best card

S

sole specter

best card in magic cant be power 9 do tell

i say stasis

R

Riva Iron-Grip

best card? hm...that's a toughy. how about, psychic battle, or volrath, or predator, or ascendant evincar, or armageddon, or apocalypse. damn....to many. if definite, apocalypse, or psychic battle or volrath, or predator, or ascendant evincar.damnit i did it again. :D

D

Darsh

Pestilence, perfect in it's simplicity.

BTW: Send this to the Classic Questions forum?

TomB

Administrator
Staff member
And in answer to your question, Darsh, probably. Let's wait for now and leave it here (greater visibility here, methinks).

G

Gizmo

mmm...Mind Twist? (first card to get banned for what it does rather than for being part of a combo)

Ransac

CPA Trash Man
Hmmm, that's a tough one. But the best, in my opinion is an Invasion card.

Urza's Rage

Ransac, cpa trash man

H

Hetemti

Really, any dragon kicks ass. Viashino Cutthroat is awesome too...however, each color has weaknessess...so, the best card must be colorless, therefore, it's a tossup betwixt Bone Mask and Cursed Scroll. (Really, the same card, just one offensive, and one defensive...and both's art is by D. Alexander Gregory! :) )

D

DÛke

...!

<Feels a stir deep within> The BEST card of all, say? Wow! I don't think it is possible to identify the best card in Magic...there is a possibility that ther are at least 3 or 4 cards that are tied for the place. <wanders a bit>

<speechless for a while>

<25 minutes have passed>

Ok, there is not a best card in Magic. There are plenty. I can't give an answer! I'm a faliure to answer this question...forgive me.

N

nodnarb24

the best has to be lightning bolt. It is efficient and simple.

Fuzzy510: Cyclopian Mummy is worse then that.

C

Cateran Emperor

No, neither of those are the worst. The worst card:

1) Can NOT be a creature. No matter how bad, they can chump or attack.

2) Not be able to damage an opponent. Regardless of how inefficient the burn is, it can still kill your opponent.

3) Not be able to force a player to draw cards. It can still make your opponent deck themselves first.

The best card of all time is Mind Twist. The best card right now is my favorite burn spell, Fireblast.

D

DÛke

..."best" if it's seen from one person's point of view. I mean, my personal favorite is, um <cough> Unmask. I'm sure it is not that powerful to begin with, but that's, the way Whimseee would put it: MAH point of view. However, if we "vote" on it, we might have something to talk about. I think this should be entitled as: "The best card for EACH color", not throughout the game...because that, on this Earth, is impossible.

G

Gizmo

Actually there are several occasions where I have wanted to use Cyclopean Mummy recently, most of them involving Nether Spirit - but it just goes to show...

M

Mr_Pestilence

Wow! Right on Darsh!

I'm glad to find another convert to the power of Pestilence!

T

Thallid Ice Cream Man

Best card: Hmm, either a Black Lotus or a Korean Volrath's Gardens, which has the ability "2, Tap a creature you control: You win the game. Play this ability as a sorcery."

As if it was significant, I will tell you that my favorite card (which doesn't necessarily make it the best - that means you, Zadok!) is Aluren. It's quite good too, but it isn't good to the level of the Korean Volrath's Gardens :D

I agree with Cateran Emperor's points about what the worst card must be. Hence, while Karplusan Giant and Cyclopean Mummy are both very bad cards (and I happen to think that the Giant is the worse of the two), the worst card has to be some enchantment (because that way only one or two color(s) can use it) with a weak effect. The worst card is probably Great Wall, despite people's points about Pale Moon. This is because of Great Wall's text:
Great Wall
2W
Enchantment from Legends
Creatures with plainswalk may be blocked as though they did not have this ability.

Since literally 1 - count 'em, 1 FRIKKIN' CARD* has built-in plainswalk, and I think 3 other cards (none of whom are used commonly) are capable of giving/getting it, Great Wall is only a little bit more useful than a card would be if it said "Sacrifice target non-green non-creature Blastoderm."

* That card is Righteous Avengers, a 3/1 plainswalk for 4W. That is up there too.