Votes: 0 0.0%
  • mirrodin

• ravnica

• Total voters
B

Budget Player Cadet

Votes for the best set in history (other than the broken sets: Alpha, Beta, Unlimited, Revised, Arabian Nights).
About the poll, I apologize that ice age and earlier aren't there, and lorwyn is excluded, but I was running out of space and had to cut corners.

Ransac

CPA Trash Man
I understand the rationale behind voting for Urza's block (it's so frickin' powerful), but I always had more fun with Rath Cycle (Tempest Block).

Ransac, cpa trash man

B

Budget Player Cadet

Ahh, I loved that cycle too. I'll never get over the power of the slivers, and I do have the queen. Now I just need a playset of Crystallines and two Alurens, and my sliving death will be done!

Spiderman

Administrator
Staff member
It's a tossup between Tempest and Mirage, but I'll go with Tempest because I like the buyback ability slightly more than CIP abilities.

Melkor

I enjoyed the power level of Urza's and it also was when my friends and I got back into playing Magic after our break from our youthful start.

B

BigBlue

I liked Mirage and Visions a lot. Weatherlight was a bit of a letdown, but flanking and phasing were interesting mechanics and not so broken... This was the first block I really started playing in tournaments with... by the time Urza's came around I was mostly judging and not playing. My friends had mostly stopped playing by then too...

I can't remember the last time we had a "regular" weekly game... but it was a long time ago. Now it's rare to get anyone up for playing.

Mirage was the first "true" block...

Ice Age was nice - I liked Alliances a lot too... but there wasn't a third until Coldsnap - and snow lands are a pain...

B

Budget Player Cadet

Yeah, again, I'm sorry, but there wasn't enough space. If someone in charge could change that, I would be grateful. At first, I wanted to poll the individual sets, but...

TomB

Administrator
Staff member
I liked Mirage about the best, and I thought Tempest was cool too...I stopped buying boxes after Masques though, so I really don't have enough experience with the cards to judge the later sets...:)

B

Budget Player Cadet

TomB said:
I liked Mirage about the best, and I thought Tempest was cool too...I stopped buying boxes after Masques though, so I really don't have enough experience with the cards to judge the later sets...:)
Hmm... I would also like to quote bursting beebles on this note

"The Beebles, like thousands of others, quit magic for years following the release of Mercadian Masques."

B

Budget Player Cadet

ANOTHER BATTLE ARENA THING!!!!
*Grog starts to think that there's a conspiracy against him and the arena.*

Ransac

CPA Trash Man
Nah, Spidey doesn't do much of anything in the Battle Arena.

*As Spidey grins while putting his cards together, Ransac lights a match to Spidey's highly flammable Spandex costume.*

Ransac, cpa trash man

B

Budget Player Cadet

*Gah! Another one! Grog prays, to god and Ransac, that he gets back his Optical Nitrous Oxide.*

Spiderman

Administrator
Staff member
** Mooseman, watching the antics nearby, starts to laugh uproarishly and lets out a huge fart, putting out the match AND everyone else comatose on the floor.

B

Budget Player Cadet

*Grog informs the rest of CPA that nitrous oxide is Laughing gas and that he was referring to Battle arena lines like The off-topic battle over nothing or A new era dawns in the battle arena... Not really but ransac stole your pants.

B

BigBlue

Visions is probably my favorite set... I can't exactly say why... but I like a lot of the cards and didn't "hate" any that I can think of.

I built a sandsipoise deck before they were netdecks... back then I used to be innovative... It was funny how decks I built would usually end up (better than mine to be honest) turning into net decks... I built a Buried Alive Deck for a friend of mine to take to states - it became a net deck a week or so after - certainly not based on mine per se... (He finished top 8 - I think 4th).

But, I stopped making tournament type decks a long time ago and just build casual decks for MP...

B

Budget Player Cadet

No action for days... I think the most popular block is urza's.
Well, this of course, is based on the opinion of eight nutcases and a young squirrel.

Killer Joe

Had to go with Tempest because 1.) it was my first 'official' block that I waited for in the stores and 2.) Traaaaaaadwind Riiiiiider! :D