Magic 2012 Event Decks: Spidey (Illusionary Might) vs Oversoul (Vampire Onslaught)

Spiderman

Administrator
Staff member
The Pawn is only triggered from creatures you control, so you would just get 2 Spawns, but everything else is correct, I believe.

R

rokapoke

The Pawn is only triggered from creatures you control, so you would just get 2 Spawns, but everything else is correct, I believe.
I spotted that too, but he had cast a second Pawn at the beginning of the turn (pre-combat). That's why he gets the 4 Spawns.

Spiderman

Administrator
Staff member
Dang those Pawns! Good thing you're here to double-check, rokapoke! :)

So Oversoul, your original combat result is correct.

Oversoul

The Tentacled One
Viscera Seer, done.

Spiderman: 8
Hand: 2
Library: 45
Battlefield:

(T,T,T,T,T) Island x5
(U) Glimmerpost (When ~ ETB, I gain 1 life for each Locus on the battlefield.; T: Add C to my mana pool)

Graveyard: Aether Adept, Aether Adept, Preordain, Aether Adept, Mind Control, Lord of the Unreal, Spined Thopter

Exile:

====================================================================================================

Oversoul: 17
Library: 46
Battlefield:

(T,T,T,T) Swamp x4

(S) Pawn of Ulamog (2/2; Whenever ~ or another nontoken creature I control dies, I may put a 0/1 colorless Eldrazi Spawn token creature onto the battlefield. It has "Sac this creature: Add 1 to my mana pool.)
(T) Bloodghast (2/1; Can't block. ~ has haste if opponent has 10 life or less. If ~ is in the graveyard and land etb under my control, I can return ~ to the battlefield.)
(S) Viscera Seer (1/1; Sac a creature: Scry 1.)
(U) Eldrazi Spawn (0/1; Sac ~: Add C to my mana pool.)
(S) Eldrazi Spawn (0/1; Sac ~: Add C to my mana pool.)

Graveyard: Vampire Lacerator, Pawn of Ulamog, Viscera Seer, Gatekeeper of Malakir, Pawn of Ulamog
Exile:

Spiderman

Administrator
Staff member
Dang.

Untap, upkeep, Draw

Well, let's see if he lasts. Phantasmal Dragon
Porcelain Legionaire, paying the 2 life as part of the cost

Done

Spiderman: 6
Hand: 1
Library: 44
Battlefield:

(T,T,T,T,T) Island x5
(T) Glimmerpost (When ~ ETB, I gain 1 life for each Locus on the battlefield.; T: Add C to my mana pool)

(S) Phantasmal Dragon (5/5; Flying; When ~ becomes the target of a spell or ability, sac it)
(S) Porcelain Legionaire (3/1; First Strike)

Graveyard: Aether Adept, Aether Adept, Preordain, Aether Adept, Mind Control, Lord of the Unreal, Spined Thopter

Exile:

====================================================================================================

Oversoul: 17
Library: 46
Battlefield:

(T,T,T,T) Swamp x4

(S) Pawn of Ulamog (2/2; Whenever ~ or another nontoken creature I control dies, I may put a 0/1 colorless Eldrazi Spawn token creature onto the battlefield. It has "Sac this creature: Add 1 to my mana pool.)
(T) Bloodghast (2/1; Can't block. ~ has haste if opponent has 10 life or less. If ~ is in the graveyard and land etb under my control, I can return ~ to the battlefield.)
(S) Viscera Seer (1/1; Sac a creature: Scry 1.)

Graveyard: Vampire Lacerator, Pawn of Ulamog, Viscera Seer, Gatekeeper of Malakir, Pawn of Ulamog
Exile:

Oversoul

The Tentacled One
EOT sac a Spawn to Seer, move card to the bottom, sac a Spawn to Seer, move card to the bottom, sac a Spawn to the Seer, leave the card on top, sac a Spawn for C, pay 4 life and the mana from the Spawn to Dismember Phantasmal Dragon (totally killing it twice, which I apparently found to be necessary).

UUD, sac Bloodghast to Viscera Seer and get a Spawn, move the card to the bottom, play Verdant Catacombs, return Bloodghast to the battlefield, sac Bloodghast to Viscera Seer and get a Spawn, move the card to the bottom, activate Verdant Catacombs and shuffle up my library including all those Swamps I put on the bottom :)confused:), find a Swamp and return Bloodghast to the battlefield again, attack with Bloodghast, Pawn of Ulamog, and Viscera Seer. Blocks/responses?

Oversoul

The Tentacled One
Pawn makes another Spawn, Vampire Nighthawk, done.

