Amonkhet Release Notes

Discussion in 'Rules Questions' started by Spiderman, Apr 18, 2017.

1. Spiderman CPA Man in Tights, Dopey Administrative Assistant

2. Oversoul The Tentacled One

Anything official yet on Section 3.3 of the Tournament Rules? They keep talking about the new "Invocations" as being legal, but they clearly do not meet the criteria under the current version of the description of "Authorized Cards."
  3. Spiderman CPA Man in Tights, Dopey Administrative Assistant

I assume these Release Notes are addendums to the official rules when the set becomes legal, so they say the Invocations are only legal in Limited formats and specifically mention Sealed Deck and Booster Draft. They are NOT legal in Constructed if the cards weren't legal before.

But when in doubt, you can always write to Customer Service :)
  4. Oversoul The Tentacled One

So, to be clear, we have the Release Notes, which say...

But then the Tournament Rules say this...

Notably, last year they added a clause to this document for the sake of the six "meld pair" cards in Eldritch Moon. Also, this was why Mark Rosewater (at least I seem to remember it being him) pushed to make the basic lands in Unglued have black borders, even though the other cards in the set had silver borders.

Other people have already brought this up to them. Well, to the Community people via social media and to the rules people and some of R&D on other sites like Twitter and Reddit, but I'm guessing they were well aware of it long before they revealed the cards to the public. It's just a bit odd that it hasn't been fully addressed. After the question came up on his Q&A site thing (Blogatog?), Mark Rosewater answered "Are they black-bordered with a simple yes, even though it is obvious to anyone who has eyes that these cards do not have black borders. Later, Matt Taback was in some Twitter conversation and when that line in the Tournament Rules was brought up, he said something like, "We can change that." But they haven't actually released anything official yet, and it's getting extremely close to the set's release date. Weird that they wouldn't have already done a Tournament Rules update. The last version they put out was from January.

Really, it's just kind of weird. They have people who work specifically on support for tournament gameplay, and those people have generally been thorough. One would think that they have been sitting on an update that addresses the border issue for quite a while, but even if they failed to, they could easily have written one and then released it and no one would have been the wiser. It's not even incompetence: this is such an easy fix that anyone could do it and even if it had completely slipped by them initially, they could have just refrained from mentioning that they hadn't thought to fix it before. Why continue to wait?
  5. Spiderman CPA Man in Tights, Dopey Administrative Assistant

I don't see the conflict. If the Invocation cards are Authorized Game Cards, they merely have some additional conditions on what formats they can be used in.

But I agree that WOTC should put out some official wording/clarification since people are confused and obviously, what makes sense to some is not clear to others.
  6. Oversoul The Tentacled One

But, per the document that defines Authorized Game Cards, they are not. Sure, they are genuine and published by WotC, they have standard backs, they have rounded corners, they are not tokens, they are not marked, and they are legal in the formats where they are legal cards for the appropriate formats. But they do not have black or white borders. WotC has created official cards in the past that have gold borders or silver borders, but those cards are not Authorized Game Cards because they fail on this point (I believe that all of the gold-bordered cards they've produced also fail on the part about having a standard back). The Amonkhet Invocations also fail on this point.

I get that the intent is clearly for these cards to be playable where opened in Limited formats and also where another card the same name is legal in Constructed formats. They established that trend with the previous "Masterpiece" cards, the Zendikar Expeditions and the Kaladesh Inventions. And they said as much with these Release Notes (which a lot more people are going to see than the number of people who will go and check the Tournament Rules). But they also have a document that unequivocally disallows these cards in tournament play, and that document is official and ostensibly up-to-date. I'm not a judge or tournament operator. I'm not even really a tournament player, but I wouldn't want to be in the shoes of someone who has to deal with this if an issue comes up, because it's right there in black and white (rimshot).
  7. Spiderman CPA Man in Tights, Dopey Administrative Assistant

Ooooh. I thought they were; I didn't bother going to look at them :rolleyes: Yeah, now I see that it's more confusing than I thought.
  8. Oversoul The Tentacled One

Here's the tweet I mentioned earlier...

https://twitter.com/TabakRules/status/847144184167333888

It seems that was three weeks ago. But yeah, not seeing anything they've done about it since, other than the standard fare Release Notes. It's a bit surprising, but not really a problem for us casual players anyway. :p
  9. Melkor Active Member

Curious as to how they would word a change. Though, I don't think there are any other random non-legal border colors besides silver and gold, so I guess they could just reverse it. Rather than, "Has to have a white or black border" it would be "Can't have a gold or silver border"
  10. Spiderman CPA Man in Tights, Dopey Administrative Assistant

Here it is...

They changed it to "non-silver" border.