New Phyrexia Event Decks: Spidey (War of Attrition) vs Oversoul (Rot From Within)

R

rokapoke

Out of curiosity (I'm far from up-to-date with Magic rules these days), would the Rot Wolf's card draw activate upon killing a germ token?

Oversoul

The Tentacled One
Yes. "Dies" is now rules shorthand for "is put into a graveyard from the battlefield." Tokens creatures go to the graveyard like normal ones, but once they change zones, they cease to exist as a state-based effect. Rot Wolf's ability only cares that a creature died, not that it stays in the graveyard.

R

rokapoke

Yes. "Dies" is now rules shorthand for "is put into a graveyard from the battlefield." Tokens creatures go to the graveyard like normal ones, but once they change zones, they cease to exist as a state-based effect. Rot Wolf's ability only cares that a creature died, not that it stays in the graveyard.
Thanks for the clarification. Magic rules can be weird.

Oversoul

The Tentacled One
I'll activate Blight Mamba's regeneration ability. Nothing further than that in combat for me, but I'll wait for confirmation from you before moving to my second main phase.

Oversoul

The Tentacled One
Blight Mamba regenerates and survives. Viridian Corrupter dies. Both Germ tokens die. Rot Wolf and Inkmoth Nexus hit you for a total of 3 poison. Second main phase, I tap out to cast another Overgrown Battlement. My hand size seems to have gotten off somehow. Perhaps I didn't lower it last turn? I wanted to say that it's a 0 but looking at the previous posts it is working out to 1. Either I missed something (possible) or I forgot some card that is still in my hand (also possible). I'll figure it out when I get home, I suppose. But I'm tapped out either way. Done here. Yep, it's 1. Anyway, still done.

Spiderman: 20
Poison: 9
Hand: 2
Library: 46
Battlefield:

(T,T,T,T,U,U) Plains x6

(U) Flayer Husk (Living Weapon; Equipped creature gets +1/+1; Equip 2)
(U) Bonehoard (Living Weapon; Equipped creature gets +X/+X, where X is the # of creature cards in all graveyards [currently 2]; Equip 2)

(U) Stoneforge Mystic (1/2; When ~ ETB, I may search my library for an Equipment card, reveal it, put it into my hand, then shuffle my library.; 1W, T: I may put an Equipment card from my hand onto the battlefield)
Graveyard: Skinwing, Sword of Vengeance, Stoneforge Mystic
Exile:

====================================================================================================

Oversoul: 19
Poison: 0
Hand: 1
Library: 47
Battlefield:

(T,T,T,T) Forest x4
(T) Inkmoth Nexus (T: C. 1: ~ becomes a 1/1 Blinkmoth artifact creature with Flying and Infect ueot.)

(T) Overgrown Battlement (0/4; Defender. T: Add G to my mana pool for each creature with defender I control)
(S) Overgrown Battlement (0/4; Defender. T: Add G to my mana pool for each creature with defender I control)
(T) Blight Mamba (1/1; Infect. 1G: Regenerate ~.)
(T) Rot Wolf (2/2; Infect. Whenever a creature dealt damage by ~ this turn is put into a graveyard, I may draw a card.)

Graveyard: Mutagenic Growth, Viridian Corrupter, Viridan Corrupter
Exile:

Spiderman

Administrator
Staff member
Looks like this is it.

Untap, upkeep, Draw

Plains
Sickleslicer
Equip the Husk and Bonehoard to the Mystic

Done

Spiderman: 20
Poison: 9
Library: 45
Battlefield:

(T,T,T,T,T,T,T) Plains x7

(U) Flayer Husk (Living Weapon; Equipped creature gets +1/+1; Equip 2)
(U) Bonehoard (Living Weapon; Equipped creature gets +X/+X, where X is the # of creature cards in all graveyards [currently 3]; Equip 2)
(U) Sickleslicer (Living Weapon; Equipped creature gets +2/+2; Equip 4)

(U) Stoneforge Mystic (5/6 from Husk and Bonehoard; When ~ ETB, I may search my library for an Equipment card, reveal it, put it into my hand, then shuffle my library.; 1W, T: I may put an Equipment card from my hand onto the battlefield) *Equipped w/Hush and Bonehoard*
(S) Germ creature token (2/2 from Sickleslicer) *Equipped w/Sickleslicer*

Graveyard: Skinwing, Sword of Vengeance, Stoneforge Mystic
Exile:

====================================================================================================

Oversoul: 19
Poison: 0
Library: 47
Battlefield:

(T,T,T,T) Forest x4
(T) Inkmoth Nexus (T: C. 1: ~ becomes a 1/1 Blinkmoth artifact creature with Flying and Infect ueot.)

(T) Overgrown Battlement (0/4; Defender. T: Add G to my mana pool for each creature with defender I control)
(S) Overgrown Battlement (0/4; Defender. T: Add G to my mana pool for each creature with defender I control)
(T) Blight Mamba (1/1; Infect. 1G: Regenerate ~.)
(T) Rot Wolf (2/2; Infect. Whenever a creature dealt damage by ~ this turn is put into a graveyard, I may draw a card.)

Graveyard: Mutagenic Growth, Viridian Corrupter, Viridan Corrupter
Exile:

Oversoul

The Tentacled One
Good game. As soon as I saw Inkmoth Nexus, I was all, "Initiate Operation Kill Spidey Before He Gets Another Flying Blocker." For all the games I've seen played on this board over the years, I think this is the first time I've seen one actually end with a player getting 10 Poison counters. So at least there's that. I totally forget what's in the 2012 Event Decks, but I guess we'll find out soon enough...

Spiderman

Administrator
Staff member
Yeah, I definitely needed a Skyhunter. Mirran Crusader might have helped holding off the ground force too.