Spiderman: 4
Battlefield:

(T,T,T,T,T) Island x5
(T) Glimmerpost (When ~ ETB, I gain 1 life for each Locus on the battlefield.; T: Add C to my mana pool)

(S) Porcelain Legionaire (3/1; First Strike)

Graveyard: Aether Adept, Aether Adept, Preordain, Aether Adept, Mind Control, Lord of the Unreal, Spined Thopter, Phantasmal Dragon

Exile:

Oversoul: 12
Hand: 0
Battlefield:

(T,T,T,U,U) Swamp x4

(T) Pawn of Ulamog (2/2; Whenever ~ or another nontoken creature I control dies, I may put a 0/1 colorless Eldrazi Spawn token creature onto the battlefield. It has "Sac this creature: Add 1 to my mana pool.)
(S) Vampire Nighthawk (2/3; Flying, Deathtouch, Lifelink.)

Graveyard: Vampire Lacerator, Pawn of Ulamog, Viscera Seer, Gatekeeper of Malakir, Pawn of Ulamog, Viscera Seer
Exile:

Spiderman

Administrator
Staff member
Untap, upkeep, Draw

Mind Control the Nighthawk

Done

Spiderman: 4
Library: 43
Battlefield:

(T,T,T,T,U) Island x5

Mind Control (I control enchanted creature)

(U) Porcelain Legionaire (3/1; First Strike)

Graveyard: Aether Adept, Aether Adept, Preordain, Aether Adept, Mind Control, Lord of the Unreal, Spined Thopter, Phantasmal Dragon

Exile:

Battlefield:

(T,T,T,U,U) Swamp x4

(T) Pawn of Ulamog (2/2; Whenever ~ or another nontoken creature I control dies, I may put a 0/1 colorless Eldrazi Spawn token creature onto the battlefield. It has "Sac this creature: Add 1 to my mana pool.)
(S) Vampire Nighthawk (2/3; Flying, Deathtouch, Lifelink.) *Controlled?*

Graveyard: Vampire Lacerator, Pawn of Ulamog, Viscera Seer, Gatekeeper of Malakir, Pawn of Ulamog, Viscera Seer
Exile:

Oversoul

The Tentacled One
Mind Control resolves. You get the Nighthawk.

Are you at 2 or are you at 4? I had you at 2, and somehow it says 4. If it's 2, then I think I can kill you. If it's 4, perhaps Mind Control can save you...

Edit: I realize I might be asking the wrong person, since it's my post that says 4 and you copied it. But I honestly have no idea why it says that. I know for certain that it said 2. And then I had to remake the entire post because for some reason the forum software turned all of the text black and bolded it. Sped through it the second time around, but I doubt that I typed 4 in there, as it's not next to 2. Thought maybe you'd known it was supposed to be 4 on account of something I missed and you'd gone in and fixed it. I dunno...

Spiderman

Administrator
Staff member
No, I didn't touch it, I just copied your post which said 4. But I believe you're right that I'm at 2; I took 4 from the attack - from Pawn and Bloodghast. So I changed it below and added the Nighthawk to my side, so hopefully it's correct and you can take your turn.

Spiderman: 2
Library: 43
Battlefield:

(T,T,T,T,U) Island x5

Mind Control (I control enchanted creature)

(U) Porcelain Legionaire (3/1; First Strike)
(S) Vampire Nighthawk (2/3; Flying, Deathtouch, Lifelink.) *Controlled*

Exile:

Battlefield:

(T,T,T,U,U) Swamp x4

Exile:

Oversoul

The Tentacled One
Well, here we go...

Kalastria Highborn, attack with Pawn and Bloodghast. Unless you're holding something that changes things, that should be lethal no matter how you block. Nighthawk can block one and take you up to 4, and Legionnaire can block one, but if either vampire is blocked, it will die in combat and I'll pay B to Kalastria Highborn for it.

Spiderman

Administrator
Staff member
Yeah, that's it.

I think how it would go is that if I block both, whichever one is blocked by the Legionaire would die first and you could use the Highborn to finish me off. If I just use the Nighthawk to block and let the other through, I would die from the unblocked Vampire as a state-based effect before the lifelink or Highborn resolve.

So good game! Wasn't mana flooded this time but the Seer kept me from using the Mind Controls effectively. I guess onto Innistrad.

Oversoul

The Tentacled One
Good game. I think these two are probably about even against each other, but in our games, you were more manadrowned than I was the first time, and then in the second game I was able to force a series of combat trades that were more favorable for me, and once I had you lower in life, I was able to keep the pressure on with help from the Seers. I didn't have anything particularly special to make the deck do anything crazy, and I thought you might stabilize and find a way to turn things around, but I managed to stay ahead for long enough.

Onward to Innistrad!

Spiderman

Administrator
Staff member
Yeah, the Seer and scry helped a lot, I think. I was hoping the Mind Control would stabilize it for me but the Seer acted as a great defense against it.