.

Oversoul

The Tentacled One
Yeah, I believe I did make two replies recently. I wonder, is it so bad now because the the comment system is outdated and easier for spambots to flood? That's the only explanation I can think of. It's too bad, but I guess we don't really have an option to update it, as I imagine that would require work on Ed's part, which is a bit much to ask for the sake of the five or so people that might actually want to make legitimate comments on these articles...

turgy22

Nothing Special
I think we should start a thread on this forum for every article that gets posted and link to that thread at the end of each article. It would require no work on Ed's part, very little work on Spiderman's (or the author's) part, and might encourage more people to visit the forums and might encourage more comments about the articles from the forum regulars.

Spiderman

Administrator
Staff member
Basically yeah, it's pretty outdated, I think the spammers have the reply form either linked or the template somewhere and all they have to do is submt from script which does it all for them. It's actually been bad for a year and a half, but I was (kinda) keeping up with it until my December vacation which caused me to fall way behind. I did ask Ed about it but he basically said he didn't have the time (nor, it seemed, the inclination) to rewrite the code to prevent spam replies (I was thinking a verification question like new registrations).

Sounds good turgy22.

turgy22

Nothing Special
Can we have a new sub-forum dedicated to front-page article discussions?

Home --> Forums --> CPA Related --> Article Discussions

I feel, assuming things work out as intended, that this forum might start to get cluttered... eventually.

Mooseman

Isengar Tussle
Can we have a new sub-forum dedicated to front-page article discussions?
Home --> Forums --> CPA Related --> Article Discussions
That would be great, then I don't have to put all that extra info in everytime I want to comment.

Spiderman

Administrator
Staff member
I just turned off the ability to do replies so if you really want to reply to one, tell me and I'll turn it back on or just reply in the article threads you guys are creating :)

Spiderman

Administrator
Staff member
Ok, the spammers found the article submission page/form and have started using that since I turned off the replies. Since Ed doesn't have time nor the inclination to recode the front page stuff, all I can do is remove the submission button from the form and hopefully that will stop the spam. So if you want to submit an article, we can either do two things:

a) You tell me and I add the button back and take it out once it's done
b) You can send me the article (PM for email address) and I'll do the submission for you.

Cumbersome, I know. I wish I could add a CAPTCHA link to the submission form since that seemed to have stopped the spammer registrations, but don't see how I can do that right now.

Oversoul

The Tentacled One
The top of the CPA homepage shows a new comment by Spiderman on the new Sheepangelball deck article, but because Spiderman disabled comments on articles, I can't actually see his comment (or any other comments on any articles).

turgy22

Nothing Special
I should have read this thread earlier.

Also, I apologize for this.
If "people" are so intent to flood a site that doesn't get any visitors except, apparently, spammers, why don't they, instead of responding to existing articles, simply submit new articles?