Black Weenie in extended...sugestions and ideas please.

P

PTQ

Haven't had a chance to play it yet. The idea is to dump bodies into the graveyard with Zombie Infestation, hopefully on top of Ashen Ghouls and Nether Shadows. Seems like it might be fun.

Ideas? Sideboard? Splash colour?

4 Dauthi Slayer
4 Foul Imp
4 Skittering Skirge
4 Nether Shadow
4 Ashen Ghoul

4 Zombie Infestation
4 Diabolic Edict
4 Nevinnaryl's Disk
4 Duress

4 Mox Diamond
20 Swamps

O

olwen

Looks a bit slow. Ashen Ghoul and Nether Shadow really needs something like Buried Alive to be effective. Wild Zombies by YMG splashed green for Hermit Druid to dump the library.

20 lands seems to few to effectively use the Disk.

Zombie Infestation needs lots of cards to discard to, the current preferred choice is Squee, and Krovikan Horror.

Sorry, no positive contribution here.

B

BigBlue

ok, being a BA player from way back. you need Buried alives to get the Ghouls in the Graveyard, I agree with the krovikian horor as well for some recursve action.

you also need to remember that shadow & ghoul only count creatures above them to come back, so you need more than 20 creatures in the deck for it to work well with ZI, swamps won't bring them back. Mox diamonds aren't too helpful either, even with Rit being gone, what is that 2nd mana gonna get you turn 1?

So mine might look something like:

4 Nether Shadow
4 Ashen Ghoul
4 Krovikian Horror (sac a ghoul or shadow to do a point to a creature or player, it'll be back plus it returns back to hand if a creature is on top for ZI.)
4 Marauding somethingorother (3/1 shadow)
4 Skittering Skirge

3 Nevinyrral's Disk
3 Buried Alive
4 Zombie Infestation or maybe Bad moon would be better?
4 Ghastly Demise
4 Diabolic Edict

4 Lake of the Dead (maybe just that I miss Rit badly, turn 3 b4 you could use it effectively and then for what? perhaps stick with swamps)
18 Swamps

other fun cards which might be worth trying are:

Soulshriek, Avatar of Woe (in moderation), Hidden Horror, or maybe something with threshold or mortivore.

B

BigBlue

Yet again, after spending a good deal of time working on a deck idea, I find someone else has beaten me to the punch. . .

Check this out.

I don't agree with everything he says/has, but it is pretty hard to argue against someone with more success than I.

I think mine is more a fun deck, and his would be much more consistent at the PTQ level, given your name is PTQ, I think you'd do well to check it out.

P

PTQ

Not quite what I was looking for in that Sideboard article. I was thinking more along the lines of the Necro-Weenie decks of old...

A white splash may not be a bad idea. Then I could use StP, Seals, Spectral Llynx...lot'sa stuff.

If I use Lake of the Dead, why not a couple of Drain Life? I love the ol' Lake-Drain.

I've only been to two Extended PTQ's thus far this season, and most everything I've played has been some kind of Aggro Control, with the exception of 1 Neo-Trix and 1 Stasis deck (both of which I beat with plain old Stompy...) But, it's the Three-Duce varients and Junk varients that have given me fits, strangely enough.

P

PTQ

Oh yeah...almost forgot that Black Knight was printed in 5th Ed. What about dropping the Skirges for them? They're un-plowable.

P

PTQ

Slightly revised deck list...

4 Dauthi Slayer
4 Foul Imp
4 Black Knight
4 Nether Shadow
4 Ashen Ghoul
4 Krovikan Horror

3 Zombie Infestation
4 Diabolic Edict
3 Nevinnaryl's Disk
4 Duress

22 Swamps

B

BigBlue

I was thinking of Siding the Black Knights to replace the skirge.

If you like the Lake Idea, then you could use culling the weak to get BBBB for one and a creature too. It could also help if you wanted to put Skeletal Scrying in to get more zombie fodder if that is the slant required at the time. (Like during their end step, hehe, discard 4 cards for 2 zombies then scrye to make s'more.)

I prefer the Disk to Massacre since it says byebye to living day, COP, whatever jank you might see. I would probably stick with duress over demise, I forgot it somehow. Not going to like furnace much if it is getting lots of play now. Null Rod might not be a bad idea.

Did you look at my deck below? It is standard, but U woiuld splash well imho. I always liked Reality Ripple on my disk, get to use them twice. . . and protects it from the nasty Disenchant too.