Dark Ascension Event Decks: Spidey (Spiraling Doom) vs Oversoul (Gleeful Flames)

Oversoul

The Tentacled One
I've always disliked cards that require random selection from graveyards. Old cards care about graveyard order and WotC apparently decided that because they didn't make such cards anymore, it would be fine to make Haunted Fengraf and the like because in Standard and other environments without old cards, you could just shuffle up the cards from your graveyard and throw your graveyard back in whatever order. Oh well, anyway...

Spiderman

Administrator
Staff member
Haven't really thought about the graveyard cards...

Untap, upkeep, Draw

Attack with the Emissary
Responses/blocks/take it?

Spiderman: 12
Hand: 5
Library: 48
Battlefield:

(U,U) Forest x2
(U,U) Swamp x2

(U) Strangleroot Geist (3/2 from ctr; Haste; Undying (When this creature dies, if it has no +1/+1 ctrs on it, return it to the battlefield under its owner's control with a +1/+1 ctr on it) *1 +1/+1 ctr*
(T,A) Viridian Emissary (2/1; When ~ dies, I may search my library for a basic land card, put it onto the battlefield tapped, then shuffle my library)

Graveyard:
Exile:

====================================================================================================

Oversoul: 15
Hand: 3
Library: 49
Battlefield:

(T,T,T,T) Mountain x4

(S) Goblin Arsonist (1/1; When ~ dies, I may have it deal 1 damage to target creature or player.)

Graveyard: Brimstone Volley, Hellrider, Haunted Fengraf
Exile:

Oversoul

The Tentacled One
I'll block with the Arsonist. Assuming no other effects, I'll have Arsonist's ability target you.

Spiderman

Administrator
Staff member
There are no further effects. I will get a Forest with the Emissary's ability.

Swamp
Wake Dancer w/Morbid

Done

Spiderman: 11
Library: 47
Battlefield:

(T,U,T) Forest x3
(T,T,U) Swamp x3

(U) Strangleroot Geist (3/2 from ctr; Haste; Undying (When this creature dies, if it has no +1/+1 ctrs on it, return it to the battlefield under its owner's control with a +1/+1 ctr on it) *1 +1/+1 ctr*
(S) Wake Dancer (2/2; Morbid - When ~ ETB, if a creature died this turn, put a 2/2 black Zombie creature token onto the battlefield)
(S) Zombie creature token (2/2)

Graveyard: Doom Blade, Viridian Emissary
Exile:

====================================================================================================

Oversoul: 15
Library: 49
Battlefield:

(T,T,T,T) Mountain x4

Graveyard: Brimstone Volley, Hellrider, Haunted Fengraf, Goblin Arsonist
Exile:

Oversoul

The Tentacled One
UUD, Forge Devil (targeting Strangleroot Geist, not that it matters), Goblin Arsonist, Goblin Grenade aimed at you and sacrificing Goblin Arsonist also targeting you. Done.

Spiderman: 11 5?
Library: 47
Battlefield:

(T,U,T) Forest x3
(T,T,U) Swamp x3

(S) Wake Dancer (2/2; Morbid - When ~ ETB, if a creature died this turn, put a 2/2 black Zombie creature token onto the battlefield)
(S) Zombie creature token (2/2)

Exile:

Oversoul: 14
Hand: 1
Battlefield:

(U,T,T,T) Mountain x4

(S) Forge Devil (When ~ etb, it deals 1 damage to target creature and 1 damage to me).

Graveyard: Brimstone Volley, Hellrider, Haunted Fengraf, Goblin Arsonist, Goblin Arsonist, Goblin Grenade
Exile:

Spiderman

Administrator
Staff member
Going for the direct damage, eh? Man, I sure hope you don't have or draw another Grenade...

Untap, upkeep, Draw

Attack with all
Responses/blocks/take it?

Spiderman: 5
Hand: 4
Library: 46
Battlefield:

(U,U,U) Forest x3
(U,U,U) Swamp x3

(T,A) Strangleroot Geist (3/2 from ctr; Haste; Undying (When this creature dies, if it has no +1/+1 ctrs on it, return it to the battlefield under its owner's control with a +1/+1 ctr on it) *1 +1/+1 ctr*
(T,A) Wake Dancer (2/2; Morbid - When ~ ETB, if a creature died this turn, put a 2/2 black Zombie creature token onto the battlefield)
(T,A) Zombie creature token (2/2)

Exile:

Oversoul: 14
Battlefield:

(U,T,T,T) Mountain x4

(S) Forge Devil (When ~ etb, it deals 1 damage to target creature and 1 damage to me).

Graveyard: Brimstone Volley, Hellrider, Haunted Fengraf, Goblin Arsonist, Goblin Arsonist, Goblin Grenade
Exile:

Spiderman

Administrator
Staff member
That's 7

So a little nervous and worried that you have a second Grenade and that's why you didn't block, so...

Forest
Diabolic Tutor
Doom Blade the Devil

Done
Spiderman: 5
Hand: 2
Library: 45
Battlefield:

(T,T,T,U) Forest x4
(T,T,T) Swamp x3

(T) Strangleroot Geist (3/2 from ctr; Haste; Undying (When this creature dies, if it has no +1/+1 ctrs on it, return it to the battlefield under its owner's control with a +1/+1 ctr on it) *1 +1/+1 ctr*
(T) Wake Dancer (2/2; Morbid - When ~ ETB, if a creature died this turn, put a 2/2 black Zombie creature token onto the battlefield)
(T) Zombie creature token (2/2)

Graveyard: Doom Blade, Viridian Emissary, Diabolic Tutor, Doom Blade
Exile:

Oversoul: 7
Battlefield:

(U,T,T,T) Mountain x4

Graveyard: Brimstone Volley, Hellrider, Haunted Fengraf, Goblin Arsonist, Goblin Arsonist, Goblin Grenade, Forge Devil
Exile:

Oversoul

The Tentacled One
Well, I'm dead. I didn't have a second Goblin Grenade or a goblin to use it with in the first place (Forge Devil isn't a goblin). If I'd had those, I'd have just cast them and killed you instead of playing the crappy Forge Devil. I did have Artillerize, but my next draw is Infiltration Lens and I can't cast both in the same turn with only four lands, so I'm dead.

Good game. I almost had you, but the Doom Blades disrupted my plan. I should have played a bit differently in hindsight, but I also expected more gas out of my topdecks than what I got.

Spiderman

Administrator
Staff member
LOL. You kept playing the Arsonist so I just thought it was basically a Goblin deck, even though I looked up what Forge Devil did. Good game!

I guess we switch now...