Colored Spells are for Nerds [Canadian Highlander]

Discussion in 'Casual Decks/Variants/Etc' started by Oversoul, May 1, 2018.

1. Oversoul The Tentacled One

http://tappedout.net/mtg-decks/colored-spells-are-for-nerds/

I've been working on Canadian Highlander and other than my crude attempt at a monoblack control deck, which I disassembled after one day, I'll probably post my decks here. Right now I've got two exact netdecks (Goblins and Jeskai Twin) and one deck that I threw together myself.

I wanted to build a "monobrown" deck, but I didn't find any lists online that looked good, so I didn't get much inspiration from them. I just sifted through my collection and grabbed stuff that looked like it fit. So at this stage, it's unrefined. But I'll keep it around for a while and make some modifications in one direction or another. Right now, it's kind of a "goodstuff" deck, a hodgepodge of cards. But I played it a little and it did seem to hold its own.

I didn't have a name for the deck when I threw it together, but then when I was playing it and my opponent saw Ugin's Construct he said, "Oh, and you don't have any colored permanents" or something like that. I responded, "Colored spells are for nerds!" I am perfectly aware that Phyrexian Metamorph is a blue card, but it's a really powerful card and I don't want to take it out just for the sake of a joke.

1x All Is Dust
    1x Ancient Den
    1x Ancient Tomb
    1x Arcbound Ravager
    1x Basalt Monolith
    1x Batterskull
    1x Blasted Landscape
    1x Blightsteel Colossus
    1x Cathodion
    1x Chief of the Foundry
    1x City of Traitors
    1x Cranial Plating
    1x Crucible of Worlds
    1x Crystal Vein
    1x Darksteel Citadel
    1x Darksteel Colossus
    1x Deserted Temple
    1x Duplicant
    1x Ensnaring Bridge
    1x Foundry Inspector
    1x Foundry of the Consuls
    1x Frogmite
    1x Ghost Quarter
    1x Great Furnace
    1x Grim Monolith
    1x Inkmoth Nexus
    1x Inventors' Fair
    1x Juggernaut
    1x Karakas
    1x Karn Liberated
    1x Kuldotha Forgemaster
    1x Library of Alexandria
    1x Lodestone Golem
    1x Mana Vault
    1x Maze of Ith
    1x Memnite
    1x Memory Jar
    1x Metalwork Colossus
    1x Metalworker
    1x Mikokoro, Center of the Sea
    1x Mindslaver
    1x Mishra's Factory
    1x Mishra's Helix
    1x Mishra's Workshop
    1x Mountain
    1x Mox Opal
    1x Mutavault
    1x Myr Enforcer
    1x Myr Retriever
    1x Nevinyrral's Disk
    1x Null Brooch
    1x Oblivion Stone
    1x Ornithopter
    1x Phyrexian Metamorph
    1x Powder Keg
    1x Ratchet Bomb
    1x Rishadan Port
    1x Sanctum of Ugin
    1x Scorched Ruins
    1x Scrap Trawler
    1x Scroll Rack
    1x Sculpting Steel
    1x Seat of the Synod
    1x Skullclamp
    1x Skysovereign, Consul Flagship
    1x Smuggler's Copter
    1x Sol Ring
    1x Sphere of Resistance
    1x Staff of Domination
    1x Stalking Stones
    1x Steel Overseer
    1x Strip Mine
    1x Su-Chi
    1x Sundering Titan
    1x Tangle Wire
    1x Thespian's Stage
    1x Thorn of Amethyst
    1x Thran Dynamo
    1x Tolarian Academy
    1x Tree of Tales
    1x Trinisphere
    1x Triskelion
    1x Ugin's Construct
    1x Umezawa's Jitte
    1x Urborg, Tomb of Yawgmoth
    1x Vault of Whispers
    1x Vesuva
    1x Voltaic Key
    1x Walking Ballista
    1x Wasteland
    5x Wastes
    1x Winter Orb
    1x Workshop Assistant
    1x Worn Powerstone
    1x Wurmcoil Engine
    1x Zoetic Cavern
  2. Terentius The Instigator

Love the name, love the story. Tappedout link? I thought you haven't been playing against actual opponents for a while?
  3. Oversoul The Tentacled One

Oops, TappedOut link added.

While I've had a been of a drought of consistently getting to sit down against real-life players, that changed earlier this year. There's an old LGS fairly close to where I live (place has been around since the 1980's I think and branched out from sports cards to comic books and TCG stuff). But the town it's in is kinda in the opposite direction of most of the travel I'd do for anything work-related, errands, etc. So I didn't usually make it over there. It's on the same street as where I used to buy work boots when I was in my previous job, so I'd sometimes pop in and check out their stock once or twice a year. Well, earlier this year I was near there to get my prescription updated for my eyeglasses. The Lenscrafters people told me they could actually get my lenses and frames set up that same day, but that it'd be about an hour before I could pick them up. So I drove over to the game store to see if they had anything interesting, and it just so happened that one of the guys I played Magic with in high school and college, but hadn't seen in years, had recently taken a job at the store as their general manager. He's been trying to proselytize local players to get more of a local Canlander community going and I was a pretty easy sell. It's a fun format and I was already tinkering with some deck concepts on rare occasions at home.

I'm enjoying it way more than EDH, and I plan to stick around.

That being said, it's not my ideal, as I believe that 60 cards is the right and proper size of a Magic deck. :p
  4. Oversoul The Tentacled One

Some minor changes after cracking a bunch of Dominaria packs. Firstly, Skullclamp was unreliable in this deck. If I did happen to get a good card that made tokens, the card-drawing was huge, but it didn't usually work out that way. And I guess I never mentioned, but the Mountain was a bit of a joke: I own a single Arabian Nights Mountain and wanted to put it in a deck as a gimmick. I actually drew my Mountain against a deck with Goblin King, which was hilarious. But yeah, swapping those out for some new cards...

-1 Skullclamp
    -1 Mountain
    +1 Traxos, Scourge of Kroog
    +1 Zhalfirin Void
  5. turgy22 Nothing Special

Your dedication to the joke should always come before the playability of the deck.
    Now get that stupid metamorph out of there and put your Mountain back in.
    Psarketos and Oversoul like this.
  6. Oversoul The Tentacled One

But Phyrexian Metamorph is so good! Like, really, really good.
  7. Psarketos Metacompositional Theoretician

Zhalfirin Void is a great card.